Best way to protect large fiberglass boats ?

zurk

Moving from aluminum to glass for the next boat. whats the best way to store it when not in use ? im going to be dumping it on land when not in use in Mediterranean climate (99% sunny).
for my aluminum i drop a large canvas tarp on it which works well.
whats the same equivalent for fiberglass ? do i pour a boatload of marine wax on it before storage to preserve the gelcoat ? or some other method ? dropping a tarp on it is impractical as the deck area is 40 feet by 22 feet. also shrink wrap is not offered in the location i need to park at.

Last edited:
Moving from aluminum to glass for the next boat. whats the best way to store it when not in use ? im going to be dumping it on land when not in use in Mediterranean climate (99% sunny).
whats the same equivalent for fiberglass ? do i pour a boatload of marine wax on it before storage to preserve the gelcoat ? or some other method ? dropping a tarp on it is impractical as the deck area is 40 feet by 22 feet. also shrink wrap is not offered in the location i need to park at.

sounds big enough to lease it out, keep it in service.

Sun and U.V. beats up fiberglass. I would look for some shelter or rig a sunshade over it. 3 lengths of 2" aluminum scaffold tubing with strong tie downs, attached to a tailored canvas could do it. Wax is short-lived, regardless of the claims.

sounds big enough to lease it out, keep it in service.
too much wear and tear + i dont like other people using my boats + the 8 screens and automated boat power control stuff will confuse everyone and require a 2 week course on how to start the boat up since it has no physical switches or keys anywhere. plus its regarded as a performance boat so noob sailors will likely kill themselves even if they get it started.

too much wear and tear + i dont like other people using my boats + the 8 screens and automated boat power control stuff will confuse everyone and require a 2 week course on how to start the boat up since it has no physical switches or keys anywhere. plus its regarded as a performance boat so noob sailors will likely kill themselves even if they get it started.
Just say no...

It’s hard to beat Sunbrella to slow down oxidation of fiberglass under a hot sun.

The downside: it’s expensive

It’s hard to beat Sunbrella to slow down oxidation of fiberglass under a hot sun.

The downside: it’s expensive
♤♤♤ My Sunbrella Bimini is 20 years old. After I scrub off the seagull poop it looks near-new!

hmm...so evidently there is something called a boom winter cover which is sunbrella and covers the whole boat.
so looking at that. looks like i need 294 yards at $3/yard or something. which is ok.

hmm...so evidently there is something called a boom winter cover which is sunbrella and covers the whole boat.
so looking at that. looks like i need 294 yards at $3/yard or something. which is ok.
Sunbrella is way more then $3/yd, try $30/yd. must be made of something else or some cheaper sunbrella product.

Back