Backing on reels

CIVANO

Do you put backing on halibut reels before adding power pro? I put 1000' on a Penn reel and the arbor is small and the line is a long way below the normal fill. I was wondering about backing and if the power pro would just dig into between the strands.

Yes put backing on so that the spool is full. Full spool retrieves line faster. I use dacron or older braid unless its a reel for a fish that might spool you then I fill with the braid I'm using. Most guys don't want to put 600 or 800 yards of expensive line so put on backing and then your 300 yards or so.

I have Dacron. I will remove the braid and add the backing. I had the same thought that there would be a lot of cranking with that line so close to the small arbor

I have Dacron. I will remove the braid and add the backing. I had the same thought that there would be a lot of cranking with that line so close to the small arbor
Hey Civano
Wind the backing on top of the braid for a start so you get the right amount. Then you remove it, then take off the braid and add your measured backing. More work but when you are done you will have the braid at the perfect level on your reel. And of course wind it on as tight as tight can be.
cheers

Hey Civano
Wind the backing on top of the braid for a start so you get the right amount. Then you remove it, then take off the braid and add your measured backing. More work but when you are done you will have the braid at the perfect level on your reel. And of course wind it on as tight as tight can be.
cheers
Great suggestion. Thank you

I don't like my spools to full. If you have goobers using them they will bind up the line on one side. Also, some reels due to gear ratio work better with a 3/4 spool (my opinion anyways). It ain't like halibut run towards you.

Second Cory's comment about the lighter leader line On the lead or a zap strap. can tie a couple feet of mono above your slider rig or spreader too. Don't have to worry about respooling braid that way.

I like my heavy braid as it's easier on the hands when their saturated. The 65lb stuff seems to line cut easier. Also nice that as the 100lb wears over the season you dont have to worry as much about all the imperfections like you would with a lighter test.

Dumb newb question here. What is the purpose of backing? Why not just use a full spool of whatever line you're using?

1500 yards of power pro 65# is $141 US. I can put 1100" on each of my 4 reels. 3 have a large arbor and worked fine but this 1 has a small arbor and the line did not come up high enough. I used some yellow 65# power pro that I had around for the backing. Did not have enough dacron.

Dumb newb question here. What is the purpose of backing? Why not just use a full spool of whatever line you're using?
Not a dumb question at all. The fuller the line spool, the higher/faster the retreive ratio is which is generally what you want. The newer super-braid lines are a much smaller diameter that their monofilament counterparts of the same strength. The super braid lines are expensive, so some choose to first install backing of a cheaper line with the more expensive line on top. As an example in the post above the OP was considering using backing, but realized (rather wisely) that for $36 per reel he can fill his reels & not F*CK around with splicing the lines.
I always use a full spool of superbraid on every reel I own. It is more expensive, but lasts well over 10 years compared to 1 year for mono.

Back