BC Ferry Commercial Rates now for RVs, Tow Riigs and Trailers

Sculpin has hit on the ill of organizations from healthcare to all branches of government. Hire a manager and they will immediately try to birth more managers underneath them. When cut-backs come it is the boots on the ground that get eliminated but not the bloated bureacracy.

We have fewer CO's now than 50 years ago but I bet the bureacrat count is higher.

Upper management willingly axes "them" but has trouble culling their own offspring. Isn't human nature neat ?

They claim the reason they pay exorbitant wages to the ferry CEO's is "to attract the best brightest and most competent" to run the corporation. Well....it doesn't matter how much they pay them it seems....they still end wearing the Dunce cap and losing money. That is...everybody except the CEO's and brass, who live very very comfortably (like Duffy and Wallin) and simply come up with "rising fuel costs" as the scapegoat.

Trendsetter:- you allude to the government having the abilty to make good choices on how to spend the public's money.
And you act like the general public is simply too stupid and lacks the brainpower to rival the government's wisdom on shuffling the sheckles.
If the government is so good at managing the money (which they aren't)....then why are fees,taxes, rates always always going up to cover deficits?
In the age of mass production and innovation many many products and services are actually less expensive than they were per capita years ago because it is cheaper and easier to make them nowadays.....but any time the government builds something, it's a huge cost over-run.

You can give the government as much money as you like....and they will still be standing there with their hands out for more.

The Ferry Corp. has by their own admission been using "rising fuel costs" as a sole excuse to raise ferry fares for years.

In that time......although overpaid executives have come and gone and come again....they have never looked at any other options to deal with costs....other than the usual finger pointing at labor costs......which if you cut labor costs only gives you a fixed finite cash increase and does not actually increase your "profitability".

At the time they built these latest ferries......they built the same old style design with the same old-style fuel costs associated.
No "outside the box" thinking at all in terms of alternate power supply or efficiency ....

They simply sold us on the idea that because it's made in Germany, it must be good.

You have to remember that the Ferry Corp. doesn't care about the overall economy of British Columbia.......they aren't in business to fix the ills of tourism. They are in business for themselves and the brass that run it.

The Ferry Corp. has by their own admission been using "rising fuel costs" as a sole excuse to raise ferry fares for years.

Seafever, I agree costs are escalating...but 40% in 3 years. I am sick of the non accountability and complexity ( I have used up ll my "ity" words", dang..should have throw in titty) with the system. make some practical rules with easy to follow guidelines for fringe users, RV's style vehicles etc.

Seven of the 10 highest-paid public servants in B.C. work for just two agencies: BC Ferries and Powerex, according to the latest version of The Vancouver Sun’s public-sector salary database.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...atabase+list/8161981/story.html#ixzz2UWQe2IxE

2011 BC Ferries Corrigan. Michael EVP & COO $944,400 Details
2011 BC Ferries Hahn, David President & CEO $929,673 Details
2011 BC Ferries Clarke, Robert EVP Finance & CFO $828,096 Details
2011 BC Ferries Schwartz, Glen EVP, HR & Corporate Development $795,214 Details
2011 BC Ferries Lukaitis, Cynthia Vice President & Corporate Secretary $485,070 Details
2011 BC Ferries Collins, Mark Vice President, Engineering $241,014 Details
2011 BC Ferries Marshall, James Vice President, Fleet Operations & Training $237,483 Details
2011 BC Ferries Storey, Corrine Vice President Customer Service $229,251 Details
2011 BC Ferries Letkeman, Allan Chief Engineer (Minor) $224,146 Details
2011 BC Ferries Turrie, David R. Chief Engineer (Minor) $222,314

Is the "not for hire" going to be exempt?

I think they should start at the top and start laying people off till the ships can run anymore then hire back one at time time the ferries are running again. This would save millions.

Yup. Same with every other government department. Then when the re-hire starts, start it with the people on the ground actually doing the work.

As a former municipal employee (management) my experience was there are too many managers managing other managers bitching about labour costs. Everything gets contracted out because the attitude is keep every job at arm's length so if it goes south the managers can blame the contractors. The public gets told its cheaper than employing tradespeople full time, which I believe is a crock.

When I started managers were responsible for getting a lot more jobs done in-house with staff. That stopped with the decline in popularity of actually being accountable for any thing. Fire the plumber, contract out the work and hire an assistant to do your job while you attend meetings and envision.

Made a post on BC Ferries Facebook and got a message from BCF to call BCF customer relations. Complained , asked if the nice lady at CR made $485 per hour like the BCF CEO. Apparently not & god to know.
Was requested to send in a picture of my rig and copy of BCF receipts. One showed RV oversize rate, the other, same rig COMMERCIAL rate.
BCF called and emailed today. Apparently I am a RV , cheque coming from BCF. Email states the BCF Corp made a Bo- Bo. Whodda thunk you can do that with a well oiled machine like that.

That was the frustrating part, ticket booth persons witch hunt for $$$ is confirmed and backed up by depot manager. What a waste of time for me

what is rv oversized rate? if a boat is over 8'6" wide it's automatically classified as commercial? their are quite a few sport fishers that are over 8'6 that I don't believe should really be commercial... if it's owned by a company or used in a business, then that I would think should be commercial but if used for pleasure or sport maybe not... maybe i'm wrong.

I sent an email to BC ferries and got a very prompt reply.
If traveling on the ferries you might want to keep a copy of this with you.

I asked them if I have an F350 with 26 foot boat and trailer. 54 feet over all and about 17,000 pounds.
I am 8'6" wide at widest spot. Private vehicle and boat.
What is the rate from Horseshoe bay to Nanimo?

Hello,

Thank you for your email inquiry.

Since your vehicle is a recreational vehicle you will not be charged commercially, it will be charged as an over length passenger vehicle. However, if your vehicle unit is greater than 9 feet in width at any point, then you would be charged commercially per foot of the unit length.

Please view our fares here: http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares.../BCF_Fares.pdf

I hope that this information is of assistance to you.

For further information or immediate assistance please contact our Customer Service Centre toll free at 1-888 BC FERRY (223-3779) North America, (1-250-386-3431 outside of North America) and press "0" to speak to a BC Ferries Representative. Representatives are available between 7:00am-8:00pm weekdays & 8:00am-6:00pm on weekends (Pacific Time).

Kind regards,

Amanda
Representative, Customer Service
Customer Care
British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.
T: 1-888-223-3779 F: 250-978-1240
customerservice@bcferries.com
bcferries.com | Facebook | Twitter

I am thinking that once you are over 8'6 you cannot fit in the regular car lanes and are over width.
So then you take up more space hence the higher fare. Not that you are commercial just paying the wider rate.

I was 190.00 & 39 feet for one way from horseshoe bay to Nanaimo, can see how BCF is killing tourist dollars with fares like that, I was happy to pay to bring my boat home but my gawd.. I can see how people are steering clear of the island with their RV's with them new prices..

Sorry spring fever you are correct. Once over 9' wide you pay commercial rates.

yeah, kinda figured that. they got me again... lol. damn extra 6".... :(
hope they have the same "size up the savings" as they did for certain dates and times last year. that helped a bit on one of my trips.. saved a couple hundred...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back