BC Ferry Commercial Rates now for RVs, Tow Riigs and Trailers

I'm going to the okanagan from Victoria. It's within a few Km's to drive Washington state route 20 to osoyoos or #3 (which is my return route). Plus cheap diesel and booze on the way :)

It's a no brainer towing my travel trailer to go through the states, should return that way too but I'm going to spend some time in manning park

We pulled our Skagi Orca to Kelowna from Vic a few weeks ago. The Ferry cost one way for our truck and boat (55 ft) and reservation and two people was $305. It took 4.5 hrs from the Ferry to Kelowna and we used $140 in diesel from Vic to Kelowna an extra $40 over not pulling the boat. Boat storage and valet launching for 6 wks $400

Even with the ferry cost doubling in the last few years it's still cheaper for us to pull the boat here than the cost of renting a boat for 8 hrs at $800 or 2 hrs $300.

The commercial deck of the ferry was only 1/2 full of tow rigs on the 9 am sailing. The other 1/2 was cars

3 years ago the ferry cost was just over $225

I'll be leaving my boat on the island from now on instead of dragging it home for the winter

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys on the island and or the coast that use the ferry frequently must have some ideas on how they can improve the sytem and likely cut costs

I just drive to Bella coola and launch there. The savings on not using a ferry pay for my fuel in my vehicle both ways!!

You guys on the island and or the coast that use the ferry frequently must have some ideas on how they can improve the sytem and likely cut costs

There was once some discussion about building a bridge from VI to the Gulf Islands and putting the ferry terminal on the outside of the gulf islands greatly reducing ferry travel time and fuel costs from VI to the mainland and reduce/eliminate the need for Gulf Island ferries. You can image that is not popular with those who live on the Gulf Islands who like the life style and would not like to see the resulting huge increase in development.

Frankly, I don't think there's much that the Ferry Corp can do about the cost of running the system - other than to cut sailings. The key cost drivers are fuel and labour - and neither one of those are going to go down. The only other thing that could be done to reduce fares is for the Government to increase the annual subsidy - and I don't see that happening any time soon.

I think at least one of the crossings should be considered part of the Trans Canada Highway and should have some additional funding from both levels of government as such

Only business I know where they say "ridership is down that's why we are losing money" then in the next sentence they increase the rates. They list a whole pile of factors and reasons why the ridership has decreased such as the economy, Americans staying closer to home, etc. etc. The high ferry rates were never once mentioned as a reason for the decreased ridership!! OMG!!!

Only business I know where they say "ridership is down that's why we are losing money" then in the next sentence they increase the rates. They list a whole pile of factors and reasons why the ridership has decreased such as the economy, Americans staying closer to home, etc. etc. The high ferry rates were never once mentioned as a reason for the decreased ridership!! OMG!!![/QU

I am in business and I find all government agencies seem desperate to increase costs. Ferries have increased costs 40% in 3 years. Name me anything that has sustained clients and brand loyalty with this business model

You have some 2nd to 3rd class engineers making same as someone in the kitchen..... Based on the union. I don't mind making more as it is hard to find a good job with benefits but it needs to realistic...

Where did you come up with that info? It's easy to locate BC Ferries wages online. Sure the Cheif cook on a watch can make more then a 3rd or 4th engineer but the average cook makes less then an engine room assistant. Every deck hand starts and makes the same wage as a senior deckhand. The last time I looked BC Ferries has the worst wages in the marine industry. The deck hands alone are paid about $5-$7an hour less then other deckhands in the industry. It's the non union wages thruout the company that should be looked at. The amount of them and the wages each one of them are making its shocking.

