Battery Numbers

sir-vivor

Lots of chat on here regarding Batteries and should be as it gets us going and home
But , I was wondering how many 12 volts u got on your 18-24 ft boats ?
I have 3 and thinking ones got to go , it's way to crowd back there

As I said earlier, 1 AGM 1000 CCA and 135 reserve with a portable jump starter that fits in glove box and never used but peace of mind.
again, less, less wires and less weight less maintenance. With the high capacity alternators haven’t had any issues and I run all the usual stuff.

I also run led lighting throughout 2 down riggers 2 lowrances dual bilges and have taken to running a bluetooth speaker so very little draw

Last edited:
Two 24 series 12v on a switch. 18’ boat with kicker that charges. I’m running one bilge, lights, stereo, downriggers, vhf, plotter, charging phone, and washdown pump

Lots of chat on here regarding Batteries and should be as it gets us going and home
Have you determined if they are all doing starting duty or is one or more being used to run other loads? Is this a day use only boat or overnight/ vacation boat. Have a frig? Fresh water pumps? Electric head? Interior lights? All of these would be considered your house loads and would probably be wired to their own battery.

Are you running twins? If so 3 makes sense, 1 cracking battery for each motor and one deep cycle house to run electronics etc

What do you guys use for a small portable jumper?
I have one of the small NOCO ones from Canadian tire. They go on sale for just over $100. Never had to use it on the boat but I have on boom lifts at work and tractors

Attachments

• 98EE67F4-5FBE-46AC-93AE-FDD59D308512.png
    98EE67F4-5FBE-46AC-93AE-FDD59D308512.png
    419.6 KB · Views: 23
I have one of the small NOCO ones from Canadian tire. They go on sale for just over $100. Never had to use it on the boat but I have on boom lifts at work and tractors
I used it earlier this year. Cold day, hadn’t had the trickle charge on for a while and I left a light on in the cuddy. Jumped my 8hp kicker as it requires less amps to bark then it could charge the battery up. Hot tip.

I have a cranking and a deep cycle on my 21ft ranger tug. Both Interstate and original from 2014. Carry a Noco jumper as well. I've not had to use it on the boat but have used it to jump start a couple of vehicles. Great little tool.

Those little battery boosters are one of the best things to carry with you. It sits in my truck forever and is always fully charged when I need it. I think they say they are fully charged for a year. I ran my baby monitor off it for 3 days off grid. It’s great.

Have you determined if they are all doing starting duty or is one or more being used to run other loads? Is this a day use only boat or overnight/ vacation boat. Have a frig? Fresh water pumps? Electric head? Interior lights? All of these would be considered your house loads and would probably be wired to their own battery.
No to all your questions , except a small fresh water pump used very sparingly and only a few overnight week long trips but no use of the batteries for any extended use. The 3rd battery wasnt hooked up at all and was just a "just in case battery, for start up emergency". I guess after 20+ yrs I can finally say to myself, let the 3rd battery go ...you really dont need it, it's kinda like a safty blanket eh lol

2 batteries on my 23 ft Grady. Starting is a 1000 amp 24m-XHD Interstate. Deep cycle is a SRM 24 690 amp Interstate. 6 years not one issue. I run a Blue Sea switch. I’ve got 2 mfd’s, ais, vhf, Fusion stereo, 2 amps/subwoofer, downriggers x 3,fresh and raw water pumps all running pretty well all day. And sometimes even radar. My Yam 9.9 seems to produce enough amps to rarely drop below 12 volts. I carry for backup the NOCO GB40 1000 amp battery backup just in case. I also installed an onboard charger 8 years ago that I plug in from time to time to top up the batteries.

2 Optima blue batteries on my 228 Seafarer, I would like to hear about the onboard charger as it sounds like an easier way to top them up between trips. I remove my batteries in the fall and keep them on my work bench and top them off between fishing and winter pawning season. I think this extends the life of the batteries versus leaving them in the boat.

2 Optima blue batteries on my 228 Seafarer, I would like to hear about the onboard charger as it sounds like an easier way to top them up between trips. I remove my batteries in the fall and keep them on my work bench and top them off between fishing and winter pawning season. I think this extends the life of the batteries versus leaving them in the boat.
This isn’t what I installed but same idea. I never pull the batteries out of the boat. Unless I’m replacing them.

This isn’t what I installed but same idea. I never pull the batteries out of the boat. Unless I’m replacing them.

Yup have a 10 amp Guest charging up the 2 main batts and a 3 amp Guest charging up the spare

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210520-122904_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210520-122904_Chrome.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 11
Back