BC Ferry Commercial Rates now for RVs, Tow Riigs and Trailers

That sounds to me like the formula that was used to convince us the metric system would be good for us. Reduced volume, new container, extra cost for the container = less product for the same price or more! Wow! Modern business math.

Yes but you're missing the point. Supply and demand drives prices of goods not taxation. When you reduce the cost of operating a business, that business can then reduce the price of their product while still maintaining the same profit margin. In fact the effect of transitioning from a PST style tax to a value-added style tax is so beneficial to business that price could technically be reduced enough that the increased cost for HST to the consumer is completely negated.

This is not something that happens over night. It take time for this type of change to flow through the entire economy and show any significant effect for consumers. In a healthy economy you will have competing business that drive down prices and with the HST they were able to do so to a greater extent.

In Ontario, government economists came to this conclusion after only the first year and it gets only better for the consumer. BC would've been even better off as consumers had more tax credits and reimbursements for thing like natural gas and electricity.

That sounds to me like the formula that was used to convince us the metric system would be good for us. Reduced volume, new container, extra cost for the container = less product for the same price or more! Wow! Modern business math.

lol. That's a good one.

And that's exactly the reason we don't have the HST here in BC anymore. The majority of people don't have the time or interest to learn the true benefit and drawbacks of a value-added taxation system. It simply cannot be explained in one line. It's a lot simpler to say "My haircut cost $17.92 when it used to cost $16.80!" It must be bad.

That's also the reason we should hire / elect experts with decades of experience in economics to make these types of decisions for us. Making decisions on extremely complex matters that affect all of us, our jobs, our economy and our future shouldn't be made based upon the price of a haircut or a cup of coffee.

I am not very good at this kind of math and history tells me when an economic expert tells me something is good for the economy, my butt is usually sore after. My thoughts are simple, good for the economy cuz it comes from my wallet. :)

I am not very good at this kind of math and history tells me when an economic expert tells me something is good for the economy, my butt is usually sore after. My thoughts are simple, good for the economy cuz it comes from my wallet. :)

I hear ya, every year after tax deadline I'm walking funny for a month! But sometimes a little short term pain is needed for a long term gain. If we had kept the HST and reduced it to 10% everyone would have been way better off.

This is true. However now all your input costs are higher because you can't use the 12% HST you pay on costs as an input tax credit. You will only be able to claim the 5% gst.

So your rods, tackle, bait, repairs, maintenance, electronics, license fees, boat cleaning supplies, food / beverage guests, fishing line, downrigger balls and whatever else you purchase just became 7% more expensive.

Well not a full 7% as you will be able to retrieve a small portion of the PST depending upon how much income you report for the year. But it's far less than what you would get back using the 7% as a direct input tax credit.

I was simply pointing out that the consumer saves a fair bit money when going on a fishing trip.

Thanks for the lesson in taxation and running a business ;)

Bring on the bridge-it can't come soon enough IMO

I'm pretty sure that after all the studies it was decided that a bridge wasn't feasible due to the straight being too deep and too much commercial traffic

lol. That's a good one.

And that's exactly the reason we don't have the HST here in BC anymore. The majority of people don't have the time or interest to learn the true benefit and drawbacks of a value-added taxation system. It simply cannot be explained in one line. It's a lot simpler to say "My haircut cost $17.92 when it used to cost $16.80!" It must be bad.

That's also the reason we should hire / elect experts with decades of experience in economics to make these types of decisions for us. Making decisions on extremely complex matters that affect all of us, our jobs, our economy and our future shouldn't be made based upon the price of a haircut or a cup of coffee.

The people of this province would rather jump on the band wagon and listen to a man, who as premier of this province had to resign because of he used his position to further his financial position

I am glad you posted the cost to cross to the island, I guess I will cancel my plans to take my 37' fifth wheel across at them prices

Last edited by a moderator:
The people of this province would rather jump on the band wagon and listen to a man, who as premier of this province had to resign because of he used his position to further his financial position

I am glad you posted the cost to cross to the island, I guess I will cancel my plans to take my 37' fifth wheel across at them prices

But the halibut aren't running in Okanagan Lake this year.

Leave your boats at home and hire a guide ,when you go over to the island. Good value for the money and as a Shawn points out,now one saves 7% on the tax they pay for the charter. Good deal.

Thank goodness! this is the first time Ive ever heard anybody pro bridge!

Absolute bs about the commercial status.

I dont feel sorry for people who drive monster motorhomes. Unless you live in it and thats all you do I can sort of understand.

ARE YOU ON CRACK ? ....omfg
No I'm not the mayor of TO! Guess a bridge might make Duncan into another abbotsford-however to folks up island we have a much different take on the situation. Don't sweat the small stuff-it ain't going to happen in our lifetime-you need to lighten up-sit back and pay the freight for Bennets Navy!!LOL

Have any of you guys looked into barging your RV's over? It's a bit of a pain cause you can't travel with your unit. You drop it off the day before then walk on the ferry the next AM and your unit is already on the island.

Back