Boat big enough for offshore?

I fish out of Bamfield (in-laws have a lodge there) in a 23 ft Grady & have fished offshore regularly for around 7 years. Boat etc. seems very seaworthy but depending how far you go it can be dicey getting back without radar if the weather changes & the fog rolls in. My hesitation is the boat has no radar; of course, guys have done it for years but usually as people get older, they get smarter...if they are willing to learn from their mistakes & close calls. A buddy boat with radar would help but only if they would find you again if you get seperated in dense fog. Fish 5 & 7 mile to start & as your comfort & skill grow, go from there. As a guide & captain of the boat, I often find the trip home the most stressful part of the day as I am worn out physically & mentally, the weather has possibly picked up, & I must 'drive' the boat more as we travel with the waves. It's a smoother ride but requires more skill & attention for the captain imo because you are on/off the throttle & getting pushed from behind. I am by no means an expert & still learn something about the sea when I go out, usually by making some form of a mistake or thinking afterwards about what I could have done better. Enjoy your time out there & stop into Harbourside Lodge for some tips and advice. All the best and safe travels, Brett
Big swells pushing you in the butt with a cross wind in the dense fog(blind) is bit stressful i agree, comming in from offshore at cape beal in the fog is fun, my radar crap out on me last year and did the trip a couple time and i would never do it again, i fix my radar (cable) and i still dont like comming in in dense fog, at least i see what is around me

Enjoy your time out there & stop into Harbourside Lodge for some tips and advice. All the best and safe travels, Brett

Thanks for the comments. I'll be a permanent VI resident as of next year so I look forward to getting over to the WCVI more often than I do now. For sure I will be adding radar before next spring as per all the great suggestions form members. I'll be sure and stop in and say hello. Be sure to give a wave if you see us on the water. Staying at Mckay 27 ~ 31, then over at Salmon beach until the 4th.

Back