BC Ferries commissioner proposes fare hikes

Sotally Tober

As copied from Global BC:

VICTORIA – The commissioner of BC Ferries has proposed fare increases capped at 1.9 per cent per year over four years — from April 2016 to March 2020.

Gord Macatee said he based his decision on lower fuel prices and reduced executive compensation, which is now in line with several Crown corporations.

He said that four years ago, BC Ferries customers were facing the possibility of fares rising by as much as 80 per cent on some routes.

Executive pay at BC Ferries has declined significantly, from $3 million in 2009 to $1.8 million last year, Macatee said in a report issued Wednesday.

Under the current system, half of that compensation is based on performance and the rest comes from achieving corporate financial targets, he said.

“Cost control has been achieved while obtaining good outcomes with customer satisfaction and passenger and employee safety.”

Transportation Minister Todd Stone said the price cap of 1.9 per cent a year is the lowest since 2003.

Cost reductions by BC Ferries, the government’s historic investment last year of $180 million, which will be ongoing, the elimination of sailings in smaller communities and cutting a seniors’ discount helped get fares under control. he said.

BC Ferries was headed for a further $1.2-billion shortfall without such measures, Stone said, adding travellers could have faced fare increases of eight per cent a year for 12 years.

“We said in November of 2013 that our overriding objective and our vision for coastal ferries was to get fares where they were trending at the rate of inflation. At the time we thought that it was probably going to take another four years to achieve that,” he said.

However, Stone said fare increases in the last eight years have made ferry travel unaffordable though more people, especially Americans, are now starting to use ferries because of the drop in the Canadian dollar and a stronger U.S. economy.

By 2017, five ferries will be powered by LNG and save a total of $12 million a year for 27 years, he said.

Stone said the province is working with the federal government in trying to get more financial support for ferries.

“We do believe that there may be an opportunity to look at some of the required crewing levels that are mandated by Transport Canada,” he said. “Crewing levels are significantly higher than those in other neighbouring jurisdictions like in Washington state and the Alaska ferry system as well.”

The public is invited to comment on the fare proposal until June 30, and a final decision will be made in September.

The independent BC Ferry Commission regulates fares charged by BC Ferries.

a fare increase? wow,
can't wait for 2017... hope the libs get turfed. enough is enough already...:mad:

Current rates make me wince when I think about moose hunting. Maybe BC Transit will take over and it will get worse.

The ferry ride is the single most costly part of our annual island trip. We can camp for a week for less than the ride one way. I'm pretty sure it's never going to get better. Only in BC does "cap" mean an increase.

a fare increase? wow,
can't wait for 2017... hope the libs get turfed. enough is enough already...:mad:
Yes bring back the NDP. Experts in ferry management. Problem solved.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least all the whiners will know what the fair is for the next 4 years. That will help you plan your vacations etc.

IMO this announcement is positive. There is some stability at least.

I have always lived on the Island. I rarely leave the Island. Maybe once or twice at the most. We do really have all we need here if some of you didn't know. It really is paradise and more self reliant than a lot of folks think.

Most of the freight is private and affordable now.

Yep, Clint - must feel pretty good up there in the Kootenays where you can ride your ferries for free!

I'll vouch for that. Fuel and food in port McNeill were the same price as here in the Okanagan. But it doesn't change the fact that there's family's in BC that will never see their own governments parliament buildings or visit their provincial capital because they can't afford the ferry ride.

Yeah, I'm not sure why. I think it's a federal thing rather than provincial? Or it might have something to do with the hospital being on one side and there's community's on both sides. I don't know. I do know that there was a push in the late 90s early 2000s to charge for the service. People up here said no way, stood there ground and refused to take it. Result: no fare.

But: Nobody rides for free. Taxes somewhere cover the cost. So basically everyone In the province subsidizes it. Which should also be the case on the coast. You'd think.

No kidding. The crossing at the Edgewood narrows is free both ways. A sailing every fifteen minutes and it used to run all night on a need to cross basis. Galena bay near Revelstoke, same thing but sailings every half hour instead. It's one of the things that frustrates me most. Here free, there free, everywhere except the coast. It doesn't really make sense. It also might have something to do with there's always the long way around. No ferry and you can drive all the way around if you had to. Not so on the island. If you have to get there or back, your pretty much obliged to pay whatever they want to charge you.

Kootenays lakes free too. Although last time I crossed there we had a one sailing wait because the hippies where having some kind of music festival and it was busy. Only time that's ever happened to me.

Been a minimum once a month for the five years we have lived here. Elder care, social gatherings, blah, blah, blah. Would not move back to the mainland, ever, but my Christ what a price increase in the last five years.

Elders have passed on and one of three kids is now on the Island. LML housing costs should drive the other two over. I'll be able to watch games in Chicago with the money I'll save and no I won't ferry over, I'll fly.

Rates sure cut down on LML visitors.

