Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
was heading up to bamfield tomorrow. can a person bring a 30' boat in? or should we take it to Euculet instead? never been on the bamfield road... but I used to take my old 26 footer into bella coola a few times... am I asking for trouble trying to get a 13K# boat into Bamfield or Poet Nook? I have a 1 ton single rear wheel duramax 4x4....fairly new

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be done, but why go though the hassle and just drive the boat down from Port. Way easier and way less stress.

was heading up to bamfield tomorrow. can a person bring a 30' boat in? or should we take it to Euculet instead? never been on the bamfield road... but I used to take my old 26 footer into bella coola a few times... am I asking for trouble trying to get a 13K# boat into Bamfield or Poet Nook? I have a 1 ton single rear wheel duramax 4x4....fairly new

I'm with FD on this one -- no way I'd bring in a 30' boat on the road. I drive in via Lake Cowichan and the road is in good shape. But that said, I had 3 flat tires in the past 3 weeks and of those, wrote off 2 tires (one on my Tacoma and another on my wife's car) and that's without pulling a 10K trailer.

Final Bamfield report of the season for me. Got in last-hurrah's this past week. Spent the beginning of the week around the Broken Group with my wife and kids. Had a couple of decent weather days Monday and Tuesday until the monsoons hit on Wednesday afternoon and we ended our family trip a day early. Highlight of that trip on Monday morning was my 10 year old pulling in a 25lb spring on a Zinger jig using her spinning rod/reel combination she won as a kids prize at a local derby this year.

Had some buddies out Friday to Sunday. Rain reminded me of several months living in SE Asia several years ago -- heavy warm and very wet that just wouldn't stop. Got blown off 10-Mile bank by noon on Friday but did manage to scratch up my personal largest fish of the season at ~27lbs however, the fishing was extremely slow. Worked Meares/Effingham at first light on Saturday and got rewarded with a couple of over-unders. Had a monster Coho snap the shank off my favourite Coho-killer taken off a flasher waiting for reload at the side of the boat -- that spoon produced so much for us this year that it should be put out to stud. Given the flat-calm waters we ventured off to 10-Mile to see if we could get some larger fish or halibut. Got a couple smaller springs and couldn't land our only halibut bite of our drift runs.

First light again on Sunday morning landed us a slot-worthy 12lb spring at The Wall with a couple of shakers and hit-n-runs that didn't stick. Dropped my buddy off at the dock at 830 and began our venture home to Victoria in the boat. Very lumpy at Cape Beale to Pachina Lighthouse but as we started to angle east, the waters flattened right out and stayed that way all the way to Cadboro Bay. Stopped for a 45 min fish at Nitnat -- lots of boats and bait on screen but didn't see a single net out or fish caught (although we watched a couple guys in a Whaler chase down a Sealion that snatched their herring). Stopped again at Renfrew and worked the beach -- no springs, but did bag a large Ling for our 45 minute effort.

Overall, this past weekend seemed quite a bit slower than previous weeks. Not a single hit on the Bucktail inside or outside (we'd generally average at least 3-4 hookups per day with 3x as many hit-n-misses). Both Coho and larger springs seemed to slow down considerably outside for us with only 3-4 hookups all day (rather than per 5 minute period). I heard and saw some good Coho catches around Sanford/Fleming but didn't make it there myself. Figure the change in weather has played a big part in stirring up the fish. Hopefully will pick up again soon.

Absolutely smooth running home with the tide flood giving us a 3-5Mph push to almost 30kts right past Race Rocks. Made it home in record time and barely needed to touch the wheel other than to dodge the odd kelp bed.

Anyhow, was a great 6 weeks of running back and fourth to Bamfield and seeing friends out there. Looking forward to the next trip and enjoying the fish we were able to catch.

