Boat handling instruction

Flying Cloud

I have some experience with smaller boats but recently upgraded to a 25' cruiser with single outboard. I found the bigger boat a bit intimidating when docking to my narrow slip. Would like to get some docking instructions on my boat. Anyone can help?

Advthxance is right on the money. Go slow. In gear, out of gear, in gear out of gear. Remember its rear wheel drive and rear wheel steering. If you have ever driven a forklift pretend its that........in good conditions of course.

I have some experience with smaller boats but recently upgraded to a 25' cruiser with single outboard. I found the bigger boat a bit intimidating when docking to my narrow slip. Would like to get some docking instructions on my boat. Anyone can help?
NEVER approach a dock faster than you would want to hit it.... cause you’re likely going to hit it when staring out.

Excellent advice on here.

If you can get one line attached near where you steer and use it as a spring until you get all the other lines out and snugged-up where you want them - you should find it easier when tying-up by yourself. If possible - use a loop back to the boat, put one engine in slow ahead, and you can slowly let out line until you get where you want along the dock - and cleat it off. Then put out all your other lines the way you want them. Keep your engine slow ahead until you do. You may have to turn the wheel slightly to get the boat to line up nicely flat across the side of the dock. When that happens - you are home.

HIGHLY recommend at least 2 springs (fore & aft). Springs allow the boat to go up and down in the waves alongside.

Don't tie strait across off to the nearest cleat/bollard. It will chafe off in waves. Instead run longer lines that allow your boat to pivot up/down in the waves, but keep it strait alongside. Keep the ropes hand-tight. There's enough slack in your nylon ropes for any shocks. Too much slack and your boat will get caught on the dock if it wobbles around too much.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your great advice! I find them very helpful. Will find a calm day and practice more. Before I get my hands on the book recommended, what are some of the practices I can do to get familiar with the new boat?

Here is what I gathered so far.
1. Holding the boat in position
2. Pivot
3. Find a buoy or log and practice docking and leaving the dock in various configuration

Anything else that you think are useful?

Thank you all for your great advice! I find them very helpful. Will find a calm day and practice more. Before I get my hands on the book recommended, what are some of the practices I can do to get familiar with the new boat?

Here is what I gathered so far.
1. Holding the boat in position
2. Pivot
3. Find a buoy or log and practice docking and leaving the dock in various configuration

Anything else that you think are useful?
Wind and current are the biggest things you should consider when docking. Some situations require defense and some offense.

I have a 30 foot boat and actually found it easier to put on the dock than the smaller one before it. Others have given great advice: use lots of neutral and in gear only for seconds. No distractions. Go slow. With bigger boats you have momentum. Have fenders and long lines ready to go. Aim at 45 degrees to the point on the dock where you want to tie up. Then steer in to position. Use reverse and helm to pull the stern in and to take off way. Your early objective is only to get a mid-ships line on a dock cleat. Once that is done, you're home-free. Coming into a finger float, anticipate drift from wind or current and use it to your advantage. Line up. Get a line on and walk your boat back. If you miss the first attempt, back slowly away and start over. Practice early morning with little wind and no audience.

Lots of good information on YouTube search for Technician‘s Tuesday docking a single engine boat, I watch these videos all the time for lots of good boating and maintenance ideas

While practicing/ learning it’s always good to have a buddy on board with one of those poles with a rubber tip in the end. I was that buddy when my friend got his first boat (32’er)

also owning this shirt is helpful:

4C00C75A-D17A-431B-8557-BEA65AB97865.png

Last edited:
While practicing/ learning it’s always good to have a buddy on board with one of those poles with a rubber tip in the end. I was that buddy when my friend got his first boat (32’er)

also owning this shirt is helpful:
View attachment 61361
I need this.

There should be one that says "when we were landing that fish."

This is sort of what I was talking about FC about springs and mooring lines. The ones they have labelled as "breast" lines are a really bad idea for long-term tying-up. Fine in the short term while you are loading/unloading to keep the boat close to the dock - but guaranteed over time will chafe and part if your marina gets any wave action. If you use them while offloading - remember to untie them afterwards if you boat will sit thru poor weather - or just keep buying new mooring lines if you have that money. Hard on your cleats, as well.

The springs allow the boat to bounce around, but still stay alongside and pointing the right way (no twisting into the dock). That's why they call them springs - they are like shock absorbers.

dock-lines-illustration-figure-a.gif

and position #3 illustrates what I was saying in post #8 about using a spring to hold you where you want to be alongside while you fix all the other lines where you want:
560b249825d0352ee0b87b82c101eeff.jpg

pretty sure i sent you an email on craigslist?

and get a suicide nob!!

Back