Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey boys, Fished Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday down in the sound.
We left Port in the early evening of Tuesday but still had a chance to drop the lines in for a quick night bite at diplock before heading into the cabin for the night.
Lines were in the water by 630, and by 730 we had two in the boat. Both Fish hit on a silver and green 6" spoon with no flasher at 88ft deep. Sizes were about 12 and 17lbs.
First light Wednesday morning we ran out to swale for the morning bite, but there didnt seem to be a bite for us at swale. So as we left the area we decided to cruise past the back door and into vernon. Sure enough we found a nice school and through out the morning we were able to bonk 4 nice chromers all averaging between 12-18lbs. Blue and silver 4" spoon and Lime green and silver seem to do the trick. All caught between 88-120ft. We ventured back to Diplock for another evening bite, and hopefully to fill the box up once more, completing our limit for the day. Lines were in the water at 6 p.m and we were heading back to the cabin by 8 with our four springs, biggest was 21lbs, smallest was 12 ish, same depths and gear as the morning. Thursday morning we decided to troll for a couple more hours at diplock before having to head back to port, to face reality once again. We didnt fish too aggressivly but did manage to get one in the boat after deciding to pack up once the wind started up. 16 lbs was the size of this one and caught on the 6" spoon again with no flasher. All and all we had a good trip with constant action. Hopefully the fishing stays the same for all you boys heading down for the weekend.

Good luck
Chrisfish.jpg

Back from a 4 day trip to Bamfield. First time staying at Mills Landing. Great place, friendly owners and an awesome facility. Would go back in a heartbeat. The only complaint was that the fishing was very slow inside. We left Port Alberni by 9ish on Tuesday and ran out to Bamfiled. Our lines were in the water by noon. Started at the harbour and worked our way up to Whitlestone before running over to Edward King. Caught one small Coho and another small spring there. Didn't get off the water until about 9. We grinded for those two fish.

Wednesday we were out by 5am and ran to Effingham hoping to find some fish. We were the only boat there. I guess everyone else knew something we didn't as there was nothing to be found there. After a hour or so we packed up and ran down to Swale. When we pulled up there were already about 30 boats fishing there. Got a couple small springs that we put back. Saw a couple decent fish landed, but definitely not a lot of fish caught. After a long day and nothing to show for it, we decided to regroup and take a break for a nice steak dinner before hitting the water again for a night bite. Ran to Edward King but the wind made fishing tough. Decided to make our way back and finally caught a scrappy little 12 pound spring at Brady's Beach.

Back on the water again by 5ish Thursday morning. The forecast wasn't great and the wind was blowing. We wanted to get offshore to try for halibut, but this wasn't going to happen, so instead we fished The Wall down to Poett Nook. Spent most of the day trying to find refuge from the wind. Found one spring around 10lbs near Brady's Beach. All of our fish were caught on white uv hoochies.

Friday was our last kick at the can before heading home. The forecast was good so we ran to 5 mile at first light. Got into three good halibut quickly and by 8 we had a 48, 32 and 26 in the boat. Trolled for salmon for another hour and a half. Had a couple of hits and release one small halibut. Packed it up and headed for Port.

Not the best fishing I've seen up there at this time of year, but all in all and great time with my best fishing buddy and my father-in-law. Can't wait to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention the boat that mooned us while we were running back down the inlet. They must have been into the beers early in their trip! Took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at.

just back from our yearly shop fishing trip to Bamfield.Mainly fished kirby and the wall,bait sucked,spoons sucked but we found a really ugly hootchie that was responsible for around 20 of our 25 fish,it was on fire! The fish ranged from 21lbs to 8lbs and there is a ton of coho out there
here is a pic from the wall this morning
suninbam002_zps5369d320.jpg

Hey albernifisher.
We were fishing at Kirby this morning as well. Was it really necassary to run through the group of close trolling boats at 40mph only to stop in the middle of everyone and set your gear? That's how you get a cannon ball thrown at you.

Arrived at Poet Nook Friday at 1pm. Checked in and went offshore; fished 5 to 7 mile area. Kept four springs between 10 and 18. Probably had a dozen hook ups. Deep when we first got offshore, then shallower as the afternoon played out. Spoons, turds and hoochies all got action. Highlight was landing two of our four retained with a sea lion in hot pursuit. It wasn't a very agile sea lion, but it made for an overly exciting double header with only two guys in the boat. Hand bombed them both in a panic; didn't have time to pull the gaffe...nasty frickin' line cuts. Next time, will make time for the gaffe.

