BC Flyfishing November

D

Dave7

Im from South Africa and after being given some time off Ive decided to do something Ive always dreamed of, traveling to BC for a few weeksfishing the rivers. Im hiring an RV on the 1st of November in Vancouver and from there I would like to slowly head north eventually ending up around Prince Rupert.
From what Ive read, November is quite late for Steelhead but I would still like to try for them and any other Trout or Salmon along the way.
I know there are many rivers and streams that can be fished and I was wondering if anyone has any information or experiences to share with me?
Would love to know any information. Ive seen great pictures of the Skeena system, is this fishable in November?
Thanks in advance for any advice...

yes, November can be a great month fishing between Smithers and Prince Rupert (Bulkley River and main-stem Skeena River).

The upside---lots of fish in the rivers by then and nobody fishing them. The downside---weather can be dicey. On my way to Alaska about 20 years ago (driving from Seattle) I stopped on the Bulkley River (a Skeena Tributary) There was approx one meter of snow on the ground but it was warm enough to fish---the sun was out and icicles were melting.

I was fly fishing and hooked multiple fish that morning--they swum under shelf ice which made it interesting to "beach" them and get the hook out. Then all of a sudden a nasty wind picked up. I got chilled to the bone once it really settled in. Then, before my eyes (I'm not making this up) the river started to "skin over" . Within a short period of time there was bits of ice in the river, then suddenly, full-fledged pancake ice. It reached a point where after casting, my fly line was laying on ice. I could see my fly just sitting on top of the water, not sinking. I remember thinking---if I were to fall in, I'd never make it back to my truck...

Anyway, short-answer---definitely worth a shot.

Another Up-side I didn't mention: most of the rivers (perhaps all of them) no longer have the Daily Class I or Class II non-resident surcharge after 31 October---that will save you a bundle if you're fishing in November

This will give you a taste of what's in store for you fishing that time of the year:

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

good luck

Thank you very much for the reply and pictures, that really does restore some confidence. Was getting concerned that I may really struggle to get some fish.
I have no doubt that it is going to be extremely cold some days so i am coming prepared.
Another question I wanted to ask is are there lots of spots to stop and fish between Smithers and Prince Rupert.
I understand there are many rivers and tributaries but can you just stop along the way and fish where you see a nice spot?
Thanks for bringing up the Class I-Class II Surcharges, that was another concern of mine as I haven't been able to find a website that describes exactly how they work.
I guess a lot of my questions will be answered along the way as I stop and ask.
Thanks again for the feed back.
Greatly appreciated

Very obvious places to stop. The non-obvious places would probably not be accessible by motor home that time of the year, anyway

I'd stop in Smithers and go to one of the sport shops there--lots of info, maps etc. Oscars is one of them.

When I was in Mozambique in my 20's I met some South African guys from Durban who took me fishing in their boat---got lots of tuna and even a sailfish--I'm glad I now had a chance to return the favor---good luck!

Small world, i'm also from Durban. Spend a lot of time during the year in Mozambique fishing because we lease a place up there. Will actually be up there in December and January.
Thanks again for the help, if you are ever in SA or Mozambique again I've got plenty of info.
Will hopefully be posting some pics of my trip soon.

Back