BC Government Deficit Now 3.1 Billion up from 2.7 Biiion

If people earn less and companies sales decrease due to the economy, then tax revenue decreases. The minister cannot control that. If people choose to go underground and not declare their income or consumers choose to evade sales tax, then government revenue decreases. The minister cannot control that either. You can. Blaming the government for a worldwide recession or tax cheats is not realistic. Is it always the business owners fault when a repeat customer decides not to place an order, causing the business to lose money?

Look worldwide for a province or country with stable revenue in the last 3 years. Even Alberta is considering the introduction of sales tax, now that oil prices are more volatile and less that their projections from a few year's back.

"Even Alberta is considering the introduction of sales tax" - Never happen, never, ever! Well, not in the foreseeable future, anyhow.

People start to evade taxes when they feel that they are overtaxed and the system no longer works in a fair and equitable manner. If you think you're being screwed by the government you want to screw back a little. Human nature.

With the implementation of the hst we have even less money in our pockets to spend.
That money came out of personal spending/budgets.

I dont know anyone that got a 7% raise last year to cover the extra $ to pay to the government...oh wait..mabye our politicians...LOL

If you're worried about your tax dollars and how the government is managing and spending your money, make sure you vote for the Liberal government again. Although they lack accountability in the areas of the environment, I don't think there is an alternative political party that has the skills to be fiscally responsible or effective.

All of these deficits, in whatever country, are symptoms of the same weakness in human nature as environmental destruction. If a country tries to get a handle on things, it means cuts to programs and jobs. We, the people, then scream and shout and protest – just look what is happening in Greece and Italy – and so the government backs down and takes out another “mortgage” and adds to the deficit. So countries keep on mortgaging the future and piling the problems on to the next generation – just like they do in the environmental front. Everyone wants gratification now (read jobs, services, social support programs etc. etc.) and to hell with those that come after. As Walt Kelly famously said “We have met the enemy and he is us!”

For the last few years in Canada corporations have had taxes reduced while average consumers have been left to pick up the slack. That is why corporate profits are larger now than ever before and incomes, adjusted for inflation, are the lowest in in 40+ years.

So unfortunately true, we need to make changes that we are not ready to accept.
All of these deficits, in whatever country, are symptoms of the same weakness in human nature as environmental destruction. If a country tries to get a handle on things, it means cuts to programs and jobs. We, the people, then scream and shout and protest – just look what is happening in Greece and Italy – and so the government backs down and takes out another “mortgage” and adds to the deficit. So countries keep on mortgaging the future and piling the problems on to the next generation – just like they do in the environmental front. Everyone wants gratification now (read jobs, services, social support programs etc. etc.) and to hell with those that come after. As Walt Kelly famously said “We have met the enemy and he is us!”

All politicians from any party have the same political stripe if you look close enough...its white, runs down to a tail and when lifted smells bad and never seems to go away.

Government by business, for business is the worldwide mantra now. Blame the workers and wages for all the problems and have taxpayers subsidize as many projects as you can while it is still possible. Lower the bar to the China standard for wages and keep prices high to fleece people as much as you can, especially on the island where we can't easily shop across the line. And in the end, say the other party will ruin us so you had better re-elect us or the world will come to an end. Whatever....................

One thing you can take to the bank is the politician's benefits are never at risk, but our benefits keep on being eroded away due to their mismanagement.
All politicians from any party have the same political stripe if you look close enough...its white, runs down to a tail and when lifted smells bad and never seems to go away.

Are you a politician? Because they are the first to deny that. I ask you to show me they have taken a cut. I have yet to hear of a politician taking a cut to any of his benefits. I don't have to prove a damned thing as I am not the fox managing the chicken coop.

Can you provide an example?

Hmmm.....large corporations get bigger tax cuts, working class has lower wages as more and more jobs available are in service or tourism...government receives less tax revenue. Heres an idea for municipalities, although not likely going to be popular....tax churches and their properties, Greater Vancouver area alone could make millions of dollars a year. They simply shouldn't get a free ride.

Careful that ye not be struck down by lightning for such blasphemy!
Hmmm.....large corporations get bigger tax cuts, working class has lower wages as more and more jobs available are in service or tourism...government receives less tax revenue. Heres an idea for municipalities, although not likely going to be popular....tax churches and their properties, Greater Vancouver area alone could make millions of dollars a year. They simply shouldn't get a free ride.

Careful that ye not be struck down by lightning for such blasphemy!

LOL I'm feeling rather crispy......;)

Edit: It's interesting that "rather" is underlined and linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I wonder that isn't what happens to our politicians after they are elected. They get struck by lightning and forget all their fancy promises.

Back