Bass Fishing ?

Hi ScottS,
I have lived and fished Victoria for most of my life. You will find Bass in almost all the lakes around Victoria. Summer time is the best time of year to catch Bass but that is because they are sitting on their nests. Langford Lake is a very good Bass lake as well as a good trout lake and there is a nice path to walk to the fishing wharf if you don't have a boat. Prospect is another one of my favorite lakes too and there are a few spots you can fish from shore... more for trout then bass. Don't bother looking for the lake up on Triangle mountian... it is only a pond(reservoir really) and its only a good place for kids to fish. You said you were going to be staying at Westbay Marina.... do you have a saltwater license cause not too far from where you are staying is the breakwater where you can catch lots of fish from cod to Salmon and some sea bass too. Let me know if you have any more questions I'd be happy to help you out. Steve.

Hi ScottS,
I have lived and fished Victoria for most of my life. You will find Bass in almost all the lakes around Victoria. Summer time is the best time of year to catch Bass but that is because they are sitting on their nests. Langford Lake is a very good Bass lake as well as a good trout lake and there is a nice path to walk to the fishing wharf if you don't have a boat. Prospect is another one of my favorite lakes too and there are a few spots you can fish from shore... more for trout then bass. Don't bother looking for the lake up on Triangle mountian... it is only a pond(reservoir really) and its only a good place for kids to fish. You said you were going to be staying at Westbay Marina.... do you have a saltwater license cause not too far from where you are staying is the breakwater where you can catch lots of fish from cod to Salmon and some sea bass too. Let me know if you have any more questions I'd be happy to help you out. Steve.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply!

Wow - the bass are on still on their beds in summer? In MB we see the spawn start soon after ice out - perhaps the 2nd week of May. Females are typically starting to come off the nest by early June, leaving the males behind. I figured with the milder weather and earlier spring it would be that much earlier out your way... guess I'll leave the top water and weightless jerk shads at home :)

I've got a portable sounder, so assuming I can find a boat I'll be able to find some transitions and play around with presentation till I find them.

Is the breakwater you refer to Ogden Point? I plan on picking up a saltwater permit if there's somewhere near by to do some land-based fishing.

Here's the view from my parent's site at Westbay:

img_3917.jpg

When I was last in Victoria (Feb 05) I tried a salmon charter. Caught 2, although I only ended up reeling in the lower mandible of the 1st... I was "raped by a seal", as the captain put it. Still, the seal put up a pretty good fight for a while ;)

img_4319.jpg

awesome...

hopefully i can drop a line in bc later this month or next!

Hey guys i am new to the site and i love it. I love to bass/trout fish all the time. i am just wonderin if you guys have ever fished at Silvermere lake befor. I am going to be trying it out sometime and i was just wonderin if any of you guys have fished it befor and what you caught out of there

Thx:)

How long until Elk/ Beaver normally starts to go off? I spent 5 hours out there working a pumpkin worm last weekend but had no luck. Cant wait for it to warm up a bit!!

How deep were you fishing? And in Beaver or Elk?
I have caught smallies in March but it's only by looking for drop offs,humps or point edges at depths of 18'-20'. Then you fish reaaaaaaally slow with tubes or worms. Even April is still Prespawn. But you can catch fish coming shallower with tubes again or Xraps with long pauses.
Middle of May, it starts getting really good as the best fish are really active.

Caught a 3.5lb bass in Langford while chronimid fishing for trout in 40 feet of water 2 days ago. It was a foot off bottom.

I was fishing in Elk and was in probably 12-15' of water. I'll try a bit deeper. Thanks for the tips. What area of Elk would you suggest? Opposite the highway??

That smallie musta surprised you! But they come up like a boot in this colder weather.

Iceberg, there's some interesting humps and drop offs near those markers where Elk narrows to the Beaver lake channel.
Plus there are two humps in the middle of the lake that rock for smallies. If you have a fish finder, check the depths say... I'm trying to think of some landmarks.... Kinda out from the launch a ways and slightly over towards the wooded side.
And if you are looking at the public beach of Elk lake (from your boat), the left bank has some wild drop offs and points.
It's hard with out a map or creekmouth landmarks.

Came up like a boot alright, new it wasn't a trout. No runs, just a bit of pulsing and some weight. Got some last year doing the same thing biggest was 21 inches last year, pretty big bass on 4pound tippet.

I caught a 4.2 pounder on the weekend, and it wasnt exactly a boot but sure was alot slower than in the warmer season. It hit about 2 feet from the surface in at least 20' of water. Was not expecting it.

Nice job Iceberg!
At Elk lake? The VIBASS guys were there on the 8th. A couple smallies were caught, nothing under 3lbs.

saint marry lake is also a great bass lake on saltspring island.I have caught 4 and 5lbrs fly fishing with dragonfly nymphs and leeches.great fight on a 5weight fly rod.I usually out fish the gear chuckers

I flyfished with 5wt flyrod with a little bit of sinking line along with bright small fly at Propsect Lake..hoping to have a trout to take it. Surprisely, a small bass took it. I guess flyfishing works well for bass.

definately flies work well on bass.I too use a 5weight.In may thruogh the summer I use sinking line and dragonfly nymphs near the bottom.I can't keep them off on st.Marry lake.A 4lb bass on the fly is alot of fun.Also try foam floating dragonfly on the surface durring the summer evenings

Back