Berkley Big Game vs Maxima Ultragreen Opinions

Fish Nutz

Hello All

I am about to re-spool my reels for the year and kinda want to try something hi vis for those amazing moments when you have 2 big springs running different directions trying to cross up your lines. I usually run Maxima Ultragreen and have never had an issue but the only hi vis line I can find in Campbell river is Berkley Big Game Solar Collector. At half the price of Maxima it makes me wonder why this is. I don't want to sacrifice quality but if there isn't much difference i'd like to give the new line a try. Also has anyone seen a difference in their catch rates with a line that would be more visible in the water? I fish mainly at depths 75ft and up.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maxima makes a high vis line. I like to run regular green on one side of the boat and hi vis on the other. That way during a double you can see each line better if you do happen to get crossed up.

I have Suffix with a 30lb Maxima top shot and love it. But before doing something like this get some quotes. I have heard of guys paying from $30-60 a reel to have this upgrade done.

I use Maxima UltraGreen all the time for leaders.

I was using it for mainline too.

I've used Berkely Big Game before for main. And right now I am using it for main.

I think it has a bit more abrasion resistance than Maxima....

Either way it doesn't seem to take too long before the first 100 feet on the reels get faded and chafed up a bit.

Maxima may have a bit more stretch than Big Game. And also the Big game is slightly larger in diameter.

I don't think the fish care what color the main is..........but personally I like a leader that's uncolored.

UltraGreen is supposed to be invisible underwater...and maybe that's why it costs more than Big Game (which doesn't make that claim)......so you're paying for the German technology maybe.

I like Ultragreen....but I have no qualms about using Berkely Big game for main either in salt water....

Way back in the day I even used "Charterboat" line for main......and it caught fish.....although it wasn't long before I upgraded from that.

One thing for sure is maxima UG is stronger than Big Game in the same line rating...

I hope this turns into another mono vs floro thread :cool:

I just picked up 4 spools of big game solar collector (595 yards of 25lb) on sale at Wholesale sports for $8.99.
I have been running 30lb maxima ultra green and have zero complaints but ran big game for years and have a fished with a buddies gear that used the 25lb solar collector and have zero complaints but really liked the visability.

Should also look pretty sweet paired up with my blue MR3's!!

I've used Berkley Big Game in "low vis green" for 20+ years now with absolutely no issues whatsoever as mainline,and
Ultra Green for leader material for nearly as long as well.I've never tried the "hi vis" Solar line,so I can't comment on it.
The way I figure it,if it ain't broke,don't fix it,but I can see why you might want to run at least one rod with hi vis in
case of cross ups.

Big Game Solar 30 for years, Max UG 40 for leader. Never had a prolem. Wife loves the Solar as it is easier for her to pick up the line and watch where the fish runs to.

Cannot go wrong with either line. Just strip off 30-40' at the beginning of each year.

Cheers

SS

Interesting thread.

I have been fishing a variety of manufacturers lines for over 35 years in both sport and commercial (professional and lodge) recreational fishing ( 15-40 pound) test I can say that I have landed fish with Maxima many times when the fish should have and would have broken off. I can say that I have fished with other lines and that hasn't happened nearly as often as it should have. With the onset and growing popularity of trolling on the coast the shift has been to heavier main lines and heavier leaders beyond necessary strengths for a variety of reasons. I have utilized commercial brand lines too in heavy heavy test on sport gear and obviously have no complaints.

Maxima costs considerably more. If you're not utilizing all the benefits of Maxima as a "weekend warrior", cheaper lines and crapola will get the job done.

However, if I'm fishing for a paying client, nothing but the best will do...there are no shortcuts, no compromise and no detail left to less than the best. Just my sentiments and experience.

One thing for sure is maxima UG is stronger than Big Game in the same line rating...

I hope this turns into another mono vs floro thread :cool:

Not trying to stir it up .........but

I have used almost all of them for over 30yrs and agree I think maxima is a great line but………I dont think its really any better than any of the other premium lines.
There have been many comprehensive line tests done, heres one http://www.gamefishin.com/threads/a-gf-exclusive-vhawks-ultimate-line-test.4350/
Seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors in the marketing division of lines as there is no set requirement for line diameter?
If they make it .001 thicker than the competition than everyone says its stronger, but as maxima claims in their ads "best by test" not diameter
IMO all the major brands make pretty good lines but none rate a premium price of double what the others are selling for.
Personally I run braid with 30yd topshots ( the last couple season have been sufix titanium) that I change out every season or as needed.

Ultra green has always been the line of choice for me, 30 lb mainline , going to give the new maxima hi vis line a go next.. as said before on here , line probably the cheapest of all your fishing tackle..why cheap out ...

My guide friends use the hi-vis stuff for main on accasion......actually none of them use Maxima Ultra-green for main....

They usually buy these gigantic rolls of stuff like Ande etc. etc.

Although I have used Berkely Big game with no breakage issues I will say one thing in defense of Maxima Ultragreen......

Using Maxima you'll get way less "clip pops"....like when you just lowered your gear down, and it doesn't get all the way down before the line pops out of the clip by itself and then you have to start all over again......

I like my clip setting as strong as it will go........but it will still pop out using Berkely.........

Maybe it's the shiny finish they put on the line.......I don't know..........

These are actually both my favourite lines to use.

The berkley big game has a a great diameter for it break strength, the colours i like a lot to. i use the lo-vis green for mains quiet often since they are cheap to replace each year. The leader (clear version) is my top choice for leader in the ocean since it acts like a shock cord, will stretch tons and not break and is thicker so it has a good nick resistance. The big game series has a good abrasion resistance similar to the maxima chameleon. The solar-collector green is a top choice for my bait-casters float fishing, it helps the quickly finding the float in high glare conditions. i also use the steel blue version for beach fishing since the thin/stifffer diameter is great on spinning reels.
The downside to the big game though well trolling is the thin diameter.. it's very prone to being nicked by small things on the boat and dose not have as much stretch as the maxima, this can be problematic with new anglers. It also has a tendency to have false trip or miss more fish since it comes off the clip easier (this can be fixed by setting your clips up right though but takes a little more setup)

Maxima ultra green is a good stand by line though. It will tend to last longer when spooled and its thicker diameter makes it easier to set into a clip and also makes it a little more user friendly. The extra you pay per yard can be worth it in the long run, but i have found that occasionally you get a bad batch of maxima. The pre-spools are the best way to buy this line.

all in all, if u want a good high-vis line and are willing to pay for it. try the berkley trans-optic. It is a UV reactive line, not a UV reflective line like the P-line, this means that when exposed to light it will change to a high vis orange but when about 10-20ft bellow the surface will remain clear. it is thick like the maxima and has more stretch then the maxima, so it it great for new anglers well not adding visibility to the fish. i have had great experiences with this line sight fishing baits and pitching large spoons.

goodluck in your choice

Anyone using Yo-Zuri Hybrid? Wonder how it compares to Berkley and Maxima.

I refer you to "initial Dry Break Strength of various brands" in Sport Fishing Magazine (www.sportfishingmag.com). Big Game Solar Collector 20#/breaks at 29.3. Did not find Maxima Ultra Green. If you want more strength than rated, try Momoi Hi Catch in Hi-vis yellow, 20# rated/breaks at 36#. The latter is a bit more expensive....

Does anyone else use Sufix of any kind? I was using it for leader in the rivers and landing 10-16 pound fish on 6 pound leader. Knots never let go it was great. Wondering about the heavier tests for salmon main and leaders.

-KK

Back