Bimini replacement?

Looking for someone to replace the canvas on my boat top this winter. It's a simple one piece top for my 15 foot Arima. I've been quoted what I think is an unreasonable price and looking for alternatives in the Comox Valley or Campbell River area. Would even take to Nanaimo for the right business. Any suggestions? Cheers.

If you haven't already this could save you some money and some leg work; Call the three largest used-boat dealers in your local areas (CR, Comox, Nanaimo, Port Alberni?) and find out who they use to repair the canvas on the boats they are consigning or readying for sale.

They will have the most real world experience on the teams in your local area that have the best value proposition for cost and quality and availability.

What you will find with the marine canvas and upholstery business in the lower mainland (and I presume elsewhere), is that there is an undersupply of workers and an abundance of work.

These guys are so busy right now that they really don't need any more jobs. When they don't need another job, they throw a stupid high number at the work. They don't care if they don't get it, but if they get it for the ridiculous number they quoted you then what the hell might as well take the work. (Think of some of the crazy construction quotes you've had in the past - same situation when you get a crazy number... the can't really do the work but if you bite on their crazy number they'll work the weekend or push another job off).

This has gone on for a while now, and when you need a top or upholstery, you need it. The ridiculous numbers have become the norm because people just hold their breath and say 'ok fine just do ti ugh.....'

Suggestion: Find a shop that isn't busy or hasn't been busy for too long. Find a way to bring them the pieces or the boat to make their lives easy where they can fit the job in during some downtime. Build a relationship with a yard that has lots of subcontractors on site (fibreglass team, canvas team, detail shop, etc all working in conjunction with the main mechanical and haul out service. Any of these will help your overall cost long term, both financial cost, and mental cost (pain and suffering).

Good point! When I was looking for someone to do my top, (Oct of 2017) everyone I spoke to was really busy. One person would pretty much guarantee that the job would be done before June. That was the best of the bunch until I heard about the new guy here.

Oh 100%. I wasn't disagreeing at all just adding to the convo. Maybe I shouldn't have replied to your comment, I see how that caused the confusion.

Hey Raincity. Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit puzzled by your post.
Cheers. Dan

I used Tracy's Boat Tops for a replacement panel. She's on 1st near Gilmore. Very reasonably priced.

I got mine done though Hourston in north van in 2016, Can't remember the company they used but they did a great job i'll try to remember the name. This should give you an idea of pricing tho

Just remembered Haruna sales and service clark drive vancouver

https://www.harunasales.com/canvas.htm

upload_2019-1-20_19-23-19.png

Last edited:
Back