Bass Fishing ?

So how did day one go out at Shawnigan? Sounds like there was quite a turn out expected.

Apparently the fishing was really slow. Many guys were totally skunked due to that cold front that walked in this weekend. Only a couple of boats weighed in 5+ fish.
Steve Sasaki and his father from Manitoba won the BC Open. 22+lbs I think. Big fish was caught by them as well, it was 5lbs 11oz.

The 4th Annual BC Open Bass Fishing Tournament, hosted by the West Coast Bass Anglers, was held Saturday April 5th on Shawnigan Lake on Vancouver Island.

21 teams faced challenging fishing conditions related to cold water temperatures, wind and rain but many managed to land impressive catches of smallmouth bass. The winning team, Gord and Steve Sasaki, who traveled from Manitoba to fish the event, topped the field with an impressive 5-fish limit that weighed 22 lbs 8 ozs, including the biggest fish of the day that weighed in at 5 lbs 11 oz. The winning team walked away with over $1300 in cash and prizes. Shawn and Hassan Smith placed second with a 5-fish limit that weighed 19lbs 4oz and the “second big fish award” went to Justin Horsman and Joy Stowe who caught a 4lb 14oz smallmouth bass.

The event drew anglers from across the province of BC and Canada including 2 teams from Manitoba. The WCBA wishes to thank all those who attended and remind all interested bass tournament anglers of the upcoming 1st Annual Grouse River Outfitters Okanagan Classic Open Bass Tournament to be held Saturday, October 4th 2008 on Osoyoos Lake hosted by the WCBA.

The WCBA also wishes to thank the BC Open Sponsors including: Island Outfitters, Pure Fishing, Kistler Rods, Amundson Rods, Tournament Edge Baits, BC Outdoors Sport Fishing Magazine, and Riverside Fly and Tackle.

For further information please contact Chris Blake, WCBA Tournament Director at info@wcba.ca or visit www.wcba.ca

I've been out to Elk/Beaver a few times this week with no luck. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestion for colours/patterns for this time of the year? Thanks for the help.

Just thought I'd post a quick follow up to my comment back in March about where to find a boat on Van Isle.

The answer was "Eric". Eric very generously offered to get me out for a day on Shawnigan when I came up, and on Apr21 we got out for a day, snow and 43f water temp!

It was blustery and cold, but Eric got us on fish pretty quick (he was modest about his bass prowess, but he's got game!) and we got a few nice ones to the boat.

You guys have an amazing bass fishery here... can't wait to get back when there's some decent weather!

Great to meet you Eric, hope we can do it again!

eric18_shawnigan.jpg

42smallie_shawnigan.jpg

[:I]
He didn't mention it was his biggest smallie to date. 4+lbs. A greater guy in the faces of adversity could NOT be found!
goofy weather tho

Back