Bear spray

Bassblaster

A question for all of you that fish remote or semi-remote rivers. Does anyone know how long a can of Bear spray is good for? I have a can that I've owned for several years that I take both fishing and walking my dogs on the bush trails around CR but am starting to get concerned that if I actually did run into a bear that it may not work properly. Unlike fire extinguishers the can has no expiry date or other data on it regarding this. Should I be looking to get another can?

As far as I know the spray itself does not break down but the propellant does slowly leak away. I take it hiking with me and I seem to remember the expiry is about 3 years. Had a can about 10 years old and tried it out, sprayed first shot about 8 feet and then trailed off to dribbling. Probably the cheapest insurance you can buy if you think of it over say 4 years.
Most cans do have an expiry across the bottom.

I seem to recall that they SHOULD have an expiry date...I seem to think that was a requirement in Canada but I could be wrong. If there isn't one.....I recall from reading a study somewhere that Kisinana is bang on with the 3 yr expiry date.

One thing of note....my Dad had a technician of his at the DNR in Manitoba due basically just a comparison of various sprays on the market; just for internal purposes. Take a look at the % of Capsaisin in your spray.....most bear spray sold in the US should have 2% to maximize it's effectiveness. Don't quote me directly but at the time of this comparison I think there was a 1% legal limit of those sold in Canada....if you're in the US....pick some up down there as it's got more zing. I have 2 cans I purchased 2 years ago...and will pick up some new ones next time I am down.

At the time of the comparison.....I can tell you this much of the 6 or 7 they compared; Counter Assault (made by a company in Montana) through Wilderness Supply was the only one that had the 1% of Capsaisin.... had a pretty decent range of 4-9M and comes out as a tight spray rather than more of a "cloud".

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear spray is a max of three years, some will be two, depends on the make up of the materials inside.

I carry CA for both at work and personal and it is a three year exp, it is stamped on the side in small type.

I taught the bear aware and avoidance course for years and we would practice with the old one. It was interesting to see what happens when it gets old, it comes out in runny clumps with min actaul spray. If you do want to use your old one for practice, make sure you wear rubber gloves and protective equipment for your eyes and face as this crap does hurt if you get in on you.......

Cheers

SS

Make sure that when you spray you are upwind.

If you ARE downwind.....throw your bell at the bear to distract it and then do a "Matrix" movie type manoevure to get upwind; and keep the camera rollin'!!! :p ;) :D

I use up my old cans at Halloween when I run out of candies!
Just kidding?

Thanks guys. Looks like it's time to get a new one. I just checked over the can again and mine is .80%. Also, there is definitely no date stamp anywhere on the product. Any suggestions on where to get a can of the good stuff and how much it costs now?

I got mine at Robinson's in Victoria years ago. Check around, some, like Counter Assault, come with the holster for the same price as others. Mine also has an expiry date stamped on it.

Dave

If you have any stores that redll sports supplies, they have CA on right now for $35 plus 6 for the holster for the 290 gr size.

Also WSS will have it.

Good stuff

Cheers

SS

My favorite brand of bear-spray?

Ithica: Model 37-pump/12 ga. 1 oz. slug...

My favorite brand of bear-spray?

Ithica: Model 37-pump/12 ga. 1 oz. slug...

LOL, Ya, I have a Remington version with a Choate combat stock and 8 round Mag, but the locals don't like it when I pack it on the trails walking my dogs!:)

i never carry it, my thinking has always been that as soon as i do get some is when i will finally have a confrontation, but im seriously thinking about getting some now with all the recent cougar activity, whats with those cats this year, yikes....holmes*

Im with you holmes. Bears arent a big deal to me. Cats on the other hand scare the **** out of me!

Bear spray is not that effective, I wouldn't trust it. Like BCFish.org said an 870 is the way to go!!! :). I have been around alot of blacks and grizz and a guy I work with sprayed a grizz right in the face from about 3 feet away and the bear shook his head, sneezed and kept right on. It's HP sauce in a canister. :). Get yourself a shotgun or maybe some bear bangers, they at least scare the bear away for awhile.

Back