Barclay Sound report

How far offshore? Are 5, 8, or 12 mile producing yet? Or is everybody going all the way out?

I'm headed out on the 21st for a week. I sure hope the fish come in by then!

quote:They had their best luck heading out 23 miles offshore towards and towards the Swiftsure side. He said lots of springs out there but most are in the teens, low 20's. He also tried 7 mile and 12 mile and said not much there.

What he heard while up there from a fisheries person is that fisheries in both Canada and the US have been tracking a large area of warm water that's hanging off the coast of Barkley and the Tofino area. It apparently moved in sometime in June and is still there and extends quite a ways offshore. The warm water is keeping the fish way out for now.

I want to try swiftsure, because last year I was fishing there from August on and I was hitting Alberni fish right up till mid Sept. At least I think they where alberni fish, they had the yellow dot on their bellies that I have been told is exclusive to the alberni stock..?

Depends on what part of Swiftsure your fishing. The NW corner of the closed area is no more than 20 miles from Cape Beal. SW corner is probably 26-27 from Beal.

HaggardsCove brings up a good point. Parts of Swiftsure are closed. Be careful that you check the open vs. closed areas and that you don't end up fishing in a closed area. I've heard that they do patrol it.

Back