ATTENTION: JOIN THE WAR ON FISHFARMING!

Little Hawk

Howdy,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My name is Terry Anderson. I'm a BC Sportfisherman, father of two, and relative newcomer to the SFBC Forum. I am a 51 yr/old self-employed carpenter. I am NOT affilliated or representative of ANY organization.

The singular intention of this post is: TO GATHER NAMES (A REGISTRY) AND BUILD A MEMBERSHIP/ALLIANCE OF FELLOW SPORTFISHERMEN(WOMAN) WHO WILL UNITE AND BRING FORCE TO BEAR WITH THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF ENDING NET-PEN FISHFARMING ON THE PACIFIC COAST OF CANADA.

IN THE NAME OF CONSERVATION AND THE KNOWN DIRECT-THREATS THAT NET-PEN FISHFARMING POSES TO OUR 'WILD' PACIFIC SALMON - I IMPLORE THE S.F.B.C. STAFF/MODERATORS TO EMBED THIS POST AT (OR NEAR) THE TOP OF BOTH THE SALT-WATER FORUM AND THE OPEN-FORUM SO AS TO ATTRACT AS GREAT A RESPONSE TO THIS PLIGHT AS POSSIBLE IN THE NEAR TERM.

Note: Fishfarming - herein, refers to the net-pen version practiced in the ocean off the West Coast of Canada.

<center>***</center>

Are you tired of listening to the never-ending stream of rhetoric from our elected officials concerning the state of net-pen fishfarming in British Columbia?

Have you had enough of hearing those same elected officials sing the praises of an industry so despicable, so destructive and threatening to our coastal ecology and Wild Pacific Salmon, that it, rightfully so, should be classed accordingly alongside habitat-destruction and over-fishing as a primary contributing factor to the rampant decline in wild Pacific salmon populations?

Are you, my fellow Sportfisherman, so incensed by this whole fiasco that you are now sufficiently motivated to do whatever it takes to rid our pristine Coastline of this menace - once and for all - in order to help ensure that there ARE WILD-FISH LEFT FOR OUR KIDS AND GRANDCHILDREN?

If you are ready to go to WAR with our Government and the Foreigners' who control about 90% of the industry, rest assured you are not alone my friend. Ironically, same as it is the 'Hunters' who are the primary contributors ensuring the long-term survivability of big-game populations in BC, so too, it will be the 'BC Sportfishermen' - the men, women and children - who chase these great-fish with rod in hand that will unite to drive the final nail in the fishfarmers-coffin on the Coast of BC.

None before us, nor after us, will be more passionate or fiercly resolute in our drive to save these magnificent fish from the hands of incompetence and greed. The passion to do something about it, has always been there; sadly ORGANIZATION hasn't.

NOW, IT'S TIME WE GET ORGANIZED!

WARNING: As I have previously been actively involved in the opposition to net-pen fishfarming I can assure you that:

a) It will not be an easy battle to win. There are big offshore corporations with big money to throw at defending their dispicable practices. I suspect also that money has changed-hands under the table. I'm of the firm belief that people of power and political clout have been paid to act in support of this industry, or, at the very least - to turn a blind eye to its destructive practices.

b) After being confronted by their most worthy opponent to date - the fishfarmers will respond in kind with a heavily financed media blitz touting the usual BS about how many jobs the industry creates, how environmentally-sensitive the industry is etc.; ad nausea.

c) We will have to be prepared to impliment and embrace new ideas, to walk on previously untried ground by previous opposition movements.

d) We will need to attract into our ranks the support of influential people, people of political rapport, and celebrity. Although it will be the 'little-people' - the Sportfishermen like you and me - that comprise the driving-force behind this movement, I believe any and all help from people of elevated scientific or social status should be welcomed to the cause.

Do not join this movement if all you can contribute is the occasional 'point-and-click of a mouse'. I'm calling upon those of you who, like myself, are ready to committ both time and energy in a concerted - well organized - effort to rid British Columbia's coastline of all net-pen fishfarming operations. If you are not 'truly-passionate' about doing all that you can to ensure that there ARE WILD-FISH LEFT FOR OUR KIDS, take a seat on the sidelines and watch the fireworks. If you are still 'on the fence' on the issue, I encourage you to do as I did - research the Industry then take a stance. We could sure use your help, or, on the other hand, the Fishfarmers' will certainly need your support while they fight for their very existance.

My appeal here is a 'grass-roots' plea to my fellow Sportfishermen.
I have never formed an organization like this before and I need all the help I can get.

OBJECTIVES & ITINERARY:

Objective</u>: To organize the powerful, expansive, and passionate Sportfishing community of BC to bring immediate force to bear on Government and the Industry to end net-pen fishfarming on the Pacific Coast of Canada.

ITINERARY:

a) Create a registry: Done. I have created an email directory on my laptop for the purpose of assembling names and email addresses of those individuals who wish to join this scrape with the fishfarmers and Government.(I realize that fishfarmers themselves could easily infiltrate this organization and or, wreak havock with my email. I am prepared to deal with this if it happens and am prepared to move ahead... "We shall defend our Wild Fishes - whatever the cost may be - we shall never surrender!")

b) Once sufficient membership numbers have been amassed, I will call an inaugural meeting here in Victoria to establish an executive or management team and plot the direction of the organization. I think all opposed to fishfarming should be welcomed to this organization; we fishermen are not the only ones passionately opposed to it. (I am adamant that this new organization remain strictly 'NON-PROFIT'.)

c) In the next two weeks or so I will commence the drafting of a new article (hopefully a feature article) on the state of fishfarming in BC (now, as compared to five-yrs. ago when my previous article was published in BC Outdoors/Sportfishing Magazine). This would also be - with a subscriber circulation of around 70,000 - an excellent platform to alert other perspective members to our organization/cause.

