Best places to live on the coast for an angler

bmckenney

I'm curious where on the coast or close to it that would be a good place to live for someone who likes fishing a lot and that offers great year round fishing in the salt but also rivers (salmon runs, steelhead, trout). Would need to be near civilization too. Nothing remote. Need access to amenities, services etc.

Comox valley x2

Sent from my iPhone

Surprised that the fishing is that good around there with all the population and development. And angling pressure. And crowds. Are there good rivers around with with healthy returns of salmon and especially steelhead? I imagine the rivers are quite accessible, which is great.

In other remote areas with less access, I fantasized you'd have to fly in to access rivers, which would be rather expensive on a regular basis. Or have an ocean boat and tow around some sort of jet boat to go up rivers. Neither of which I can afford on a pension.

I was expecting answers like Rupert/Kitimat/Terrace to be honest. Or Port Alberni.

Comox Valley is 3 hours to Victoria; 3 hours to Pt McNeill; 3 hours to Tofino; an hour and a half to Pt Alberni. Also a pretty agreeable climate.
Rupert/Kitimat/Terrace whole different area both in terms of isolation and climate.

I would have to say Comox as well. Many choices for fishing, Powell River area, Campbell River and all along the inland coast of the island. Never much snow if any and if you are tired of fishing, then go golfing that day.

X4 or 5 on the comox valley-if fishing is no good trail to alberni (2hrs) nootka(2 hrs) winter harbour(cole harbour 4hrs)-everywhere is relatively accessible.

Yikes, Prince Rupert in a New York heartbeat!

Where else on this planet can you get 50's and 60's in the salt chuck, 50's and 60's in the main stem Skeena, and 20's and 30's if you want to go chase steel a month or so later?

Near civilization? With container terminals and LPG gas terminals and everything in between, you'll have more civilization up there then you might want to see in the next decade

I was set on retiring in the comox valley but after spending more time there and checking things out more thoroughly it would definitely be down my list a few notches from a fishing perspective. the main reason is you cannot get moorage there, huge wait lists. I like to golf and ski a bit too so the area is definitely attractive.I think nanaimo to qualicum is a great area with lots of marinas and launches, sooke looks really interesting and we are taking a good hard look around there and also port alberni, sproat lake are very high on my list. i wouldnt go farther north than the comox valley personally. also rethinking the sunshine coast as the fishing has come back nicely the past couple of years. no real rush as prices seem to keep rising here in hongcouver

Somewhere on the East Coast between Parksville and Southern Campbell River. I would not live in Port Alberni for the Stamp Somass system and you also still have to travel to get to prime salmon fishing.

Just make sure to pack your boat raingear, your uptown raingear and your lounging around raingear
Yikes, Prince Rupert in a New York heartbeat!

Where else on this planet can you get 50's and 60's in the salt chuck, 50's and 60's in the main stem Skeena, and 20's and 30's if you want to go chase steel a month or so later?

Near civilization? With container terminals and LPG gas terminals and everything in between, you'll have more civilization up there then you might want to see in the next decade

And there is a high rate of children whose parents are also cousins.....3 minutes away. :D :p Haha.

Good point on the distances.....never really thought of the proximity to everywhere.

Typical Vancouver Mentality........nothing but bob loblaw.

Nanaimo. All the shopping your wife could want, average fishing out front, plentiful moorage. As far as rivers go, you can hit the Cowichan, Stamp, Nitnat with a day trip. The saltwater fishing in town is ok, especially in spring and late fall and theres lots of feature to cover for bottom fish. In summer you can be in ukee in 2.5 hours and do whatever you want out on the banks.

We don't like newcomers in Nanaimo just google itunless you want to join the Mayors taskforce

Back