Ironically BC residents riding the Ferry pay more than out of Province and out of Country riders. We subsidise the system through a 150 million dollar tax grant and pay the same fare as visitors. Next time a visitor complains, feel free to point out the ride is costing you even more.

As copied from Global BC:

VICTORIA – The commissioner of BC Ferries has proposed fare increases capped at 1.9 per cent per year over four years — from April 2016 to March 2020.

Gord Macatee said he based his decision on lower fuel prices and reduced executive compensation, which is now in line with several Crown corporations.

He said that four years ago, BC Ferries customers were facing the possibility of fares rising by as much as 80 per cent on some routes.

Executive pay at BC Ferries has declined significantly, from $3 million in 2009 to $1.8 million last year, Macatee said in a report issued Wednesday.

Under the current system, half of that compensation is based on performance and the rest comes from achieving corporate financial targets, he said.

“Cost control has been achieved while obtaining good outcomes with customer satisfaction and passenger and employee safety.”

Transportation Minister Todd Stone said the price cap of 1.9 per cent a year is the lowest since 2003.

Cost reductions by BC Ferries, the government’s historic investment last year of $180 million, which will be ongoing, the elimination of sailings in smaller communities and cutting a seniors’ discount helped get fares under control. he said.

BC Ferries was headed for a further $1.2-billion shortfall without such measures, Stone said, adding travellers could have faced fare increases of eight per cent a year for 12 years.

“We said in November of 2013 that our overriding objective and our vision for coastal ferries was to get fares where they were trending at the rate of inflation. At the time we thought that it was probably going to take another four years to achieve that,” he said.

However, Stone said fare increases in the last eight years have made ferry travel unaffordable though more people, especially Americans, are now starting to use ferries because of the drop in the Canadian dollar and a stronger U.S. economy.

By 2017, five ferries will be powered by LNG and save a total of $12 million a year for 27 years, he said.

Stone said the province is working with the federal government in trying to get more financial support for ferries.

“We do believe that there may be an opportunity to look at some of the required crewing levels that are mandated by Transport Canada,” he said. “Crewing levels are significantly higher than those in other neighbouring jurisdictions like in Washington state and the Alaska ferry system as well.”

The public is invited to comment on the fare proposal until June 30, and a final decision will be made in September.

The independent BC Ferry Commission regulates fares charged by BC Ferries.

Really? Too bad we don't get the subsidized ones like in the interior

Attachments

• 10917033_10205385461697763_5868434935441438100_n.jpg
    10917033_10205385461697763_5868434935441438100_n.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 157
When I first started making fishing trips to the island in 1990 I had a 19' boat and the ferry cost me $76 each way.
In 2004 I got a new 21' boat that was above 7' high so got bumped to the next rate. Started paying about $150 each way. Last time in 2013 it was $194 each way. Now my boat is 26' and with truck and trailer is 54' long. From what I undestand I would be paying commercial rates and would be about $360 each way. Can't justtify that.
So I probably won't be going on the ferry anymore and will stick to the east side of the island or take my boat around to Sooke or Bamfield. Even with fuel costs would be about 1/3 the cost of the ferry and no parking or launching fees either. Actually get there quicker too.

When I first started making fishing trips to the island in 1990 I had a 19' boat and the ferry cost me $76 each way.
In 2004 I got a new 21' boat that was above 7' high so got bumped to the next rate. Started paying about $150 each way. Last time in 2013 it was $194 each way. Now my boat is 26' and with truck and trailer is 54' long. From what I undestand I would be paying commercial rates and would be about $360 each way. Can't justtify that.
So I probably won't be going on the ferry anymore and will stick to the east side of the island or take my boat around to Sooke or Bamfield. Even with fuel costs would be about 1/3 the cost of the ferry and no parking or launching fees either. Actually get there quicker too.

Can't figure out why you would have to pay Commercial Rates unless your truck's GVW rating is over 12,000 lbs. Not that it matters, but according to the Ferry website, the cost of an overweight vehicle and trailer - 54' - would be about $300 one way. Passenger costs would be extra.

Can't figure out why you would have to pay Commercial Rates unless your truck's GVW rating is over 12,000 lbs. Not that it matters, but according to the Ferry website, the cost of an overweight vehicle and trailer - 54' - would be about $300 one way. Passenger costs would be extra.

last year (my boat and trailer are 54' also)... it cost us 380 each way. (4 passengers) when I went down to port angeles washington a couple years ago and used their ferry system (same length of trip) the cost was 76US (2 people)

last year (my boat and trailer are 54' also)... it cost us 380 each way. (4 passengers) when I went down to port angeles washington a couple years ago and used their ferry system (same length of trip) the cost was 76US (2 people)
we are being gouged and people just accept it. if my trailer had been another vehicle taking that space the charges would be significantly cheaper.

The system is a monopoly. So they do whatever they want. Because they can.

Where's the competition? Isn't any.

Come on Costco, get into the ferry business here.........then we'll see prices go down in a hurry.

Back