Battery to run electronics/autopilot/HP Downriggers and spend time on the hook

Are you sure you're charging your house when you're underway? Do you have a charge controller?
I was crawling around it at 9pm, not sure there are multiple blue seas devices a guest galvanic isolator? but not sure if there is a charge controller.

Any free programs for mapping out a schematic? I don’t want to turn this into a big project but the more I know the happier I am offshore or on multi day trips with the family.

I was crawling around it at 9pm, not sure there are multiple blue seas devices a guest galvanic isolator? but not sure if there is a charge controller.

Any free programs for mapping out a schematic? I don’t want to turn this into a big project but the more I know the happier I am offshore or on multi day trips with the family.
Is there a battery switch? Do you shut off your house battery when starting and vise versa?

My cheap Lowrance can display the voltage of the battery it is connected to. This should indicate whether it is being charged.

Here's a Vancouver Island solar company - they have good solar panels and controllers. Their site has some good info on solutions. I have their controller on my boat and it works flawlessly. Constant read-out to update battery charge status, how much charge the system is putting into your batteries, health state of the battery system. Easy to install - trust me, if it wasn't idiot proof I wouldn't have been able to do it.

I have 2 Costco group 27 batteries deep cycle 120amp for my house. I run hp riggers 2xnss12 1xnss7 ,stereo with 2 amps and a sub, radar , pretty big fridge , wallas heater , keurig machine for coffee also cook as well on the boat through the inverter , autopilot as well when trolling , 2 vhf radios , ais , and all the usual stuff like cell phones etc charging. No problems having not enough power etc. We camp out for days at a time fishing etc so these systems are always being used and not much shut off time especially the heater. I troll on a merc pro15 efi. No problems for me

I have 2 Costco group 27 batteries deep cycle 120amp for my house. I run hp riggers 2xnss12 1xnss7 ,stereo with 2 amps and a sub, radar , pretty big fridge , wallas heater , keurig machine for coffee also cook as well on the boat through the inverter , autopilot as well when trolling , 2 vhf radios , ais , and all the usual stuff like cell phones etc charging. No problems having not enough power etc. We camp out for days at a time fishing etc so these systems are always being used and not much shut off time especially the heater. I troll on a merc pro15 efi. No problems for me
Awesome, appreciate the advice. Especially on the fridge and sub (I may have thrown one in my truck like I’m 16 again) Going to see what there is left for deep cycle at coscto.

Which battery did you get?

Awesome, appreciate the advice. Especially on the fridge and sub (I may have thrown one in my truck like I’m 16 again) Going to see what there is left for deep cycle at coscto.
What size motor are you using for trolling?

Despite never having issues, we upgraded from the T8 to an EFI Tohatsu 20hp with the 12A alternator. Made sure it's a pull start and electric start. In my mind I have a generator hanging off my boat. Whenever we stop for the night I drop it into the water, as it's power trim.

Still humming and hawing but it looks like Energizer group 31 AGM’s from Costco are the best idea, but waiting on Electrician Mechanics to make sure I do it right. If I had more room some awesome looking deals on 6V agms in Langford.

I Found an excel spreadsheet of a dual engine wiring diagram on another boating forum and have been adding my system too it.

I’m guessing my Automatic charge relay is hooked up wrong with my my guest charger going through it. It looks like my charger is a 5/5/10 so I may be able to add third bigger AGM down the road.

If anyone is feeling bord and wants to work on their own wiring diagram happy to shoot it over to you and would love feedbacks Good for anyone with a basic 2 engine/ 2 battery system and how quickly it gets complicated.

Haven’t added all my electronics to it for load planning or my AC stuff.

Back