Battery testing and charging

Daveroo

I have two relatively new batteries on my Campion Explorer. One of them is almost drained right down I think. I can't start my Yami 115hp outboard with it anymore, and even when I charge it running it is very weak a week or two later. I suspect somethin on board is slowly draining this battery. In faact I am going to suspect my stereo because that is one of the few things which has power even when sitting in the garage. I am going to get a charger/tester to charge it up.

My first question is any recommendations about what type of charger to get? I have been looking at the CT ones which are about $100 and provides 15A/2A charging.

Secondly, what kind of voltage reading range should I be getting for a properly charged marine battery?

Daveroo

It certainly sounds like you have a parasitic draw, it could be as simple as your stereo system or a bilge pump staying on. Isolating it would be the ticket and not hard to do if everything is fused. In the meantime you could put a isolation switch into the main cable or disconnect it when ashore. I have two battery chargers, one Cdn Tyre "intelligent " model that is 2, 8, and 15 amps at 12 volts. It seems to have all the bells and whistles. Show battery voltage, percent charge and you can chose the type of battery you wish to charge. When the battery is charged it stops charging, but will continue to check and maintain about 13.3 volts until disconnected.

on my last 2 boats I have installed promite 2 bank chargers
it permanantly installs in the boat and plugs in when moored or in your case ashore
it can monitor, maintain and charge each battery independently,
and yes install some sort of battery switch so you can switch from start to house batteries or disable both
you dont want to get stuck on the water with dead batteries

Check each cell with a Hydrometer to make sure all cells are fine, if it is not a sealed unit

If you have access to a multi meter or load tester I would test them, after charging, under load just to make sure the voltage isn't dropping too much which would indicate replacement.

Your tach should still work but your battery will not be charging. you can visually inspect it if you take off the cover on the the front. 3 bolts. They get fried if you have had battery issues. bad connections and such. Good to inspect it before it melts

Back