Bass around Campbell River

Bassblaster

Hello everyone!
My wife and I are about to move to Campbell River and are avid fishermen. Back in the Kootenays there were a ton of small lakes that held excellent Bass and Perch/Sunfish fishing that weren't indicated in the Guidebooks or Regs. I've done numerous searches online for leads to the area fishery but it seems that Spider and Long lakes are the closest lakes that hold bass around Campbell River.

Does anyone know of other area lakes that hold decent populations of bass and panfish? I don't expect anyone to give up their secret spot, but being new to the area any direction would help for when we arrive in the next few weeks.

Also, if anyone would like a new fishing partner or partners, for any kind of fishing, or would just like to get together and make some new friends, we'd enjoy hearing from you.

Thanks in advance for the help and good luck out there![8D]

Good morning and welcome.
Spider IS about the closest lake with Bass from CR.

You may have to tough it out fishing for trout, salmon and steelhead mostly after you move here.
You can do it.

There are a few Bass and Panfish lakes down island about a three hour drive if you really want those fish, but nothing closer than Spider for Bass.

Take care.

Hi Dave and thanks for getting back to me so fast!

I kind if wondered about that but hey, as you say We'll just have to Suffer with the other species if we want to go local.[8D]

We do travel for good fishing though, (up to two hours if its for the whole day and the fishing is noteworthy, and the wife just can't get enough of those bass! (Especially when she's out fishing me for size and numbers:([8D])

Do you happen to know if the re are Largemouth in any of the island lakes? The Regs seem to talk mostly about Smallies.

Well thanks again for the info, and if you have any other suggestions for spots in the area for other species please don't hesitate to let me know!
quote:Originally posted by Dave H

Good morning and welcome.
Spider IS about the closest lake with Bass from CR.

You may have to tough it out fishing for trout, salmon and steelhead mostly after you move here.
You can do it.

There are a few Bass and Panfish lakes down island about a three hour drive if you really want those fish, but nothing closer than Spider for Bass.

Take care.

There is a few laremouth in Elk/Beaver lk,smallmouth, perch,sunfish,carp,catfish,trout,bullfrogs, probally some other stuff or will be in a few more years( like pike). Elk lk is near victoria.Lots of great fishing were you are moving.

CR as said, not so bass happy - its more a trout/kokanee kind of place. I know Beavertail was a really good one for kokanee...Upper/Lower Campbell of course but they are big. Personally, my favorite for trout was Regan Lake at the bottom of Mt Washington - was able to get there off the back side off Iron River/ Piggott Main (not sure if its still open and a truck is needed bare minimum as there were a couple x-ditches). Great trout on the fly there and you can even have non-stop action on powerbait off a log that juts quite a way out on the east side of the lake. Wolf Lake is also quite good, and Maple as well down in Cumberland(but pretty busy there). Wowo Lake is also apparently a nice little fly only lake. I got there once but I remember finding it too shallow in most parts and got a leak in my inflatable so had to pack it in sooner than I wanted!

Finally, there was apparently some big boys taken out of Blue Grouse Lake as well (19-22" area) - very quiet because it was heavy duty 4x4'ing - I tried it a couple times but mostly non-stop 8-11" trout for me - same with the Lost Lakes on the way - you will scratch the heck out of your truck getting to these ones and be driving at a 45 degree angle at a couple washed out culverts (and that was 8 years ago). You were able to get to Regan from there as well but I wouldn't count on it, and it would be a sucky ride back if you are forced to turn around.

Going to have to go south for bass I think thou as I said on the other thread.

Bassblaster,

I am headed to the Kootneys in a couple of weeks. Where would be a good place to pick up some perch? Thanks.

Wayne

Bassblaster,

I am headed to the Kootneys in a couple of weeks. Where would be a good place to pick up some perch? Thanks.

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

There are some really good lakes there for perch and some are really huge because not a lot of people fish for them.

Duck Lake outside of Creston is a good one with the added benefit of there being some HUGE largemouths there as well.

We did one trip and boated 36 between three of us. Kept a few and let the rest go. Got a couple of 23 inchers with awesome girth that day. Have the photos to prove it! Perch here can average 10-12 inches if you can find the right school. Average is 8-10. The perch here will bite almost all day. Best bets are white 1-2" curly tail grubs with a piece of worm on the hook. You may hit the odd bass with these too. Best bass fishing here in my book is evening 7 o'clock on on the hottest days you can get. Especially if its calm. Top waters Kill at this lake and the bass are explosive in those conditions. We've had bass come out of the water and hit the lure before it hit the lake! Bass can hit 8#'s plus in the lake with the average being 3-4 but a healthy population of 6's as well.

