Bill C-38, amendments to Fisheries Act threaten BC communities

Wow, this bill is going to have far reaching affects across the country. Also, it contains a provision to add the term, "subsistence" to aboriginal fishery rights. I think that means FN would have the right to harvest seafood for, "food, religious, ceremonial, and subsistence purposes".

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...eries+threaten+communities/6620299/story.html

Will have to see what the long-term effects will be....

Wow, this bill is going to have far reaching affects across the country. Also, it contains a provision to add the term, "subsistence" to aboriginal fishery rights. I think that means FN would have the right to harvest seafood for, "food, religious, ceremonial, and subsistence purposes".

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...eries+threaten+communities/6620299/story.html

Will have to see what the long-term effects will be....

They already have all that allready. It's the for money gain thing that reared it's ugly head last year that is bs. They are legally allowed to sell sockeye on the side of the road in Port Alberni so they can go get a 6 pack of Lucky and a Big Mack from McDonald's. If I am out of line or further from the truth please let me know.

No, I believe this amendment to native fishing rights has harder hitting implications such as this quote by John Cummings

Cummins expressed concerns about the weakening of fisheries habitat provisions and warned that commercial and sports fishing communities across Canada could be squeezed out by First Nations fisheries due to new wording in Bill C-38.

The recent supreme Court of Canada decision to up-hold BC supreme courts decision gives FN the right to subsistence fishing which is in fact commercial fishing rights that they themselves decide how much to harvest....not DFO.

There was a buy-back program that purchased commercial fishing rights and transferred the rights to natives. My understanding of this "subsistence fishing" means FN no longer needs to hold commercial fishing licenses to harvest and sell...I could be wrong.

The local Vancouver Island FN could infact harvest all allowable salmon after conservation of the stocks, before Fraser River FN have a chance at them. Here I maybe wrong again, but with all Supreme Court of Canada decisions it will take time to play out before we(British Columbians/Canadians) understand the consequences of this latest amendment to the fishery act.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recent supreme Court of Canada decision to up-hold BC supreme courts decision gives FN the right to subsistence fishing which is in fact commercial fishing rights that they themselves decide how much to harvest....not DFO.

that is even worse than what we have to deal with where 50% of everything goes to the tribes. they meet with WDFW as 'co-managers' of these resources but judge boldt said the tribes can do their own counting. just try and find the harvest numbers anywhere! in the round dockside or anywhere else, never on the catch ticket, never turned in, never counted. da judge screwed this part up big time.

Yes, many years ago we met one US troller that told us this would be his last year commercially fishing due to the courts decision to give natives 50% of the resources. This US decision foreshadowed our own supreme court of Canada decision to establish Native fishing rights via the Sparrow Court ruling. As my Dad said back in the 80's the writing is on the wall.

Much has changed and more changes are coming.

I just want to know what is left after all BC Bands get their share?

Back