Barkley Sound Questions?

Just got back from Barkley Sound late last night. Iwanted to thank everyone for theree help and advice with the posts. We had a group of 12 anglers in 4 boats, we stayed at a Haggard Cove resort. Fished hard for three and a half days. The group total was 3 salmon...One of which was caught offshore. I was amazed that there wasn't more fish caught. There was bait EVERYWHERE...we would go through balls of bait that would shake the riggers and the rods! When we got tired of trolling around we would bottom fish. Got some nice lings and nice rockfish.
The resort was great, good food, good staff. We still had a good time, but a few more fish in the boat might have pushed it over the top. Thanks again! I think I might just have to go later next year.

Sorry forgot to mention where we were fishing. Fished Diplock Island for two of the three fish (other was caught off 5 or 7 mile). We also fished Swale, observed a lot of bait and heard of some people hooking up via VHF. Not a whole lot of traffic out in the sound. Fished the tip of Swiss boy Island nice drift over 45-75 feet that was loaded with rockies and lings. If you haven't tried the new berkley plastic shrimp or other plastics give them a shot..They were amazing. Out fished other jigs 2-1.

Tunaorlater - I see that the Berkley Gulp plastic shrimp come in various sizes and colors. What were you using? Did you catch Lings with these baits?

Wow. That sucks. Sounds like the fish are still further out than 5 miles offshore.

We fish every year in the last week of August and it has not let us down. I've heard that fishing in the Sound during June, July, and early August can be spotty. In fact, last July we had to go almost 15 miles offshore before we got into any good fish. If the fish are running late this year, then that might explain things...

The gulps were the natural color vs. the white ones. The rock fish and lings (on occasion) would hammer them. When we fished deeper targeting lings we would switch over to the larger berkley power grubs (white and gold flake) they got smashed (I swear that I dont work for berkley!) I hope the fishing heats up soon for everyone else that is headed up there, its a really neat area. I just wish I had some more time and a bigger boat.

Tunaorlater,

I've never used the gulps. I'm going to buy some for my trip later this month. How durable are they? Do they tear up easy or can you use them fish after fish? Just wondering so I know how many to bring.

Slabby

Tunaorlater - Do you put them on a jighead or do you just use a regular hook?

The shrimp are very durable, I went through two packs of them (ten total)mostly because I would get hung up on the rocks and break off. The fish really beat them up. If you leave them out overnight with out putting them back into the bag they shrivel up and get as hard as a rock. I fished them from both a leadhead jig and a drop shot rig (have weight on the bottom and then tie a hook onto the line about three feet up). The big powergrubs I would use on a leadhead jig (4-6oz). We had a ball catching the big lings on light tackle. One guy in our group managed to pick up a nice halibut (18lbs) on the light tackle near Swiss Boy Isl. That was the only Hali of the trip. Godd luck

Tunaorlater - Thanks for the info. We thought that we would try it when we get tired of trolling for Springs. Something to do until the bite heats up again.

quote:Originally posted by tunaorlater

Just got back from Barkley Sound late last night. Iwanted to thank everyone for theree help and advice with the posts. We had a group of 12 anglers in 4 boats, we stayed at a Haggard Cove resort. Fished hard for three and a half days. The group total was 3 salmon...One of which was caught offshore. I was amazed that there wasn't more fish caught. There was bait EVERYWHERE...we would go through balls of bait that would shake the riggers and the rods! When we got tired of trolling around we would bottom fish. Got some nice lings and nice rockfish.
The resort was great, good food, good staff. We still had a good time, but a few more fish in the boat might have pushed it over the top. Thanks again! I think I might just have to go later next year.

I wanted to chime in and echo that the help I received here was much appreciated. A user helped with numbers for off shore banks and that gave me a starting point to try 7 mile bank, and then 12 mile bank. The lone Coho was caught at 12 mile bank. I heard all the great fishing was still 25 miles out. tunaorlater, the three extra days we spent at Bamfield did not help. We fished Swale, and even tried the Diplock area for the evening bite, but came up empty. We also tried Mears, the Wall, and Kirby. Nothing worked for us. The radio was still reporting only a few fish here and there.

Thanks for all the advice and had a great time at both Haggard and Bamfield. If you need a Bed & Breakfast, I suggest the Imperial Eagle Lodge. Great food and nice folks that try to give you advice. Jim does charters in the area so he can give you tips on the latest catches. Karen makes great sandwiches for lunch, and packs too much food. The lodging was spotless and they cater to the early risers that want to meet the early bite.

The weather was nice with only a little fog to make it interesting.

Up to cabin on the weekend. Ran out to 7 mile first day, got small hali and one 40lb spring.(white hoochie on the bottom. pretty lumpy and foggy but 40lb helped. 2nd day stayed in and fished pill and swale. real slow day. didn't see or hear much action around us either. how'd everyone else do??

Hold up!! If your planning to come to Bamfield. I Was out there all weekend working all the famous holes. Whittlestone, Cape Beal, Edward King, Kirby, Diplock, Swale Rock, Cree Island, Mears Bluff. I saw maybe a dozen fish taken out of about 200 boats. Plain and simple the run is still offshore. Years of experience tell me that at any tide they could show up in big numbers, but it hasn't happened yet.

The fish seem to be holding up offshore. We did venture out to Big Bank and also stopped at 7and 12 mile Banks. Both of these stops produced some Springs, but the majority of the run simply isn't here yet. In lieu of fishing for some trophy springs we stopped and fished for halibut and almost immediately felt the tell tale tap tap tap of a halibut. The fishing was hot and heavy for the three hours it took to limit out. Never a dull moment mooching for halibut out on the banks!!

All in all the guests left very happy after their 3 day trip they ended up with 3 springs over 20 and 8 halibut between 15 and 30 pounds. It was their first time ever fishing for Halibut and I think I may have turned em on to something they like more than fishing for springs.

The Fishing for trophy Springs will continue to improve until the peak of the run arrives. It should still happen in August, but perhaps the last two weeks would be the best bet?, although they could move in any day now. Fishing offshore will continue to be excellent. With millions of Salmon passing by on their way to the various rivers to spawn the fishing on the Banks will be hot from now until the oversized Northern Coho arrive in Early October. These giants tip the scales at 25+ and give you spectacular aerial displays that will leave you breathless. Halibut fishing will also continue to produce many fish in the 15 - 30 pound range, while at any moment a Barn Door might grab a hold and give you the fight of your life.

Back