Best Depth Sounder/GPS

RevyFisher

I've gone through a pile of threads on this subject and seems Lowrance is the best bet for price vs quality. Sure lots of information and then there's so many models within a brand its getting confusing. I found a Lowrance HDS SX 83/200 on sale right now for half price at $324. Would it be a good bet for a weekend warrior on big interior lakes and a week or two on the chuck?

Thanks for any advice/help.

That unit will be fine for what you do, but you need to know the price of the chart chip to know if the price is really a good deal compared to other stores. I have an Elite 5 that's about 4 years old. There have been several newer models, (HD, gen 1, Gen 2 etc... that I have lost track of since I bought mine). That price is likely on a model that may not be the latest in their 5 inch offering if that matters to you.

Lake info is limited and usually has poor resolution. Reservoirs are even worse. The mapping I've seen for Revelstoke reservoir is virtually non-existent, from before the valley was flooded. It still shows the old highway that is now mostly underwater.

just find a good elite 7 hdi & tranny 83-200-455-800 with a gold card

and that will be your best bang for buck

go to navionics and update the card to a + (done online)
and then you can upload to the chip what areas you fish

also the elite 7 is wider than a hds 8 (16:9 screen)

so still give you plenty even to chart and map also

the hdi on the sonar side giving you 83/200- with 455/800 overlay on top

i got mine used for $350 off craiglist so they come up but new your looking at $600ish
going new the gold card will update free for the first year and then you get sonar charts as well
to boot which gives you more data & options as the navionics card becomes there fish'n'chip

Lowrance are phasing out the HDS 5. My guess would be the screen is too small for running both sonar and GPS together, people were getting better value from the Elite series or a pair of separate units.

The raymarine dragon fly with a chip for 699 at stevston marine. The differents between the lowrance hds and the raymarine dragonfly is the hds is a networking unit that can run many different things where is the raymarine is a stand alone unit. If your not planning on adding a second screen, networking or radar look for a standalone unit for more bang for the buck

Alright I procrastinated back in April and missed some sales last week as one chain had a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2 for half price last week but sold out online and said to check stores but stores were sold out. Can't seem to find any deals this week but getting more desperate to buy one as my current one is dead. If anyone knows of any good sales going on please let me know as I'm ready to act asap. Thanks again.

I recently picked up the Raymarine a78 with chirp and radar... Super happy with that unit, fast loading and nice clear picture..
Ive been using it for a few weeks now and no issues yet. West marine had a big sale a while ago for 40% off so i jumped on that deal.
Pretty cool watching the archs following your gear up and down

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Raymarine Dragonfly. If you think yur deal was good, Read this:

Westmarine Regular Price: $799.99 plus tax&charts

Clearing Price, 30% off 559.93 plus tax&charts

Display model price, another 30% off, INCLUDING tax, transducer, and charts.

Total price 399.99

I also found the same deal for raymarine dragonfly, had to go to a few sweat marine stores, I don't know if it is still available for that price, but I'm very happy with the unit. Also updated the charts to sonar charts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'll try the west marine website and call the stores and see if there's still any deals like that on the Dragonfly. Sounds like a great deal.

No one has mentioned the Hummingbird Helix 5 series. I think its a new series and price point seems to be much more reasonable IF i can't find a dragonfly on sale. I'm finding the Helix 5 Sonar/GPS Nav + chip for under $500 but it says with built in unimap with cartography with sd slot for optional charts. So does it come with basic charts and i'm assuming this in not navionics but would it be suitable?

Was that for the Dragonfly 4? That's what i'm getting quoted from Westmarine for that price. Actually i had to give them the product # from the website as they said Raymarine only sells the 7 now but they found the 4 when i gave them the # and got quoted $399. Think i'll go with this deal. Just want to make sure the 4 is the one everyone is referring too.

Total price 399.99

Was that for the Dragonfly 4? That's what i'm getting quoted from Westmarine for that price. Actually i had to give them the product # from the website as they said Raymarine only sells the 7 now but they found the 4 when i gave them the # and got quoted $399. Think i'll go with this deal. Just want to make sure the 4 is the one everyone is referring too.

Total price 399.99

Back