Here's the problem, Jeep - not sure what kind of business you're in, but in the Ferry business, there are 3 key cost drivers: Fuel, labour and depreciation (ie the money set aside for vessel replacement). On the Revenue side, there are 3 sources: Fares, ancillary services (eg cafeteria, gift shop) and government subsidy. Since at least two of the cost factors have increased dramatically over the past 5 years and the government subsidy has not, the only way the system can stay afloat is to increase fares, try to pump more burgers through the cafeteria or reduce service to save fuel and labour costs.
That's the business model, and frankly, I suspect that breaking even on operations (given no increase to the gov't subsidy) takes precedence over sustaining clients and brand loyalty.

Only business I know where they say "ridership is down that's why we are losing money" then in the next sentence they increase the rates. They list a whole pile of factors and reasons why the ridership has decreased such as the economy, Americans staying closer to home, etc. etc. The high ferry rates were never once mentioned as a reason for the decreased ridership!! OMG!!![/QU

I am in business and I find all government agencies seem desperate to increase costs. Ferries have increased costs 40% in 3 years. Name me anything that has sustained clients and brand loyalty with this business model

That's the last thing this island needs....no thanks.

then dont complain about ferry rates or lack of tourists :)
and lets move the capitol over to the mailand so we dont have to keep paying billions of tax dollars to shuttle lawyers back and forth.
Sooooo over due !!!

I am familiar with the constraints the BC Crown Corporations have. Frustrating part is I see no end to escalating prices.

Sorry have to disagree with you.... I don't think 20.00+ to wipe dishes in the galley to anyone who runs the boat and need education to do that..They should be paid way more... The wages are way out of hand. But...again I think a lot of it is at the head office....
Well I think you are uniformed then. Last I looked they were paid about $17-$18 as a kitchen helpers and had to go at their own expense to get marine certified to get their job. Do you not realize the entire job with the ferries in about safely and security not about flipping burgers or washing dishes. Engineers start at I believe $24 something, deck crew $25, officers who went thru years of school and worked at sea for years I think start at about $30. Should they all work for minimum wage? Maybe you want to see what longshoremen make or tug board crews get per hour cause that's contributes to why very thing is so dam expensive.

The only people making $$$ at BC Ferries are the top people sitting behind desks. You know most captains and chief officers and engineers could make more money working else where but take the job with the ferries to be close to home. I will say again BC Ferries workers are one of the least paid people in the marine industry.

Have you noticed how many people are hired to work on the ferry from other countries? Cause most people that want to make a living and support their families with theirs tickets go else where to make better money. Kind of like why everyone heads to Alberta for work cause they can't make a living here cause people think no one but them selfs deserve a fair wage.

I think that we need to put pressure on our federal MPs and keep it on them right up to election time

It will be very difficult to increase tourist and other economic activity on the island if we keep increasing ferry costs so putting pressure on the feds to help has to happen

I heard from a good source that has worked there for many years that the small Island runs (not the majors) used to be run by two fellows that had two assistants each. This is way back. Now there is something like 50 plus people working in the office for the same run's!!!! What has changed? Maybe some ferry employee can enlighten us on this. I could be wrong and maybe there are more. This seems like government over the years creating employment if I have ever heard of it.

I know a few ferry employees that work on the boats and I have no problem with the wage they make. The problem seems to be on the ground so to speak.

I think the system was screwed up from the beginning when they privatized it. I know about the subsidies etc. but it's like they kept going with it after the fact. They cut employee's pay on the boats themselves and then literally shoveled management positions all over the place.

I am no union raw raw raw type of guy but this situation does stink within the management of the system. I think a lot of the positions in the management of the ferries are political favors being dealt out to say that the government is creating job's lol. Call me crazy but really look at it.

I'm going back quite awhile too so don't label a certain party with this mess.

Maybe what we need is our famous provincial auditor to look at BC Ferries

I thought they were getting rid of him for being too good at his job. Seems like the last thing our provincial government wanted was a provincial auditor who actually rooted out fraud, corruption, financial waste and mismanagement and let the public know about it.

That kind of thing scares the hell out of politicians and they just won’t have it. I suspect the next one will be sufficiently neutered and will know their job is to make sure the taxpayers hear what a great job the government is doing with our money.

Back