BLUEWOLF IS FOR SALE!!!!!!

Well I was in the office again today and YELLOW is definatlly what I said and blue is self inspection.

Had to go look at the forms once again (thanks Rich LOL) and blue is designated as a self inspection.

And like i said yellow has the stablity test done on your vessel

As current as it can get.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wow, an interesting twist on this thread for sure. Blue sticker is the self inspection. You must ensure and sign off that your vessel complies. If you play the game on the inspection, you will get caught. The process is simple, and the TC guys are very helpful. One thing everyone will have to do is complete the stability testing as part of your Self Inspection process. I haven't completed this yet - waiting for warmer and dryer weather - and to gather a few buddies together so we can help each other follow the instructions properly.

Gil is correct on the enforcement - the new boats (6 of them) will be re-deployed after the Olympics. There are a lot of operators who are non-compliant and have no interest in taking the time and money to prepare themselves and boats to comply with safe operation. I'm not sure I understand the resistance to this program....its our safety as much as our guests. The sea is extremely unforgiving - it simply isn't worth cutting corners.

I kind of view all this stuff the way I pick my airlines...I would rather pay a little more for a quality flight crew and plane and fly safe with peace of mind than fly an air carrier that is forced to cut corners on safety because they undercut prices of the quality operators. Who would you choose, and how much is your life worth? The sport fishing charter industry needs to start thinking about our business the same way.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I'm Once again just trying to clarify terms of the TC inspection process
I did a stability test on my vessel as well and still qualifies as a self-inspection process.
I also believe that during the whole process of changing over from yellow to blue the whole process became confusing to most involved.
Either way.... It's all about the sticker and paperwork... You've either got involved with the process or not.... Your choice!

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

quote:Originally posted by searun

Wow, an interesting twist on this thread for sure. Blue sticker is the self inspection. You must ensure and sign off that your vessel complies. If you play the game on the inspection, you will get caught. The process is simple, and the TC guys are very helpful. One thing everyone will have to do is complete the stability testing as part of your Self Inspection process. I haven't completed this yet - waiting for warmer and dryer weather - and to gather a few buddies together so we can help each other follow the instructions properly.

Gil is correct on the enforcement - the new boats (6 of them) will be re-deployed after the Olympics. There are a lot of operators who are non-compliant and have no interest in taking the time and money to prepare themselves and boats to comply with safe operation. I'm not sure I understand the resistance to this program....its our safety as much as our guests. The sea is extremely unforgiving - it simply isn't worth cutting corners.

I kind of view all this stuff the way I pick my airlines...I would rather pay a little more for a quality flight crew and plane and fly safe with peace of mind than fly an air carrier that is forced to cut corners on safety because they undercut prices of the quality operators. Who would you choose, and how much is your life worth? The sport fishing charter industry needs to start thinking about our business the same way.

Searun

th_067.jpg
ya we should maybe start another new thread on this ongoing subject....I too am amazed by how many charter guys are trying to fly under the radar.....you are right Pat, they will be caught and not soon enough as far as I'm concerned....we are losing way too many clients and way too much money to the weekenders....I guess you have heard bout the boats coming too....its my understanding that there are 18 but maybe they are all not going to be deployed over here.....whatever the number it will be good to see them finally doing something after four or five years of lip service....the Kelowna TC office is doing alot of follow up to paper work already in the system, so I know something is going on at least from that end....as far as stability testing goes, good idea to get some guys together and try to work through it together....lets do it...give me a shout....

Thanks Gil, yes I would be interested in getting a few guys together so we can all work on the stability test and make sure we get it correct.

As far as I understand the new sticker process they are now all blue, no more yellow one's. We are required to complete the process ourselves and can be inspected at any time later by TC at their discretion. I'm gathering they do not have the manpower to physically inspect all vessels so when you apply for an inspection you are on a wait list. Your self inspection is reviewed by a TC inspector and approved or requests for more info are sent back. The TC inspector I had an email conversation with said it would really help my application if I could support all modifications and required stability tests with photos. They are trying to make this easy for both TC and industry.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Thanks Gil, yes I would be interested in getting a few guys together so we can all work on the stability test and make sure we get it correct.

As far as I understand the new sticker process they are now all blue, no more yellow one's. We are required to complete the process ourselves and can be inspected at any time later by TC at their discretion. I'm gathering they do not have the manpower to physically inspect all vessels so when you apply for an inspection you are on a wait list. Your self inspection is reviewed by a TC inspector and approved or requests for more info are sent back. The TC inspector I had an email conversation with said it would really help my application if I could support all modifications and required stability tests with photos. They are trying to make this easy for both TC and industry.