Here's Friday's big catch in the rain -- looks like the fish is having a leak on my leg:

photo.JPG

Here's our "best-5" out at 7 Mile from a couple of weekends back:

photo.jpg

Probably headin there for the weekend with the kids, maybe spend a night In bamfield. Will be in a 542 campion. Like to meet you FD, maybe see ya there

Heading to the nook this weekend 4 boats 10 guys should be blast. Ill be in my Campion 682 if anyone wants to say hi and have a cold one im sleeping on board. If someone with recent report could pm me or something I know the spots offshore just want to save some gas trying to get dialed In cheers!!

hey

will be there fri ta tuesday , visit mills saturday afternoon , track down trophywife...for lunch if ur about , or at the nook in the late afternoons , will pm ya my cell .......... edit ( your inbox is full )

fishin sounds decent ,inside and out , just seen jeffs report on fbook , they did great offshore yesterday.. low winds this wknd ...

fd

Probably headin there for the weekend with the kids, maybe spend a night In bamfield. Will be in a 542 campion. Like to meet you FD, maybe see ya there

Sorry for the lack of reports, we're not getting on the computer much. Fishings been solid with limits being the norm but very few large fish. We are posting live reports and tons of pics on our BC Tough facebook page. If anyone wants some info on whats going on just PM me here or on the facebook page.

Two slabs from last week

A big load of springs and coho while fishing a large group with Rocky Point Charters (Bod) and Bamfield Sportfishing

A solo limit yesterday

6 day report:

Dad ran out from China Ck with his grandson and 1 partner Sat Sun Mon, they fished Swale to Effingham fairly hard.
The boy's birthday SS Peetz was inaugurated nicely ;-)
Took a few breaks to jig some bottom fish.
It rained hard on them hard sometimes, and some fog was THICK.
They got 7 salmon, mix of hos and springs; mostly 6-8lbs with the largest spring at 15.

I drove out to the Nook with a buddy Monday morning, and we traded my truck for dad's boat. As we left the Nook the sun came out, PERFECT!!!
We fished Monday noon to today at 1pm, and tried really hard, 5:30am to 8:30pm hard, and only came home with 7 salmon, 6-9 lbs. We worked Cree all the way to Chup.
Saw a few humpbacks, the eagles are getting to be borderline aggressive (a few would do close fly overs and screech at us asking for rockies lol). We have a picture of one eagle coming in so close to the boat that it's wing is seriously almost touching the lines of the rods. My buddy has fished a lot, in a lot of places, and was stunned at the beauty of the sound.

I always pay attention to what is happening around us, and we were about par with the pack.
So, it is sorta slow in the sound right now. I know that some reports will be hot, but those are the exceptions.
If you are going for meat, it is dicey, but there is enough meat there - especially if you appreciate a spectacular area for it's beauty.

Best wishes to all heading out there this weekend!

BTW the road was quite freshly graded, and other than the section between town and China Creek (as well as the steeps), the driving was excellent.

Smiley.

Out to Pill this morning with my Dad & 8 year old son. At first a little surprised to see rain (yup should always be prepared for the worst) as I didn't come prepared with enough rain gear for my son - but thankfully the one jacket I did throw in kept him warm (no cover on the boat). Lots of boats at Pill. Seemed slow for a bit....then bang - an 8lb coho & a small....pink?! Continued to troll around and found a 10lb spring in Hook Bay. Both bigger fish caught on a white hootchie w/ 30" leader & at about 80ft.

Then a friend said Swale was hopping. Although by the time we headed over (around 9am) he said it slowed down. We pulled up to him, and wham, he gets a fish (so much for slowing down). For the next 3 hours we fought about 7 fish (yes this is the same guy who was skunked last week 2 days). My Dad (78 years old) hooked into a big spring, and unfortunately got it to the boat, and a quick measure revealed it was 90 cm's...released it and with lots of vigor, it swam away.

