basking shark

hi i wanted to put out this message that if you see a basking shark please call this number 1-877-570-4275.A group is looking for them beacuse there almost gone.Get this, the basking shark has only had confirmed sightings in bc since 1996 to 2012
15 SIGHTING IN THE PAST 16 YEARS
so please call if you see one.:)

I was just writing up a thread about this when the phone rang and my son took over the computer. A buddy borrowede my boat on the weekend to take his son fishing and told me he saw a Basking Shark between The Bedfords and Aldridge. He said he hasn't seen one in over 25 years since he fished for a friends father in Tofino for a summer, so he new what he was looking at. I called him and gave him the report a shark 1-877 number I found on Fis.heries and Oceans BC. I guess with the crazy amount of bait we've been getting brought in more than just the coho. He said it was around 12 ft long and surfaced with its mouth wide open and was sh*t brown in color. Very cool to see something like that.

I was just writing up a thread about this when the phone rang and my son took over the computer. A buddy borrowede my boat on the weekend to take his son fishing and told me he saw a Basking Shark between The Bedfords and Aldridge. He said he hasn't seen one in over 25 years since he fished for a friends father in Tofino for a summer, so he new what he was looking at. I called him and gave him the report a shark 1-877 number I found on Fis.heries and Oceans BC. I guess with the crazy amount of bait we've been getting brought in more than just the coho. He said it was around 12 ft long and surfaced with its mouth wide open and was sh*t brown in color. Very cool to see something like that.

much more likely to be a six gill shark , they come up from the depths this time of the year to feed on salmon. I actually have a 5 stitch scar from one caught off Sooke. Basking sharks are more likely to occur in protected areas with warmer water , Hornby Island is a good example. If it was 20 feet , now that would change my opinion !

beemer

6 gills are much much more likely off Hornby than basking sharks... there have also been reports of blue's off hornby. they shut down the annual swim around the island one yr due to a blue shark siting....that was a ways back tho

no, they do not have the huge mouth but are usually a dark brownish colour... see pic at link below

http://echeng.com/journal/2008/08/29/sixgill-sharks/

they generally stay very deep but they come up to feed at certain times of year.

there is a shelf off Hornby near Flora Island where the six gills come up to feed and can be seen at as shallow as 30-50 ft. It is one of the few places in the world where you can dive with them at these depths. it's been featured on national geographic several times

Do six gills have the huge bucket mouths like basking sharks?

No basking sharks and whale sharks are the "bucket mouths" . hey anything is possible , would be very cool if we starting getting them. Basking sharks were quite common around Hornby and the Alberni Inlet until the mid 70s.

beemer

He's seen them before and he swears it was a basking shark, he phoned the hot-line today and got an answering machine.

There used to be all sorts of basking sharks off French Creek,Deep Bay and surrounding areas.....

They were "sport caught" by the hundreds...and the rest were killed off by The Department of Fisheries (known as back then).

Cutter blades were rigged to the front of boats and they just mowed them down. As a favor to the commercial fishers.

Ditto for the baskers in Barkley Sound and west coast.

I've done many a dive with Sixgill Sharks ( back in the day I used to take underwater photos and sell them).

They don't look brown underwater and I doubt you'll see one feeding on the surface with it's mouth wide open like a funnel.

Actually Sixgills have a nasty set of teeth and could do some real damage if they ever decided to make lunch of you.

They have found sealion and seal carcasses in the stomach of some Sixgills.

Not much is known about them even at this point in time.....

They don't seem to prefer humans for food it seems....so far.

Does your buddy get out on the water often? Seeing a basking shark 25 years ago isn't going to help too much today. Memory fades. There are lots of large brown creatures surging on the surface around sooke... I call them sea lions.

If he did see one that's awesome I hope to see one some day too.

was running down Tashis inlet about 13yrs ago in a 16ft run about,water was calm,sun was bright,when we noticed a "shark" dorsel fin sticking out of the water aleast 21/2' ,maybe more,slowed the boat down to a crawl and cruised by this beast,when beside the shark ,estimated it to be at least 5ft longer on either end of the boat,turned around for another pass,to see the shark slowly submerge,as my 14old son is screaming "it's a greatwhite,it's a greatwhite!!,he was wrong,it was a basking shark,very cool to see!

do you think there would any tipes of sharks in victoria beacuse my friend natali thought she saw one about 150 meaders fram the rocks

O My it looks like summer break is having an negative effect on the learning process as far as spelling goes. Maybe we need to cancel some fishing trips and get some school work in. DAD,,,,,,,,

:D Dad with the burn :D

dgbsisisinonono.gif

O My it looks like summer break is having an negative effect on the learning process as far as spelling goes. Maybe we need to cancel some fishing trips and get some school work in. DAD,,,,,,,,

She's just typing like you talk Newfie Boy ! can you really blame her?

Hey NFLD was settled first in Canada which means that i speak the Queens English and the rest got watered down bye. You are right Beemer she even talks like me sometimes God help her

Sorry we are all giving you a hard time on your spelling , cause we all soooooooooo good at it (haha. thanx spellcheck!) In answer to your question Newfiegirl there are lots of sharks in the Victoria area , but they are rarely seen because most are deep water sharks. It is quite possible though.
It could have been a harbour porpoise who have a small dorsal fin and can be seen very often close to shore after a big flood tide washes the bait fish in.

beemer

Its all good she is having a blast that she got some replies to her thread. Thanks to beemer all i got was lighten up dad. Keep it coming and a little help craven would be nice

Back