Best fishing on Vancouver Island?

hambone

I'm on days off and plan on boat camping somewhere on Vancouver island. Nootka was my original plan but im starting to think twice.

So, I know fish move and reports are only good for a short period of time, but where would you guys go if you had your choice of anywhere on the island, starting next week.

Springs being the main target.

That is a tough one this year. I would go to where I know the waters best as it seems you have to be able to grind it out to get fish almost everywhere. You can't grind it out in a new area until you really know it.

How big is your boat and are you going solo? Need a bit more info. Nootka is great in shore water. Just came home from a week long trip. It's a grind but there are fish to be had. We managed our limit biggest 29 and only 3 of 8 were under 20#. Just like everywhere right now you need to put in the extra time. Boat we were with did really well for halibut as well. Get out and enjoy your time off!

19' Arima sea ranger. It's capable offshore within reason. We've done Nootka many times before and will likely be there in a few days.

Usually there's one area each summer that is day in day out consistent, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. Seems like the entire coast is experiencing a challenging season.

My rig is highly mobile and I go where the salmon are, but I must say, this summer has been unusual.
Spots have held fish sporadically, but nowhere on the island - inshore or offshore - has yet to produce consistently.
Go somewhere you are comfortable, preferably a location that will allow offshore runs as long as the winds co-operate, and do your fish dance ;-)

There is no crowds at Oak bay, in fact you can have it all to your self !
but you probly won't catch a Spring either :(

Barkley Sound it is... Leaving before noon.

There is no crowds at Oak bay, in fact you can have it all to your self !
but you probly won't catch a Spring either :(

Good luck on the flats...

Barkley Sound it is. Excited to try a new part of the coast.

Reactions: RBL
Im in same boat just got back from a dismal week at nootka sound and not quite ready to call the season quits.. Thinking tofino or barklay sound for a few days .

Im in same boat just got back from a dismal week at nootka sound and not quite ready to call the season quits.. Thinking tofino or barklay sound for a few days .

If you're coming our way let me know and i'll put you on the fish

Barkley Sound it is... Leaving before noon.

I'll be up there this weekend. I'll shoot you a message if we get on a hot bite.

Good luck on the flats...

Barkley Sound it is. Excited to try a new part of the coast.

Back