best mooching rod?

Had some success with the tecniums and the fenwick but really love my old Richmake, I know they don't make em anymore but what a sweet rod, little soft for the big smeys but a ton of fun.

Techniums are my go to, backups are my talora's and if all goes to hell like really goes to hell I'm onto daiwa cheapies. But Techniums and Talora's been really happy with them. I'd buy a lami or fancy name brand but I'm really clumsy and will likely step on it or bang it up fast.

The warranty on the techniums isn't as good as it used to be.... But they are still one of the best options out there.
Medium action all the way.

Nobody has mentioned the Daiwa DXS moocher. I had one at the beginning of the year and now have a second.. Can't really beat 120$ Just liked the look to begin with, now I've played numerous sockeye and love it. Waiting to get a ripper of a spring and see what it's made of. So far so good!

Hate to say it but for $25 each I buy 3 new 9' and 9'6" shimano tdr's each year. I can abuse the **** outta them and often get more than 2 years use out of them, leaving me with lots of spares. They have a nice heavy action and in a small boat like mine u can use them to get big fish right where u want them. Call me low brow or unsophisticated? Maybe but I hate when some people are soooo anal about their prescious rods

x2 Halibut-face on the Shimano TDR's. I have 4 or 5 of them and they can take a beating. I used a 8 1/2' TDR med weight all summer while doing some sturgeon research. It was unreal, even on a 385# fish and the best is that I still use that rod today fishing for Gerrard Rainbows. They just keep on going. One thing I would like to know is where the $%#@& you find them for $25? I have a 11' Fenwick Legacy that I bought a few years ago, but have not used it yet. I am taking it out with me this fall to try it out.

Just putting it out there , river creek rod I bought at pnt parksville was one of the best rods I've ever handled . The rod had all the meat to handle the big ones but also made the cohos ( minus the flasher) a real fun fight. The quality of the rod plus warranty makes this rod worth the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's using "conventional rods" with his mooching reels. I have a couple Shimano Convergence rods with lifetime warranties on them and I love them. But since Shimano stopped giving lifetime warranties for their convergence rods I'm now looking at TDR rods as back ups. I thought it was a little odd putting mooching reels on those but I'm glad I wasn't thinking too far outside the box.

Yup, I have 6 of the Classic Moochers in both the medium and light. Love them. They stand up and have great action. I have 2 techniums and frankly the Classic Moocher is a way better rod in every respect.

It looks like they now have a med/light and a heavy for weight. Any thoughts if the light is enough rod for most of the time?

Back