Judge orders pre-sentence report in fisheries case involving a FN

It seems pretty straight forward, but as it is a FN individual and given Harper plans to include "subsistence" for aboriginals in Bill C-38...who knows whether he will really charged or rather convicted.

"A resident of Port McNeill on Vancouver Island, Wadhams was found guilty last July of illegally selling halibut that had been caught under an aboriginal communal license for food, social, ceremonial purposes to the owners of two fish and chip shops in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows".

here's a link to the story

http://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/151628215.html

Oh yah, the judge will probably let the ***** off....

(edited for language, L.C.)

Last edited by a moderator:
from bushwackin link

http://www.vancouversun.com/court+review+native+fishing+rights+case/6379199/story.html

this quote from the FN's lawyer
"Rich said, ideally, the government would change the regulatory scheme to allow First Nations to fish from their community to their chosen capacity."

its their chosen capacity that concerns me the most...the unknown amount that the bands are legally allowed to sell. So how much halibut, salmon, herring, sea urchins, ect?

Edit: it is more of a question of what is left for the rest of recreational/commercial users?

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty much what we face down this way all year long. commercial fishing is commercial fishing no matter who is doing it. a one size fits all set of rules should be the norm when it comes to commercial fishing. monitoring quotas, selling of catch and so on should be done in exactly the same way for all individuals involved. the tribes down this way like to flaunt their 'rights' while at the same time raping the resources. i am beginning to think they are becoming more bold in all of this as a sort of 'pay back' for being screwed a centruy ago. of course as they rape the resources, they also cut off their own noses but i don't really think they care.

Back