Blackened cajun halibut...

Deewar25

Found this one a while back - addictive - great for salmon too prepped same way...I ignore the measurements and just mix them in together:

Oregano
Thyme
Fennel Seed
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper (more or less depending how hot you like it)
black pepper

baste fillets with olive oil - cover one side with spice mix...frying pan on high - olive oil, let it get nice and hot. Sizzle spice side down only for 1 minute, then throw into pre-heated oven (bout 375) spice side up - cook thin fillets for 5 minutes, up to about 8 minutes for thicker fillets - very finicky here so keep an eye on it. Remove and melt bit of butter on top - serve (over rice of course!)

Very addictive!

Hey Deewar,

Great recipe!!! Tried it this evening -- got the thumbs up from the entire family. Minor modification -- added some kosher salt to the mix as well.

glad you enjoyed...definitely addictive - I don't even bother with any other way anymore - maybe doesn't work for younger kids unless you subtract the fennel and the cayenne (my 7 year old is too much of a wuss even) - my 9 year old loves it thou.

yes, I put equal - well, just throw all together approx equal...
here are the actual recipe specs (for 3lbs fillet) it has salt as well.

1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Vary it based on audience obviously. Fennel seeds are almost like black licorice and very distinct. Of course cayenne is the degree of hot. Work it accordingly.

1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt

Vary it based on audience obviously. Fennel seeds are almost like black licorice and very distinct. Of course cayenne is the degree of hot. Work it accordingly.

I am cajun and down home, we call this "dry rub" and it is fairly accurate except we also add in dried pepper seeds, crushed. For the young'ens we also will coat lightly with a brush of honey.

1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt

Fish tacos last night and used this with salmon. HOT DAMN it was good. Thanks for sharing.

Back