BC Ferries to ban passengers from closed car decks during sailings

No it's just 2016. Who reads magazines? And pays for them? Archaic service is all. Just like the paper receipt for walk ons wtf.

I remember that at the time they were amazed that she didn't break in two and sink. I would rather be up on deck with some options as I seen it coming. I also remember it was a female passanger who was somewhere in the ship who didn't see it coming who was killed and then her body fell and landed on the roof of a Mustang when the two ships were pulled apart. I still remember that car being taken off the ferry with a cover over it to hide the blood.

i like choices in life but i can understand fully why the closed lower decks should be clear of people.. "if" there was even a small fire, the consequences could be nasty..

me, i like walking 30-50 laps on the outside deck because i have either been sitting in a boat for a couple weeks, or going to be.

me, i like walking 30-50 laps on the outside deck because i have either been sitting in a boat for a couple weeks, or going to be.

Ohhhhhhh, you're the guy I am convinced is planning an act of terrorism while scoping out the boat. :p:p:D:cool:

Ohhhhhhh, you're the guy I am convinced is planning an act of terrorism while scoping out the boat. :p:p:D:cool:

It's funny you say that because thats what i was thinking after seeing maneuvers that happened late at night on our way back from the island 2 months
ago ... 5 black navy seal looking zodiacs and one big command ship all in a spread out formation followed for a long time past the straight ..
one zodiac would break off and head straight for the stern of the ferry and throttle right against it's stern and holding for 10 min then back in
there formation all spread out behind the ferry pitch black dark out huge thrusting water and holding on the stern crazy ... it was like something out of the movies ..
wife n i were in New York last year and they have a coast guard gun ship follow all the ferries back and from Manhattan to Staten island ...

probably a bit off topic but made me think why maneuvers on a bc ferry or maybe this is there regular training that happens all the time , then closed car decks coming ..

Sounds like stick drills. They practice sticking alongside the ship while offloading their boarding party.

As I sit here on a ferry making my way to Tofino I had to go up top. Truck is parked on a downslope angle on one of the side ramps...Uncomfortable sliding forward.

Could we also ban crying babies and people talking loudly on their phones in a rather ugly sounding 'native to them' language? ;):D:confused:

Jim Abrams was on the CBC a day or so ago saying that this is all political ********.
The Liberals are up for election and they don't want people/voters talking about BC Ferries mismanagement, should be part of Highways etc...
I thought it was a bit alarmist and conspiracy theorists, until I remembered the last time around when BC Ferries floated the idea of closing down Horseshoe Bay.
I do know there are alot of high level and high paid wankers at BC Ferries that do nothing for the Officers, crew and passengers on the actual ferries.

I heard that this idea was planted by the NDP. If they win the next election, the new fast ferries will break even from increased revenue from cafeteria and gift shop sales.

Sorry, lol, I don't either party is smart enough to plan that far ahead!

Jim Abrams was on the CBC a day or so ago saying that this is all political ********.
The Liberals are up for election and they don't want people/voters talking about BC Ferries mismanagement, should be part of Highways etc...
I thought it was a bit alarmist and conspiracy theorists, until I remembered the last time around when BC Ferries floated the idea of closing down Horseshoe Bay.
I do know there are alot of high level and high paid wankers at BC Ferries that do nothing for the Officers, crew and passengers on the actual ferries.
Nah they are doing a feasibility study on a road link to the Sunshine Coast, so the Langdale ferry won't need its berth anymore and therefore lots more room for Nanaimo lineup. Problem solved! (Dunno what that means for the election though).

I'm quite surprised how many people think the cafeteria and gift shops are there for food and shopping. They are not money makers, however if they are staffed with crew they do become money makers the more crew the more they can up their passenger licence. So next time you feel you can't wait to eat or are going to starve in a 2 hour ferry crossing just be thankful you are on the ferry and not in the waiting lines because they could only take a certain number of passengers for the amount of crew on board.

I'm quite surprised how many people think the cafeteria and gift shops are there for food and shopping. They are not money makers, however if they are staffed with crew they do become money makers the more crew the more they can up their passenger licence. So next time you feel you can't wait to eat or are going to starve in a 2 hour ferry crossing just be thankful you are on the ferry and not in the waiting lines because they could only take a certain number of passengers for the amount of crew on board.

The crewing levels are determined by anticipated loads and more crew can be called in if passengers loads are higher than anticipated

Cafeteria and Gift Shop revenue was approximately $78 million in 2015 and they are very profitable.
From the BC Ferry Corporation 2015 Annual Report:

"Catering and on-board services are our second highest source of direct revenue. These services provide a gross margin of approximately 60%. "

Then to bridge the gap, instead of just significantly increasing the rates periodically, provide a shipboard credit to counter the increase in the fares.

People may be paying more but are encouraged then to utilize services onboard whether it's food, beverages or in the gift shop. A number of people won't utilize the services, but those that do can offset the increase and get something in return. For those that don't spend it, it's sheer profit. Generally, the more you increase the cost of a service (ferry costs), the less discretionary spending (food, gift shop) occurs.

i like choices in life but i can understand fully why the closed lower decks should be clear of people.. "if" there was even a small fire, the consequences could be nasty...

With a 'small' fire, it wouldn't be a major issue. They'd simply need to open the bow and stern doors 6" each and turn windward, or they can turn on ventilation fans. It could also be argued that the likelihood of early reporting of an incipient fire would occur with more people on that deck which would allow the fire to be mitigated sooner and with less damage. This is why 3:00 AM fires tend to result in more property damage and fatalities. Less nosy neighbors and road traffic.

I don't think they would be opening doors to feed a small fire a rich supply of oxygen. More likely to seal the deck and send the fire crew in with Scott packs or depending on the space flood it with C02 to starve it of oxygen. Smoke won't sink the ship an out of control fire will.

i highly doubt that you would get an oxygen starved fire with even a car on fire with the size of the car deck.... you guys have seen the extensive sprinkler system on every boat havent you?

also positive pressure ventalation is very common practice with structural firefighting - 5hp fan blows air into the building, smoke/products of combustion gets blown out an exit.

seems like an excuse to get more people on the buy stuff deck (passenger deck)

Don't know about the rest of you but the reason the wife and I stay with our truck, is that we go over with a lot of gear in the box of our pickup. Don't need some thief reaching in and grabbing something valuable.
Their not going to get everyone upstairs.

i highly doubt that you would get an oxygen starved fire with even a car on fire with the size of the car deck.... you guys have seen the extensive sprinkler system on every boat havent you?

also positive pressure ventalation is very common practice with structural firefighting - 5hp fan blows air into the building, smoke/products of combustion gets blown out an exit.

seems like an excuse to get more people on the buy stuff deck (passenger deck)
was going to say the same thing about positive ventillation... better to have a clean burning fire than one with heavy black smoke and chance of a smoke explosion or backdraft. seems you may have firefighting or ERT experience of some sort... without ventillating a fire the smoke (and heat) is going to be at the floor level fairly quickly. crawling in with a scott pack is going to be pretty hot and uncomfortable, with very little vision with smoke and heat down at the floor level.... first responders usually try to ventillate fairly quickly on the scene of most fires... keep the smoke (unburnt fuel that has a chance of exploding (flashover) with the right conditions) and heat up around the ceiling and flowing out of the structure. and usually gives some visibility.

Last edited:
yup, 16 years as a volunteer, currently Deputy Chief of Lions bay Fire. I might add that i have no experience as a shipboard fire fighter, so my opinion is just that

Back