Back out to 5 mile area Sat morning around 8, fishing was active enough for us on Friday aft. we felt no rush to get out there. 4 inch spoons down on saturday and it was non stop five pounders released alongside the boat. Figured we would pick up and move, but before doing so changed strategies, big butt gibbs dazzler and a tomic 602 bouncing bottom in 200 feet of water, 220 on the rigger. Dead slow troll as in 2.0 mph tops to get the balls down. Three 16 to 19 pound springs and two hali in about 45 minutes = two day limit for two and time to head in. Slept in this morning after a few celebratory cocktails and ran back down the inlet to head home. Of the 8 springs kept, 3 were white, two were hatchery clipped.

Glad to hear you did well Albernifisher! Most that we spoke to at the dock who fished inside were catching very small fish; but we never put a line down inside so I can't comment on how it actually was, just what I was told. Heard there were lots of Coho around. Of the 25 or so fish to the boat at 5 to 7 mile for us, no coho...which makes up for last August for us, when it was the exact opposite.

P.S. for it is worth, when running down the PI inlet at 9 a.m. we saw well over 125 boats and not a single net out, or fish on. Lots of wood in the canal, boaters beware...nice to see the log dumps and mills active though.

Last edited by a moderator:
persistent, it wasn't a tight group and there was more then enough room for me to run through. I guess you havn't fished the inlet when it's packed and there is people running at full throttle a rods length away. Next time I'll go slower so I throw a huge wake for you

Fished Swale Friday night ..5:00-8:00 ..hook 11-fish from 6 to 17lbs... on bait.... :) Drop the my buddies Grady off at Poets Nook & the owner jumped on to carry on for the weekend...pretty good fishing over all... just love the west coast... :)

I think we were going to get a picture of the really ugly hootchie, now persy pants has spoiled it for all of us. Nice fishing albernif.

just got back from bamfield last night fished friday night and sat. morning got our limits of springs and pick up a few ho,s mainly fished 5 and 7 mile and man was it calm and awesome out there both days stay at harbourside john and tom are great hosts

Quicky

just back from a 4 dayer , alot of messages of guys askin where all the fish are on the inside ,
it is by no means lights out fishin in the sound right now , there are a few guys fairly dialed in ,( not us lol ) but , most are
struggling ta find decent numbers , i moved around ALOT , the places that were consistent were Vernon , DIPLOCK , Swale , Meares ,
the rest were fairly quiet ,drop ur lines , if nothin is happenin in 20-30 min , move on ,if ya hit a decent fish , stay and pay usually made it worth while.... dont get caught up in the , Oh theres 30 boats here , it must be good , some of the best spots had very few boats , the fish seemed ta move from day ta day , we did manage our limits ,12- 18lbs , but , we worked hard for them no doubt , most fish were 80 - 110 feet , turd hoochies and ultra violet hoochies were solid , Anchovies also were good , but , my hot ticket was the 334 Purple Haze Spoon by Zutro , behind a 6 ft leader , needles didnt do much for us , salmon are now loaded with 5-7 herring , last , quite a few Coho in the sound 2 now , hope it keeps up through August ....

Didnt hit offshore at all , was still nervous with the issues ive been having , ( WATER IN FUEL grrrrrrr ) all good now ,
i know the 5-7 mile , Rats Nose banks are loaded with Coho , a few Chinook mixed in , great Chicken Hali , ridiculous amounts of Coho , the dock cleaning stations were swamped..

Prawning Poor - Crabbing in the right areas was Great..

later

fd

Good pal with a teener...

I'm thinking of driving in with truck/camper and boat, any idea on road conditions? With all the rain not sure I want to try it.

Wife won't drive the truck/camper down the road, so running the boat (21ft) down the inlet is not an option.

Thanks for any info,
Barman

I went June 13-16th with a 11 camper on a crew dually w 23' boat ( close to 20,000lbs total ). While it wasn't fun, I thought it was acceptable. I drove 25-30 kph and really only found a few very short sections that had excessive loose rocks.
The road had been sprayed in many sections while I was in Bam and it was very good coming out 70+ empty.

I went June 13-16th with a 11 camper on a crew dually w 23' boat ( close to 20,000lbs total ). While it wasn't fun, I thought it was acceptable. I drove 25-30 kph and really only found a few very short sections that had excessive loose rocks.
The road had been sprayed in many sections while I was in Bam and it was very good coming out 70+ empty.

Nice rig.....I was driving beside you when U went thru Nanoose bye the Petro Can... :)

Thanks Tykkyt, that's exactly the info I was looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back