spicy smoked almonds

Tsquared

I brought some smoked almonds to the South Island xmas pub night at the 6 Mile yesterday that I had just pulled out of the Bradley and the oven and was asked to post the recipe--so here it is.

For every pound of skin on, raw whole almonds mix together:
2 T oil
1/4 tsp cayenne
garlic (you can use powder but I prefer fresh crushed--2 or 3 good size cloves for a 4 lb batch)
1 T kosher or sea salt
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper (I grind it with the coarse salt in my spice grinder--the finer the better.)

Method: Smoke the almonds (without the spices mixed in)for 2 hours. I use hickory but you can use any wood you prefer. On 8 Bradley racks covered with the frog mats (finer mesh so the almonds don't fall through) I can do about 4 lbs of almonds at a time. While the nuts are smoking, mix up the spices to let the garlic permeate the oil for a couple of hours. When the smoking is done, add the nuts to the spice mixture and stir--coating the nuts thoroughly. Spread the nuts in a single layer on cookie sheets and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. During the last 6 or 7 minutes keep testing them by biting 1 or 2. If they are turning a light tan-brown in the middle instead of the raw white colour--they are done.
Enjoy! but be warned--these nuts lead to an increased consumption of cold beer!

Normally Im not a hickory fan as it so strong but it went really well, not to over powering at all. I just bought a giant costo bag of almonds going to throw some in right now! Great xmas gifts!

My mom does a spiced but mix and hers has a touch of soy sauce and a pinch of coriander and cumin. If you like those flavors they work well also if you want to mix it up next time.

Ive just discovered parchment paper to use in ovens and smoker this year would work great for anyone without frog mats like me!

Thanks TSquared

Tell you guys a great secret..... Bradley website says to soak nuts in cold water over night. I soak them for a couple hours in warm almost hot water instead. The skins soften up and the smoke sticks to them more. I have even soaked in warm seasoned and or salted water. I line my racks with cheese cloth works really good.

If smoked almonds is all your after that's all you have to do.

To get them really snappy toss the in the oven after cooking diner and close the door of the oven till morning. This really makes them snap.

Looks really tasty. How much heat, if any, do you use in the smoker?
I don't put heat on them when smoking--the cooking comes in the oven after. I'll have to try that trick of soaking them next time and see how that works.
T2

Back