Baitrix Tuneable Anchovy

RookieHook

Hello ... I'm new to the fishing game but having fun trying to figure it out. Been adding lures to my tackle box ... mostly by reading what people are using on these forums. I take it that Anchovies are bad butt for salmon but have stuck to spoons and hoochies because the Anchovy deal seemed best suited for the experienced ... however ... I was in CrappyTire yesterday and saw these Baitrix artificial and tuneable anchovies ... never seen them before ... but the store is carrying a ton of them this year. In previous years I only saw the teaser heads ... and never noticed any artificial anchovies ... maybe they were there but they didn't stand out like this year with stacks of them. Anyway ... these things come in packs of multiples with no line or hooks. I imagine you buy the teaser heads with the pin already included ... put the anchovy into that head with the hook positioned somewhere along the length of the anchovy body ... and set the took at desired position. My questions ... in B.C. waters ... do you use single hooks or treble hooks on these setups? If it's the treble hook ... than setting the hook into the anchovy body is pretty straight forward ... but ... if it's a single hook ... how do you set it in the body? Do you leave it dangling (loose) ... or do you pierce the body in some fashion? I hope it's not a dumb question ... I just haven't been able to get a clear idea of how it should be done. Checked the Baitrix site and they use treble hooks ... pretty simple ... but I suspect we can only use single barbless for salmon and so that's where the question on setup comes in. Once I get that figured out ... bend and twist the bugger and see if this anchovy deal will work for me too ... lol !!! TIA

2 barbless singles or a barbless treble or 2 barbless trebles, or a barbless treble with a single trailer. I like the first option myself, but I tend to fish more plugs and spoons now.
If you fish the west coast lots of things will work including Baitrix. They are good for getting an idea how to roll real bait. Also better than bait if there are lots of dogfish because dogfish tend to leave it alone and you don't have to check bait for damage as often.

Find they work have decently, not nearly as well as real bait unless the bite is really on. Fish seem to grab and let go much quicker as well.

Find they work have decently, not nearly as well as real bait unless the bite is really on. Fish seem to grab and let go much quicker as well.

X2 Learn to fish real bait, you will not regret it. The basics are easy but only experience will really teach you all the nuances that will make you more and more successful over time. Save the plastic for when you run out of bait.

I find that when out alone I opt for plastic or spoons as you don't have to spend time "tuning" them. I might use bait if it is a particularly quiet day. Tough to steer and tune simultaneously.

Back