Good For BC Forestry

SerengetiGuide

Good to see the gov't doing a bit to help out BC communities...as well as forestry around Canada.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=1211034

The federal government will spend $1.15 billion on new initiatives to rural and remote communities in Canada, many of which depend on the struggling forestry sector for their survival.

Natural Resources Minister Lisa Raitt said the federal budget, to be tabled Tuesday, will contain three new initiatives to help the forestry and resource sector.

"I've made my case to the minister of finance about what the Canadian forestry industry should see to help them through the global recession. I think we can expect to see a substantial commitment to forestry," Raitt said in a speech in Nova Scotia at the Sydney and Area Chamber of Commerce.

'I think we can expect to see a substantial commitment to forestry,' said Lisa Raitt, federal minister of natural resources, in a speech.
Rick Macwilliam, Edmonton Journal

Font:****Raitt said that she expects the budget will contain a new community adjustment fund worth $1 billion to help rural areas adapt to the changing economic climate.

This would build on an earlier fund, also worth $1 billion, that Ottawa established late in 2007 that smaller and rural communities across Canada could tap into for special training or economic development projects. Most of that money went to one-industry towns that had suffered from a pulp mill, wood mill, or mine closure.

Raitt also said the budget would set aside more than $100 million to invest in the development of emerging technologies for the forest sector, including forest biomass utilization and the development of next-generation forest products.

The federal budget will also contain $50 million to promote the forest sector abroad. This had been one of the requests made by the Forest Products Association of Canada.

Canada has tread carefully when it comes to aid for the forestry sector. U.S. forestry companies sometimes see Canadian government help as an unlawful subsidy and, when they do, they have often successfully petitioned the U.S. government to slap Canadian forest products with stiff duties.

Raitt's announcement of some key budget items comes a day after officials with the Prime Minister's Office said the federal deficit next year would be $34 billion.

The combination of Thursday's budget news from the PMO and Friday's announcement from Raitt may be part of a public relations plan by the federal government to spread out some of the budget news before Tuesday.

Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz also announced Friday that a $550-million support plan for farmers will be in federal budget.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq and Human Resources Minister Diane Finley are also scheduled to make "important announcements" in Vancouver, and Toronto respectively.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Every bit helps--- but where is the support for sportsfishing? [xx(]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back