Bass Fishing ?

this year will be my 1st year fishing in bc waters

:)

hopefully things turn out well

Well sporadically we talk bass and about what's what and where. Give the forum a search for certain lakes etc.
And come back and tell us how you've done when the season starts up.

I will be fishing bass for the first time in april on St.Mary's due to my sisters soccer tourney there and i rather fish then watch her play so will bass fishing be any good then?

yes, it will definately be worth putting some time in at St. Marys in April. You should have some good luck at that time of the year! Usually starts to pick up around the start to middle of April.

Yeah but I am pretty sure it'll still be by using a slow presentation that early. Last year in April I got most of my bass using a Xrap with a twitch wait...wait.......waaaaaaait twitch style. Any bass you catch this time of year will be big tho!
Having a sounder/fish finder will really help. The pumphouse on the west side of the lake has some great humps and drop offs.

I plan on bringing my float tube fly rod and spinning rod and hopefully I will have enough $$ for my paddle boat if so i'll be bringing that also.
Now a couple quetions
1. what pound test?
2. still fishing or trolling?
3. is their a tackle shop on the island in case I forget any thing?
thanks

#1: I would run 6lbs line
#2: for bass casting is the only way I fish, as for trolling for trout produces the bigguns
#3: a few sport shops around yellow pages will hook you up

#1: I would run 6lbs line
#2: for bass casting is the only way I fish, as for trolling for trout produces the bigguns
#3: a few sport shops around yellow pages will hook you up

does anyone have pics from their 2007 bass fishing trips?

if so post them up

March 4+lb Smallie (Elk lake)
IMG_5794.jpg

First decent Largemouth (May, out of Beaver lake)
4lbs11oz.jpg

Biggest smallmouth to date (out of Shawnigan)
IMG_6326.jpg

God they're beautiful creatures, aren't they? ;)

Interesting to note that evolutionarily, bass (perciformes) are actually very recent in comparison to salmonids... does that mean some of us will get uglier as we evolve??

Hi there,

I'm heading to Victoria on April 17 for a week to visit family, and am interested in what lakes might be a good bet for bass (lg or sml) and/or rainbows. Ideally a place where I could rent a boat/motor for a day or two. My father mentioned he thought maybe Elk or Beaver lake held bass, but I can't find much info.

Any info would be greatly appreciated... not having a lot of luck with google searches!

I'm from Manitoba, here's a few pics of a few of the "flatlanders" from last season ;)

scott_mabrown2.jpg

Shoe-Lake-TFL-011.jpg

PA080023.jpg

scottbass1.jpg

Nice collection of fish!
I can't help you much with the boat rentals. I think there's a canoe rental shop by Elk lake's beach but that may be a seasonal thing.
There are trout, largemouth and Smallmouth in Elk/Beaver lake that could be reached off shore.
Langford lake has smallies and good trout but fishing access is limited to at least 2 places.
Prospect lake has good smallmouth BUT is kind of wild around the edges as well as mostly privately owned.
Check out any Mapquest maps for road access to the beaches of these lakes. ie Beaver lake park, path around Elk, pier/dock into Langford lake.
That time of year may produce some really nice bass as the females will be crazy hungry. But of course it's strictly catch and release for bass starting April 15th.

I belive quenel lake in cedar has boat rentals and bass. the camp ground is called zider z or somthing like that. try the yellow pages

But Quennell lake is a drive from Victoria. About 1 1/2 hours. Very murky water and snaggy too. Use loud stuff like spinnerbaits and rattle traps.
I bet there would be boat rentals at Shawnigan lake. Closer than Quennell and waaaay better fishing.

Elk lake/Beaver Lake is good for bass/trout...lots of areas to find bass/trout. padding a rental canoe to the spot which you like to choose.

Be careful with UVic young rowers while they are in training...they row fast in your way if you paddle in front of them. [:0]

Enjoy bass/trout fishing:)

Thanks guys, no doubt I'll hit Elk/Beaver and Shawnigan. Still very much hoping to find a boat rental once I get out.

One more thing, we'll be staying at Westbay marina (RV park), my parents have a spot right along the water. Anything worth casting for along there or the piers of the marina? Just wondering if I should pack anything beyond my bass/trout gear...

If any of you find yourself heading west and are looking for some tips in Manitoba or NW Ontario, shoot me a PM; I'd be happy to return the favor.

S

Back