Best time for monster sturgeon?

Thinking of heading up to the fraser to try my hand at a big prehistoric *******! Any time of the year or outfits anyone recommends?

Lorne

x2 on october ,but i don't belive chum roe is paramount. We go every year in oct and just use stinkbait and do great and lots of big fish as well. We use Curtis Bessy and Mark Unger.

I went for 3 trips last year April 1-3, April 25-28 and Nov 8-10 the best trip was April 1-3 biggest was 7 foot The year before the late fall trip was the best but last year 30 million Sockeye in the river made fishing a little different!!!

Last week.......!!!

Fish is good early spring (if you know what you are doing or hire a guide!)..... did the first trip of the year on the
6th...... Took me two drops to find them, then I sat back and watched my 16 year old son and a good buddy of mine play......

We ended the day with 16 to the boat, biggest was 8'8".... 46" girth...... first time in a long time we had to drop anchor on 4 (IIRC) fish!! Several double headers, lots of missed fish, lost 4 big ones and had a 7'7" (first fish) do a nice little tail walk (usually unheard of in the cold water)......

I love the spring fishery but the weather usually sucks.... we hit ti lucky on the first day with no wind and sun..... they you look at yesterday......!!

Fall is a good time to get out, more guarantees on big fish and you can combo up your day with pinks/chum/sockeye/springs for a few hours in the morning and dino in the afternoon!

If you have never done it, it definately is something to try...... the only thing is don't plan on doing anything physical the next day if you get into a bunch of fish......

Mike

x2 on october ,but i don't belive chum roe is paramount. We go every year in oct and just use stinkbait and do great and lots of big fish as well. We use Curtis Bessy and Mark Unger.

Fresh chum roe can out do stink most of the time...... but I do love the stink (especially if I am taking someone out who partied too much the night before....!)

Agree with Bannanas.. I went out a couple years ago, the stinkbait was the ticket..

It all comes down to timing......

Fish what is in the river when you are there...... right now there is eel, along with the remains of the oolie run (anytime from end of March to end of April... we fish oolie/eel until summer)

Summer time, up higher on the river, use pike minnow, roe etc....

Late summer and early fall use stink

Late fall use stink, dog roe, oolies and this years special, pink heads!

Dew worms will work good all year too, better in higher water I find!

Mike

Back