BC Ferries to ban passengers from closed car decks during sailings

Yes precisely. A few short generations and we will erase what it's taken millennia for Mother Nature to do.

Yea it all started 50 years ago with a guy named Ralph Nader demanding that we put seat belts in cars. After years in court the nanny state was pushed to make it a law that the car companies put them in cars. Then, years later, they ruled we had to wear them. The nerve of those guys.... I should have the right to fly through the front windshield in a 20 mph oops while texting the wife I'm on my way home for supper.
Sarc/off
Funny thing I know a guy that still insist that he does not wear seatbelts on short trips. Just as a matter of principle. Old dogs never learn new tricks and proudly claim their smart.

I'm one of those guys. I'm a big guy just like my forum handle says. I feel like a sardine in a can in most vehicles even without a seat belt. Can't stand wearing one, as it's very uncomfortable and I can barely move in one. I've never worn a belt all my life, never will. I just pay the fine every 20 years or so when I get caught without it. As for flying out the wind shield, I think that's highly unlikely at my size. Personal choice as far as I'm concerned. Kids different story, they're small and need as much protection as humanly possible.

Last edited:
I don't eat on the ferry did years ago got food poisoning never ate on it again. I would gladly accept responsibility via a waiver or simply staying below instead of going above. Has nothing to do with safety it's strictly a cash grab. If they can't keep us "safe" on a 28 mile journey they shouldn't be in business. As far as seat belts go that's a ridiculous comparison. Odds of something happening are way higher. This is only about the public not supporting the gift shop and restaurant.

I also heard on the radio today they are going to make it illegal to smoke on the ferries period. Your outdoors in a smoking section, I fail to see how smoking outdoors is an issue. Here we go again. Especially as how no one is even on the outside decks except during our limited nice weather.

Wouldn't want any stray cigarette smoke getting in someones lungs while they were in a coughing fit from all the diesel fumes the ferry spews out.

Last edited:
so what happens when a fire breaks out in the closed deck section and you all who dont go upstairs are incapacitated by sleeping? lol

Truckers are applying for an exemption, it also stated on the radio today. Guess your going to have to buy a big rig to haul your 5th wheel if you want to snooze on the ferry.

I guess they'll be retro fitting the ferries with seat belts next, and I guess you'll be fined if your not strapped in and wearing a full floatation suit or approved PFD during the entire voyage. They'll only charge a minor delivery fee for service from the caf.

i think i will be safer in my car, and i generally have my floater coat in the back seat as a pillow

Funny. My wife says the same thing. What's even funnier is she also figures we'd have time to unstrap our boat and float our way out if something were to happen.

I hope the oilers and all the other workers down in the engine room get a huge HUGE pay raise for all the danger they face.

It would be the exact same people on here pointing fingers and calling them idiots if there was an accident and people died because they were allowed to be sleeping in their cars on the the closed deck.

Take a look at the statistics on this issue. One accident 45 years ago with a3 fatalities. I would say the chances of a death would increase seeing truck drivers may not transition well from this and drive tired. As long as bc ferrys and TC is clear of fault. Thats all this is.
Looking at the photo from above it looks like the majority of the damage is in the upper portion of the ship.
In this accident in 1970 3 people were killed and they were not on the lower deck (I suspect since there was a car mentioned)
http://www.vancouversun.com/This+history+August+1970/7033111/story.html

And the other loss of life on the queen of the north. Are they going to stop the use of private cabins....nope!

Last edited:
I also think collision avoidance technology has improved somewhat since 1970. It wasn't people sleeping on the car deck on the Queen of the North that led to fatalities. It was the crew asleep at the wheel that did.

BC ferries have since the Queen of the North accident moved all crews sleeping quarters above the water line. In that accident most of the crew who knew how to operate life saving equipment and get passengers of the ship were asleep and very nearly trapped by a quickly flooding ship. Cabin doors were obstructed by floating debris and I've been told by higher ups that many crew were up to there waists in water before making their way to higher decks. So they had all the life boats/rafts to get everyone off safely but nearly no one left alive with training to use it. So I'm down in the sealed tight lower deck and I die in an accident. My wife hires a lawyer who finds out that BC is one of a few ferry companies who still allow this....my wife is going to be rich, BC ferries is going to be in the news for all the wrong reasons and I won't be around to enjoy the court settlement.

TC recommended these changes over a decade ago. So they wait till now? These changes take time..... but a decade? There are other things in play here besides the "safety" cloud. It's like any other industry safety is first and foremost until it costs money then rules are bent and broken and everybody with half a brain goes back to doing it efficiently and effectively. TC recommends lifejackets on floatplanes too same deal. Try getting out of that coffin with people donning inflated lifejackets because you know the stupid ones will inflate them.

Wow - that's new. Last time I was on a BC Ferry I must have missed the people with the cattle prods forcing people into the gift shop and cafeteria.

It is called Indirect guidance, and I read yesterday that there is going to be a steward positioned in each washroom, to ensure the safety of passengers, by making sure that facility users wash anf dry their hands before re-entering the general population on board.

Back