Searun

th_067.jpg
Ya I will talk to some guys up here at the SVOP course and see who wants to get together. Here is some contact info for a TC Marine in Kelowna. If anyone has questions regarding any issues give her a call. She is very helpful....Pat I will get in touch...

Kimberley Mikoula
Transport Canada
Marine Safety
Ph: 250-491-3714
Fx: 250-491-3710

Searun

th_067.jpg
Just a quick note to the guys doing stability testing or anything else with TC....apparently you have 60 day validation period for any information to remain valid after that you must resubmit the information to TC....this means you have 60 days to get changes made or problems rectified from the date of written contact with TC...was just made aware of this today....

Cheers All,

Please, make no mistake on this: I am all for responsibility on the water and ensuring that, through minimim standards, both owner/operators AND clients are safe while sportsfishing in BC. This means I have all my coursework complete as well as finishing my Blue Decal (stability testing for NEWLY constructed boats are quite involved).

I have read - with interest - about these new "Olympic" boats and I am hoping that it, in fact, is accurate. It would be nice to know that there are some legacy benifits from hosting these hugely expensive "amateur" games. HOWEVER...anyone who has had any dealings with TC will immediately recognize that they are seriously underfunded and understaffed to do the job for which they have been
tasked. Or perhaps, as in significant government involved cases, simply a bloated beurocracy which has emphasized the wrong aspects of their mandate and have wasted valuable public resources. Your call.

My concern is that, while these new boats may in well be available, who are they going to have operate them? It seems to me that I have not seen many TC personnel out on the water in the last 10 years. Many have retired or have been re-located into management (read "desk pilot"). It is good to have the boats but they need to be operated and not on a short blitz to 'Clean up the Coast!' There has to be a enhanced enforcement (some would say there is none now) as well as funds dedicated to ensure this is ongoing and effective.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

Please, make no mistake on this: I am all for responsibility on the water and ensuring that, through minimim standards, both owner/operators AND clients are safe while sportsfishing in BC. This means I have all my coursework complete as well as finishing my Blue Decal (stability testing for NEWLY constructed boats are quite involved).

I have read - with interest - about these new "Olympic" boats and I am hoping that it, in fact, is accurate. It would be nice to know that there are some legacy benifits from hosting these hugely expensive "amateur" games. HOWEVER...anyone who has had any dealings with TC will immediately recognize that they are seriously underfunded and understaffed to do the job for which they have been
tasked. Or perhaps, as in significant government involved cases, simply a bloated beurocracy which has emphasized the wrong aspects of their mandate and have wasted valuable public resources. Your call.

My concern is that, while these new boats may in well be available, who are they going to have operate them? It seems to me that I have not seen many TC personnel out on the water in the last 10 years. Many have retired or have been re-located into management (read "desk pilot"). It is good to have the boats but they need to be operated and not on a short blitz to 'Clean up the Coast!' There has to be a enhanced enforcement (some would say there is none now) as well as funds dedicated to ensure this is ongoing and effective.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org
its my understanding that most if not all DFO enforcement and RCMP Marine who WILL be on these newly purchased boats are up to date and FULLY up to speed on the TC Small Commercial Vessels Inspection Program, so if some TC personal have moved on there are more than enough qualified folks out there who will be doing the "at the marina" and the "on the water checks"....

Agreed, there is no shortage of RCMP Officers who are more than happy to volunteer for 3 month rotation of boat duty. They were training the guys all last summer. If you lived or worked on the water on Vancouver Island you would have been blind not to have run into them. They traveled in packs of 3 to 6 boats, trucks and trailers all summer. I heard they also told the local RCMP detachments who have boats they will use em or lose em....guys being guys will do the predictable thing I suspect...we don't want to lose our toys!!:D:D

Its about time we saw some serious enforcement, so the fly by nighters get with the program. All it will take is one or two guys getting nailed and the jungle grape vine will be drumming and folks will be clamoring to get their boats compliant and their training in place. In the end, it will be a win/win for the industry and clients alike.

Agree totally that TC is underfunded/staffed - that will change I hope. The program isn't that difficult, but does require an investment of cash to get your boat compliant and time to get training. As I have stated previously the TC guys have been extremely helpful to me with any questions - so there is no reason to not want to comply. I get it that someone may misinterpret the requirements, and I think they aren't going to hammer an honest mistake - rather they will be looking that you are doing your utmost to comply.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back