Berkley power worms/ jensen eggs

Tips Up

For Steelhead...

Legal or not legal?
I use Berkley power baits for other types of fish with success.
Is a power worm or jensen egg illegal because it is "scented"?

Thanks,
Tips

I think it depends on how the scent is produced. If it is a synthetic scent it is legal, if it is made from natural sources then it is not.

Or at least I think I remember reading something along those lines, when there was the jensen egg debate, which are legal.

I heard some COs will give you a ticket and some wont so it seems up in the air. I think the definition of bait is technically anything that produces scent.

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

For Steelhead...

Legal or not legal?
I use Berkley power baits for other types of fish with success.
Is a power worm or jensen egg illegal because it is "scented"?

Thanks,
Tips

I have an e-mail from a CO explicitly stating he has never ticketed anybody for using Jensen eggs in a stream.

I have heard also that it is open to interpretation of the individual CO. That's why I sent an e-mail direct to the CO to get it right from the horses mouth.

Back when I did a lot of steelheading, (and on the odd occasion now when I get out) I have almost always used Jensen eggs. Before I received the e-mail and had been checked by the fellow who wrote me the note, he had never raised it as an issue when checking my gear but I just wanted to be sure for future reference so I wrote to him.

And I will also state, he is more pleasant to deal with in e-mail than in person out in the woods when he has his game face on. :D

Post the email in a printable format! so we can all print a copy and keep it in our gear bag for when the CO who wants to ticket us tries, we can pull out the OFFICIAL "FREE PASS EMAIL" lol

Just trying to be funny!

-Steve

well has anybody ever gotten a ticket or any sort of trouble for use of jensen eggs? I haven't heard of a case.

I thought it was aneise oil (smells like black licorice) used in jenson eggs? If it is the main purpose of that oil is to repel human scent not attract fish.

I was told last week when i was checked that it is illegal to use any scented gear,and that includes aneise oil the CO even smelled everybodys gear including the blade i was fishing with.

I would like to know where you were fishing as well. I've never had trouble from CO's when fishing for steelhead and using jensen eggs, gooey bobs or any item soaked in anise oil.

Just curious is all. Like was said earlier, I've heard rumours of CO's ticketing for it but never a confirmed case of it by anyone I know.

Falls pool they said if i wanted to use jensen eggs i had to go below the bucket

Steely Worms - Only Delta worms are un-scented, all the rest are
scented not with anise, including Berkly Worm's and Exude.

quote:Originally posted by Hooklinesinker

Falls pool they said if i wanted to use jensen eggs i had to go below the bucket

This would appear to be a change of local policy if true. Both myself and several of the other Locals who live here have been told directly in the past that Jensens were allowable upstream from the Bucket. If they have changed their mind on this, it would be good to get the word out, as pretty well most of the Ladz do use them...

Think I'll make a call tomorrow and check on this one. Letcha know what I find out...

Cheers,
Nog

If the anise oil is just to get rid of human sent, should I be putting my rubber worms in it before I fish em?

The lasttime i ran into a CO on the river i happened to be using jensen eggs above the bucket, he had no issue at all with it, didnt even mention anything about it. As far as im concerned, jennys are 100% legal, however, the use of berkley power worms and other power bait products is a bit of a grey area because they use foodstuff scents like shrimp/roe/etc. wheras the anise oil on jensen eggs is meant to deter human scent like luna said. Basically i wouldnt worry about getting hassled about jensen eggs but those stinky power worms might be a different story...

all i use are jensen eggs, i was checked by a warden last year and he never said anything about them

Back