BC Ferries commissioner proposes fare hikes

Huh. I thought inland ferries were subsidized while the coastal guys were running their end into the ground trying to run it for a profit. Wonder why the govt doesnt let it go if it's costing so much? Being so tight fisted it doesn't seem like a Christie Clarke kind of thing to do.

I sent an email to BC ferries and got a very prompt reply.
If traveling on the ferries you might want to keep a copy of this with you.

I asked them if I have an F350 with 26 foot boat and trailer. 54 feet over all and about 17,000 pounds.
I am 8'6" wide at widest spot. Private vehicle and boat.
What is the rate from Horseshoe bay to Nanimo?

Hello,

Thank you for your email inquiry.

Since your vehicle is a recreational vehicle you will not be charged commercially, it will be charged as an over length passenger vehicle. However, if your vehicle unit is greater than 9 feet in width at any point, then you would be charged commercially per foot of the unit length.

Please view our fares here: http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares/pdf_format/BCF_Fares.pdf

I hope that this information is of assistance to you.

For further information or immediate assistance please contact our Customer Service Centre toll free at 1-888 BC FERRY (223-3779) North America, (1-250-386-3431 outside of North America) and press "0" to speak to a BC Ferries Representative. Representatives are available between 7:00am-8:00pm weekdays & 8:00am-6:00pm on weekends (Pacific Time).

Kind regards,

Amanda
Representative, Customer Service
Customer Care
British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.
T: 1-888-223-3779 F: 250-978-1240
customerservice@bcferries.com
bcferries.com | Facebook | Twitter

I found this and you know its the only one where I went yep that's exactly right. You know I agree i love the island..But the fares are just killing economies of small communities.....Way to go MLA Powell River..

[q82cRiPEEGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q82cRiPEEGE

Ferry problems solved in one fell swoop.
Ditch the schedule and ferries for each side leave when one of them is full.
No "restaurant", no "gift shop".
Vendors at the terminals win.
Staff will be cut, fuel and maintainance are cut, inefficiency is cut.
Convenience suffers for sure, but, money troubles gone.

Well at least one flaw in your plan is that the gift shop and catering was supposed to have made a 50 million dollar profit. As for no scheduled sailing times, pretty sure that might work for tourists, but for commercial traffic and people traveling on business, catching flights etc. ?

Don't think you could say the cafeteria turned a profit if the rest of the boats bleeding money.

Sure can! If they didn't make that profit you would be that much further in the hole right?

Right, ziggy. People seem to forget that the major routes, i.e. the ships that have the cafeterias, turn a profit for BCF. It's all of the minor routes that are haemorrhaging cash. Interestingly, I went over to the mainland on Friday and returned on Sunday. The line up for the cafeteria on both sailings was incredibly long!

Transport Canada mandates the crew/passenger ratio. Getting rid of crew would mean less passengers can be carried.

Back