Best Siwash Hook for Sockeye Hoochies

Birdman

In anticipation of the big Alberni Sockeye run this summer I've decided to try rigging some sockeye squirts using a single siwash. I usually run double 3/0 gammy's, but want to see if the big single loses less fish. When I rig my normal Chinook/Coho hoochies with a siwash I like an eagle claw 211SS5P - a light stainless steel siwash hook with a curved point - it gets very sharp and is pretty light thus giving the hoochie great action. BUT I haven't been able to find these in a smaller size...

So: what do people recommend - both in size and model.

I've considered trying the black mustad siwash hook's that many are putting on spoons as replacement hooks... any thoughts on going that route?

I'd like to keep the hook as light as possible to maximize the hoochie action.

Thanx!

For action shorten the leader and use higher test line. If your loosing too many fish, speed up your troll. I also put the mooching rods away and use stiffer 9' DR rods.

Hi guys! I fish the canal for socks and do quite well. My theory is almost the opposite for catching them. I go slowwww.. maybe 1mph. Just enough to make the flashers sway back and forth, not roll. They are plankton feeders. Plankton is moved with the current. Large short shaft single black siwash, 3-4/0, swivel, black/red mini hootchie. Soft mouths require gentle action rods and patience on the reel. Have found the large hooks hold better then small. Dummy flashers. First 2 hours of morning light..

My 2 cents worth anyway..IMG_0241.jpg

Back