Bamfield road upgrade

Pastafarian

https://www.cheknews.ca/bamfield-road-safety-upgrades-699931/

Chipseal eh?

What do you folks think about this??

I'm somewhat undecided over this decision. One one hand, it won't be great for motorbikes as loose gravel on the hard surface is tougher to see.
This also creates a new safety issue, hydroplaning.
And now, of course we will have the issue of speed as a factor.
I foresee people driving this road much, much faster once it's sealed.

Pros: no dust! No washboard!

I'm so curious how Bamfield will be impacted by this.....
Will tourism significantly increase?

I suppose something had to happen with that road; hopefully it's a step in the right direction?

Pastafarian

If it's anything like the road to Lake Cowichan and Renfrew it will be great. But in saying that it just makes it easier for people to get there and that will make it worse. I would be happy if they just did the Port to China Creek part, but that's just because that's where I fish out of when up there. I always think that's what makes all these remote places great is that they are remote and not tons of people there. But that's just me.

Last edited:
If it's anything like the road to Lake Cowichan and Renfrew it will be great. But in saying that it just makes it easier for people to get there and that will make it worse. I would be happy if they just did the Port to China Creek part, but that's just because that where I fish out of when up there. I always think that what makes all these remote places great is that they are remote and not tons of people there. But that's just me.

I feel the same. I’ve been going there on that road since the 1960’s with my dad and have many great memories of adventures. Bamfield is such a great small place, my gut hunch is it will never be the same and may ruin the allure of it. Maybe I’m wrong. I’d like to hear what the locals think, ultimately it should be their decision.

well, i’ve almost been killed on that road several times by asshats driving like possessed maniacs in the garbage condition it’s currently in. so hopefully
....more people don’t die

Back