My favorite perch lakes are the three off of Haha Road between Cranbrook and Wardner. Fastest way there is to turn at Wardner entrance off the highway. Just before you get to town you'll have a right hand turn onto Haha Road that takes you to all three lakes. The first is Lund lake and has some huge perch even though it looks like a cattle pond. It's deceiving because the weeds around the edge get to ten feet untill they hit the drop off. Then the lake goes to 65 or so feet! It's on the right hand side just after you go out of the valley and into the hills. This lake also has huge bass as well as BIG rainbows and Brookies. And I mean big. The Kootenay Trout hatchery releases Gerard Rainbow breeders into this lake each year. Not many, but enough that you can occasionally hook a fish upwards of 12-16#!

Next lake is on the left, Haha. We've had some fantastic Perch fishing here. Many over 12 inches. Since the locals almost all hate the things and don't fish for them I never had a problem keeping a limit. Best trip was ice fishing one Christmas. Limited out with my son (40 total) all over 10 inches and fat in just over an hour! It was crazy fun.:D:D

Don't be surprised to see BIG bass following the perch as you pull them in. This has happened way too often to us. Also rainbows in this lake.

Last lake is Bednorski. VERY DEEP for such a tiny lake. Fished it a few times but never coulg get the right spot on this one. Ran into a fellow fisher there one day who had a legitimate 16 inch fish on the stringer. He hooked it on a Vibramax spinner while trolling for trout.

All of these lakes are car topper or canoe only and electric motors but check the regs in case they changed them. Duck is the same but NO motors.
quote:Originally posted by wayne.mck

Bassblaster,

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

There are some really good lakes there for perch and some are really huge because not a lot of people fish for them.

Duck Lake outside of Creston is a good one with the added benefit of there being some HUGE largemouths there as well.

We did one trip and boated 36 between three of us. Kept a few and let the rest go. Got a couple of 23 inchers with awesome girth that day. Have the photos to prove it! Perch here can average 10-12 inches if you can find the right school. Average is 8-10. The perch here will bite almost all day. Best bets are white 1-2" curly tail grubs with a piece of worm on the hook. You may hit the odd bass with these too. Best bass fishing here in my book is evening 7 o'clock on on the hottest days you can get. Especially if its calm. Top waters Kill at this lake and the bass are explosive in those conditions. We've had bass come out of the water and hit the lure before it hit the lake! Bass can hit 8#'s plus in the lake with the average being 3-4 but a healthy population of 6's as well.

My favorite perch lakes are the three off of Haha Road between Cranbrook and Wardner. Fastest way there is to turn at Wardner entrance off the highway. Just before you get to town you'll have a right hand turn onto Haha Road that takes you to all three lakes. The first is Lund lake and has some huge perch even though it looks like a cattle pond. It's deceiving because the weeds around the edge get to ten feet untill they hit the drop off. Then the lake goes to 65 or so feet! It's on the right hand side just after you go out of the valley and into the hills. This lake also has huge bass as well as BIG rainbows and Brookies. And I mean big. The Kootenay Trout hatchery releases Gerard Rainbow breeders into this lake each year. Not many, but enough that you can occasionally hook a fish upwards of 12-16#!

Next lake is on the left, Haha. We've had some fantastic Perch fishing here. Many over 12 inches. Since the locals almost all hate the things and don't fish for them I never had a problem keeping a limit. Best trip was ice fishing one Christmas. Limited out with my son (40 total) all over 10 inches and fat in just over an hour! It was crazy fun.:D:D

Don't be surprised to see BIG bass following the perch as you pull them in. This has happened way too often to us. Also rainbows in this lake.

Last lake is Bednorski. VERY DEEP for such a tiny lake. Fished it a few times but never coulg get the right spot on this one. Ran into a fellow fisher there one day who had a legitimate 16 inch fish on the stringer. He hooked it on a Vibramax spinner while trolling for trout.

All of these lakes are car topper or canoe only and electric motors but check the regs in case they changed them. Duck is the same but NO motors.
quote:Originally posted by wayne.mck

Bassblaster,

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Haha has a primative dock at one end that you can cast from and there's some areas around Lund that could work. You'll probably tie into a lot of small bass as well. It depends on the water levels. If it's high there's no problem from shore but low water brings up the weeds and it can be a a bit of a problem getting out to the edge of them. I forgot to mention, yellow or orange jig heads seem to be best. Under a bobber if there's a bit of wave action all the better.

Good luck!!:D:D:D

PS: Let me know how you do!

Hey Wayne,

Haha has a primative dock at one end that you can cast from and there's some areas around Lund that could work. You'll probably tie into a lot of small bass as well. It depends on the water levels. If it's high there's no problem from shore but low water brings up the weeds and it can be a a bit of a problem getting out to the edge of them. I forgot to mention, yellow or orange jig heads seem to be best. Under a bobber if there's a bit of wave action all the better.

Good luck!!:D:D:D

PS: Let me know how you do!

Back