The highlight for sure was seeing my 8 year old pull in a beauty coho. His smile was huge! (see the photo)
We ended the day with 3 springs, 2 coho and 1 pink. (found another spring at Diplock :)
IMG_1278.jpgIMG_1318.jpg

Yup - I bought him a tackle box and he even got a couple of his own lures at a garage sale....now he wants to throw these big plugs on, but I tried to explain that we can't keep the big springs those are intended for ;)
Nice pics Pwport

I bet the 8 yr old is hooked for life pun intended

great fishin boys ,
flemming meathole , wall , ellis , danvers, yankee loaded with springs ,10-15 lb average
released my2 largest fish of the season yesterday , 300 yards from my front door
anchovies and rubber doin the trick , 45-65 feet for me
get out there while it lasts ,was into 12 or so fish yesterday by 11 am ....FUN......

fd

Hit the rats nose for a session and got quick limits on springs for 4 and then back in as is it blew up sporty like.. At harrisons now for for a four day tour.. Update as were goin... Hit two tyees in satellite and plenty of yoyo's yesterday.. I need a sleepy..!! Good to see ticketyblue!!!

Hi all, First time post. Have been reading your reports and has really helped us with some great fishing this season. I share a boat and trailer with my uncle at Poett Nook the boat is the Hayley Christine 602 Campion explorer.

3 Day report from Aug 23-25. Day 1, fished the afternoon tide out front of Poett Nook and caught 2 coho(9-10lbs) each on anchovy, one at 100 feet and other at 55 feet.

Day 2: After talking to people at the Nook there were lots of reports of fish being caught out in front and all the way up to bamfield, we trolled all the way to Bamfield with only 1 bite. Stopped in Bamfield for an hour to get some gear. Decided to head over to meares/Cree area. Trolled around for an hour or so and then a good bite came on reight in front of Meares, landed 4 nice coho in less than an hour. Back to the Nook for a late lunch, dropped the crab trap then trolled again outside of the Nook, got a nice double header of coho in 80 feet of water fishing 45 feet with anchovey (a guy in Bamfield told me to troll faster like 3.2 for the coho, seemed to help us).

Day 3: Offshore was the plan. We got a late start (2 kids). So we got to the Bench at about 10:00am (14mile or so). Dropped a brown turd to the bottom and trolled and anchovy at 100feet. I had 2 newbs with me so I was trying my best to coach them as well as mange the rods. Hard to check them often was the issue I had. So no action for the first 30 mins then decided to check the lines. Had a keeper Ling on the turd and a small coho on the anchovy, rods werent shaking at all (weird). Then we picked up a Hali then we set both rods at 100 feet and got into the springs big time. nothing big but the fishing was the best I have experienced in a long time. Everytime i put the anchovy down to 100 feet it was getting nailed. With 4 of us onboard we got our 8 springs biggest 14lbs, 2 hatchery coho, 1 Ling, 1 Hali. We were still back to the Nook by 3pm even with our late start. Tried the Turd at 100 feet but the anchovy with the prawn teaser head was the killer for us. Be out there again Sept 6-10.

Cheers.Poett Nook.jpg

Fishing report for August 23rd to 25th:

23rd - Fished Turtle Head, picked up a few mid 20's springs and released a bunch of wild coho. Best combo was the brown turd with super gold betsy flasher. 37 ft and 131 ft seemed to be best for us.

24th - Fished Turtle Head for a few hours and it was considerably slower than the previous day. Then fished Sandford and Brady, picked up a few springs and both hatchery and wild coho.

25th - Fished 14 mile, I have only seen it that calm on the ocean one other time in my life!! It was so calm, the boat would not drift at all while hali jigging! No Hali for us. We then started trolling around 11:30 and were limited out on really nice springs in 3 hours. Also picked up a few hatchery coho and released a bunch of nice wild too. Brown turd with super gold betsy and the pilchard spoon were best, I tried fishing the anchovy all three days and had no luck with them. Have been successful in the past but no this time.

Anyone have any advice on hali out on 5 mile, 7 mil, or 14 mile? All in all, it was a great trip with a great buddies with one being new to that area of the ocean.

Cheers,
CF

CF, next time you are offshore and jigging hali doesn't produce, try trolling a #6 spoon near the bottom, or at least 200' down, with no flasher.
Often works for big springs and hali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back