Boat Insurance - any advice or tips

northfork

Any tips from the seasoned boaters regarding marine insurance. New to me 18.5 ft cuddy with 150 outboard. Pleasure use only. Already have a marine survey report with valuation. Any advice related to getting boat insurance much appreciated. Ins and outs, what to watch for, recommendations, etc. Any insurers that are better than others should you ever have to deal with a claim. Thanks

Last edited:
I just renewed my 542. Stayed with beacon as they were the cheapest and beast coverage. I was told by hub that they would be hard pressed to match beacon

I just renewed my 542. Stayed with beacon as they were the cheapest and beast coverage. I was told by hub that they would be hard pressed to match beacon
Would you mind sharing the cost/coverage. I also have a 542.

also interested for my 185 aka 542 the year after mine. I get insurance every year but have never gotten a survey or ever been asked for one, is that normal? Should i be worried, my insurance is through Premier Marine and through a local broker, my annual cost is $295.00 as of last summer, is that a good price? I carry $2000000 liability and boat is insured for $15000.

Thanks

also interested for my 185 aka 542 the year after mine. I get insurance every year but have never gotten a survey or ever been asked for one, is that normal? Should i be worried, my insurance is through Premier Marine and through a local broker, my annual cost is $295.00 as of last summer, is that a good price? I carry $2000000 liability and boat is insured for $15000.

Thanks
Price sounds good. They may request a survey at anytime had to go through that 2 seasons ago. Not a bad thing to have up to date but I wouldn’t bother until requested or selling the boat.

Price sounds good. They may request a survey at anytime had to go through that 2 seasons ago. Not a bad thing to have up to date but I wouldn’t bother until requested or selling the boat.
Usually every 5 years.... but dont mention it to them for gosh sakez!

Just received a quote from Premier Marine and they were the lowest so far and lower than Beacon as well. On my quote they listed the boat and motor on same line with combined value which matches my recent valuation report. So far Premier is the lowest at $520 followed by Beacon at $652 and Aviva at $947 which didn’t even include my trailer. Looking like Premier Marine might be better for my situation. For reference my 18.5 with 150hp main and trailer recent valuation is $24k. Might check out Portside next as well.

I don’t have a kicker so not on the policy, my main is covered under the vessel. My concern is the medical and accidental death. Have left a message for my insurance guy to ask, I am also with premiere marine.

Just received a quote from Premier Marine and they were the lowest so far and lower than Beacon as well. On my quote they listed the boat and motor on same line with combined value which matches my recent valuation report. So far Premier is the lowest at $520 followed by Beacon at $652 and Aviva at $947 which didn’t even include my trailer. Looking like Premier Marine might be better for my situation. For reference my 18.5 with 150hp main and trailer recent valuation is $24k. Might check out Portside next as well.
Your trailer is insured with ICBC already so I wouldn’t think you would need that on there

Your trailer is insured with ICBC already so I wouldn’t think you would need that on there
Thats a good point...can’t see why need that double counted unless you were only planning to insure your trailer for a portion of the year instead of a full year. If that was the case, having it on the boat policy would cover for theft in event it wasn’t insured thru ICBC I suppose. Also maybe ICBC wouldn’t cover for full valuation like the boat policy would in the event of theft. Will check into that.

Back