Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there for the long weekend with my boat and it was rough. I ended up driving to lake cowichan which was so much smoother to get back to victoria.

Degree of Freedom, What app are you using that shows you the charts? It looks awesome.

Looks like Navionics. I have it on my Android phone - works awesome.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

The Cowichan road was just graded all the way through flora main. A couple rough patches in there but very short. That was for May long though it's rained a fair bit.

was out just after the long weekend, we started our morning up towards long beach, instant double header, but concentrated on the first and lost the second, then strangely dead for like 2 hours, then a short burst of a few more fish then again silent(insert crickets chirping), bombed to inside south and outside south, one chicken hali(, insert crickets) and dead for spring,,,,,, decided >F< this as 12 foot swells WERE BEATING the **** out of us, headed inside and low and behold, found them, finished limit and came back next morning 4 more, jiggy jiggy some whiteys and home we went

Looks like Navionics. I have it on my Android phone - works awesome.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

That is correct...well worth the $14 it costs. Went on a two day prawning trip earlier this year on my buddy's boat...his $3000 chartplotter packed it in. We set traps for two days with my iphone.

Spring Fever will be in the Bamfield area mon, tues wed next week. Green and white Orca-listening channel 6. Be on the hook either in Bamfield harbour or port desiree. Drop by for a bevy if you see us. I share info!

At least I know you aren't talking about me because I didn't come in until 9.

HAHAHAHA!! That's awesome.

Talking about taxidickbreath...

Roads bumpy as it's been raining all week but nice now. Of course with DOF and LP in town it'll be low tide for 2 days... lol

I'll watch for you next week Spring Fever.

Running the rig over your way tomorrow for servicing Rabbi.
Will pm you my cell number - be nice to have a sit-down before The Madness commences! ;)
Drop a dime any time tonight or tomorrow and let's hook Up!

Looking Forward...

Cheers,
Nog

EDIT: Your mailbox is full Buddy. Check your Faceless Messages...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sittin on the pick.. Nice 40.. I be here til tuesday aft..

Be on brady beach sat aft for a celebration of life in memory of our fallen friend..

Quick report from the weekend trip.

Left the house at around 5am. Got checked in at Island west. Note they are repainting and replacing the flooring in the motel units. makes them not bad at all for the money.Got out on the water shortly after and picked a spot to drop the hook. Baited up and sent em to bottom. fished a couple hours for Nata and then as the tide started to flood the Hali started cruising. I started it off with one that went 22Lbs. A very short time later the inevitable happened. Rob hooked a nice one. Did just enough to have me begging for it not to be a BIG. Alas, I was not granted my wish. here we had a fish that was clearly over the 126. I laid the harpoon on it just to be sure and it was a few inches past the black line. Fish was quite wide and the biggest to come to my boats edge ever. My estimate was about a 70-75 lber. Had to take a pic and cut it loose as hook was berried DEEP!!!

I will be posting a comment addressing my thoughts on having to release this fish ON ANOTHER THREAD this thread is for fishing reports.

Pic provided dose not do this fish justice,it was bigger than it appears and actually was quite cooperative for a measure.

Got reorganized and managed to find one more about 18lbs measured 87cm. so that was our 2 over 83, a 22 and a 18. OH and a 75 that swam off with a hook in it.

Day 2 we took a run out to inner south Turtle area. A dozen or so boats out there. We got in on the end of a bite but by our three fish and the lack of nets being used by others that hooked up it was clear it was mostly smallish Coho. We ended up 1 for 3 clipped and then went chasing ling. Found a bunch of undersize and 1 keeper,1 really nice sized vermillion and a good rock fish. Also to note we got one more Halibut on this day but it too was over the 83cm end of the slot. Having expended our 1 each allowed over 83 the day before. This fish was lip hooked and was no worse for ware at the end of it's ordeal.

Over all the trip was great. Weather was AWESOME and was good to get out there with my Nephew. Need to do more work on my Ling finding skills for sure. I had high expectations but seemed to bomb out on that end . Again it was good times despite that fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
well...got out to Kirby Friday around 5:30. It looked and felt dead. LP and Duffer were there and not having much luck. It was a little rough and the kids were hungry so we headed for the Wall and some calmer water so we could cook dinner. No luck there either until pulling the pin to head in at 8:30 bagged about a 12. Had a BS around the fire at Mills with LP, Duffer and LP's dad then hit the hay. Saturday we headed straight for 7 mile. Ran into a school of 3-4 lb wild coho and nothing else. Headed out to 10 mile...didn't find anything there either. Headed in to Cree and did a couple tacks from Cree to Meares then decided to do some jigging. Saved our weekend with a cooler full of lings and yelloweye.

Fished the Wall Saturday night and picked up two 12 lber's and lost 2. Heard from a buddy over at Swale that it got hot a couple hours before dark and they picked up 5 ranging from 15 to 18 lbs.
This morning we got up and left the dock at Seabeam around 6:30...10 mins after I was raving about how well my main was running and 100 ft from the dock it just died and wouldn't restart. Water in the fuel...thank you Bod for the filter wrench, saved our bacon!
Headed to Kirby and fished for 2 hours. One hit, saw one landed (we got there late around 8:30 so may have been good earlier). Headed home at 11:30 with a quick stop at Whiskey Creek for icecream :).
All in all...a very fun and rewarding weekend. 3 springs, 5 lings, 3 giant yelloweye and a few rockcod and two happy little boys. We knew 4 other boats out there fishing in various spots from Bamfield to Ucluelet and everyone had the same thing to say...'should've been here 2 days ago'. There's definitely fish around, just a right place at right time kind of thing...That's what makes it interesting!
Now I'm home playing nursemaid to my puking 2 year old...fun times :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back