Best TrailerSurge Brake Assembly

Red Monster

I'm looking to replace my trailer's surge brake assemblies. Any thoughts about who makes the best brake assemblies (as in backing plates and brakes)? I'm looking for the common, marine 10" x 2.25" free backing brakes. Titan? Tie Down?

ask highliner trailers -- they use the best for everything and i always buy them - very reasonable owner as well. local corp out of delta.

I did a lot of research on this last year. Kodiak disc brakes: coated rotors and stainless calipers, seemed to be the most respected choice for saltwater use.

PS... Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough to note the OP specified drum brakes.

Red,
would it not be worth while if your replacing the assy's to convert to disc? also how heavy is the boat?
Tim

The trailer is rated up to 6500 pounds and it's dual axle. I can simply swap out the old brake assemblies for about 200 to 400 depending on which ones I decide to use. I could order Tie Down assemblies from states for $200. Converting to disc would get pricier. I'd like to use the best assemblies ...if I knew which one that is. I could buy some sort of generic Chinese assemblies from nearby trailer shop for $85 each.

Go talk to Mike Malo at Roadrunner Trailers. He is the owner. Great guy and he will give you a fair price. They are on Mitchell Island.

The trailer is rated up to 6500 pounds and it's dual axle. I can simply swap out the old brake assemblies for about 200 to 400 depending on which ones I decide to use. I could order Tie Down assemblies from states for $200. Converting to disc would get pricier. I'd like to use the best assemblies ...if I knew which one that is. I could buy some sort of generic Chinese assemblies from nearby trailer shop for $85 each.

Well if you want to convert to disc, I have a complete extended coupler assy with new reverse override switch and the master cylinder
for 2-5/16 ball that I just removed from mine as I had to go to electirc over Hydraulic, nothing wrong with it.
I would be willing to donate that to your conversion cause;)
also give call kevin at pacific spring in Langley for prices on the disc assy's
he was really reasonable for all the parts I needed and had everything in stock
pm me if you decide to go that route and I'll give you my number
Tim

Thanks for the kind offer but I don't think I'm up for that much effort right now. I'm sure I'll switch to disc one day. ;)

Have a look at this thread, lots of pertinent information, including the cutoff weight for when you have to have brakes with an operator controlled method of application, ie no surge brakeshttp://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?25965-Trailer-Brakes

Back