bass getaways

N

nuck

I am in BC,, the lower mainland, and am looking for a good weekend getaway with lots of fishing involved. Every lodge I have come accross is geared for salmon, trout etc, no luck finding anything for bass. Hoping someone has been to one, or can recommend one.

A couple good place to stay on St Mary Lake are Cedar Beach, Lakeside Gardens Resort and Green Acres all have skiffs for rent and good fishing right in front well early in the year all kinds of places are good fishing.

More questions just ask.

Thank you so much! It is my boyfriends 40th this month, and I am trying to surprise him with a getaway with as much fishing as possible. I have no experience bass fishing, and I don't want to get his suspisions up by asking him too many questions.

Maybe you should go and fish someplace where bass are native and weren't introduced illegally. Or consider fishing for trout or salmon, our native species.

I have fished for salmon, that is all the fishing I have ever done for years. He is a 'catch and release' guy and very much aware of all the controversy over illegal introduction of bass. That is why I was posting on here, to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks for taking the time to reply, as I said I have no experiance with bass fishing so any and all comments are appreciated. I hope to become more aware as I research the subject.

First off all you need is a trout spinning rod combo 6 or 7 feet long with 8# test.

The most fun is top water fishing you can buy some of that gear @ 3 Vets in Vancouver Harvey the Manager of that Dept is over there now a bit too cold to camp for me but he always does well.

Small dark lures retrieved relatively quickly will do the deed no need to buy a lot of different Crankbaits.

The best topwater lure, and topwater is the most fun of all, is the Rapala Skitterpop, expensive and there are some decent looking imitations around now cheaper go for darker colours and one brightly coloured one you never know.
01296_SKITTER_POP_5_CM_5025.jpg

The email function here is buggered up so if you have more specific questions contact hardnosethehighway@gmail.com I've been going there for almost 20 years.

Yeah there is limited options for bass weekends.
Saltspring Island's St Mary's has a great trout and bass fishery and has the most options for a weekend of fishing. Search online and you'll see a few cottages, etc on the lake that offer boats. As it's electric only, you hopefully have an eletric motor.
Other than Quennell lake (in Cedar, south of Nanaimo) campsite Zuiderzee there's not much camping on local S Island lakes. Zuiderzee is really rough BTW.
On the mainland there is always the Okanagan area. Osoyoos and Skaha have good fresh water fishing. But I am not familiar with that area. Do another online search. Both of those lakes at least allow you to bring a minimum of a small boat with motor.

Hi Eric, can you fish bass off the shore at quennel lake if so what would you use??

Quennell is mostly private land. I have only done it while camping at Quennell's Zuiderzee campsite. If you want to fish from shore, some decent ideas are;
fish Westwood lake (Nanaimo) along various areas of their lake trail. I'd use mostly topwaters in the summer (early morning or evenings are best)
try wetting a line at Holden lake, Hemer park in Cedar, close to Quennell. Again, I'd go topwater or maybe some spinnerbaits. Snags suck.
One of the lakes on the Malahat (either Spectacle or Oliphant) I was informed that smallmouth have been there for a long time as well as brookies(?) but I haven yet to fish there.

Back