I urge you - my fellow Sportfishermen - to join with me and charge ahead with fishing rods in hand - clutched like a sword - as we endeavor to liberate both our Coastal Waterways and our Beloved Pacific Salmon of this environmentally filthy menace.

TO JOIN THE 'BC-SPORTFISHERMANS ALLIANCE': WAR ON FISHFARMING

SEND ME A BRIEF EMAIL WITH YOUR FULL NAME AND AN EMAIL CONTACT ADDRESS

silversaw@telus.net

Out of respect for the SFBC Organization, all future contact with members concerning the state or activities of this new organization will be done through my email. This is not to discourage anyone from posting future fishfarming topics.

Cheers,
Terry Anderson
Victoria, BC.

Terry, I hope you are what you say you are.
It would be very easy for the pro fish farm group to infiltrate this membership via this very posting thereby effectively muting our collective voice.
"Know you enemy!"
I have sent you an email with my name and address in support dispite my paranoid inclinations.
There is, as you know, other web forums you could post to also.

Howdy,

If the good people at SFBC refuse to embed this thread at or near the top of this forum's index page I will be forced to manually 'bump' this topic each and every day until every last member has had an opportunity to enlist in the war-on-fishfarming!

Today the ARMY stands at: 10</u>

Blueorca;

Thankyou!

I have given considerable thought to the issue of the Industry's response to this initiative. Indeed, they will respond.

Three things come to mind around this that help me sleep easier.

1) I don't give a FLYIN'-FU#* what any fishfarmer thinks about the prospect of getting 'punted' out of BC's waters and having to seek out new frontiers to pollute and infect with diseases/parasites and escaped non-indigenous fish!

2) If you, Blueorca - my fellow Sportfisherman, are even a fraction as passionate about ending fishfarming as I am, then you my friend - are a force to be reckoned with!</u>

Imagine the collective energy of HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of us banded together as we fight - to tip the scales back in favor of the 'Wild' fish - to protect a way of life and a pasttime we all hold near and dear to our hearts. Trust me, if the odd fishfarmer ends up sprinkled amoungst us, they will soon realize they are not welcome here and in the face of such passionate resolve and fervent opposition - they will turn tail and run.

3) The fishfarmers have, over the years, carefully cultivated their image in the public-eye through a well-financed campaign of misinformation and media manipulation. In addition to the politicians who are 'in-bed' with them, image and public-opinion are everything. They are keenly aware of just how-thin the ice is they walk on. They are not about to do something overtly stupid or illegal(besides lying) in the face of opposition.

These things matter not to me Blueorca. On behalf of my Children and my Grandchildren I have made the decision to see this through and do what I can to eliminate this threat from our Coast.

It is not money that drives me to fight this and, trust me - this makes fishfarmers very uncomfortable.

Cheers,
Terry

Howdy!

Bump!

Where they hey are all you 'F.T.F.F' guy's?

Get on board!

Howdy!

Bump!

Where they hey are all you 'F.T.F.F' guy's?

Get on board!

this is a letter that i put up at ffbc and thought it applied..e-mail me for more info....
we have a lake that some of you have come here to fish and one that is kinda special. this lake is being ruined by the fish farming industry as we speek. lois lake a damed lake that is the bottom to one of the 3 main drainages here.it is a big body of water that has lots of standing timber.it is also the last lake in the chain that feeds lower eagle river witch had a return of salmon earlier this year.
(eagle rivers back) .the lake has several species of fish that are important to the fly fishing community . sticklebacks and sculpin are smaller bait fish in the lake and kokanee are the next size up. these are the species of concern here. they are the food source for what may be some of the worlds largest coastal cutthroat trout !
X is a unknown number .ok ....fallow me on this one.
there is only X amount of spawning grounds .
X amount of food fish, eg. (kokanee) come from those spawning grounds .
so only X amount of cutthroat will be able to eat and grow from these kokanee.
this is the natural cycle of the lake...now...add Atlantic and pacific salmon to the lake and thousands of rainbows to the lake that come from a steelhead background. the lois lake farm due to pure negligents has "lost '' 1000s of these fish into the lake . the people that they get to work there are uneducated in the aquaculture industry...infact most have never had anything to do with fish at all and have no right to be working at a farm...but they like them that way.
we are not talking about going up and catching some nice rainbows that got out of the farm .were talking 5-25 lb rainbows that are every were. all ends of the lake, you cant go any were with out catching a farm fish..
you may think ''cool that sounds fun on the fly''? but what are they eating....?
kokanee,stickleback,sculpin,cronies,dragons,scuds, drys, leaches and on and on..basically all the food for the cutthroat is being eaten..im not joking or pumping this issue up more than need be.this lake is full of farm rainbows and you can't kill them and they limited the amount of salmon you can kill in a day!
CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ! they limited the amount of an invasive species that we can get out of our world class cutthroat lake! so what can i do as a fisherman?
well i called jim roberts the bio holding the cutthroat file at the time. he comes up and i explain to him the situation and show him the lay of the land and take him fishing. i broke his cutthroat recored 3 times in one day. he listened to my concerns of lois lake.they were as fallows ;
1- will salmon and rainbows spawn and create wild populations in the lake?
2- will they eat kokanee and other food sources of the natural fish species?
3-will they move throughout the system and take habitat from the natural species?
4-will they migrate to salt water given the opportunity?
he was interested in these questions as well and the next time he came he brought aaron stodered the large lake bio with him and a bunch of minnow traps .we put traps in the feeder creeks and tried to catch a variety of baby fry to see if any salmon or rainbows showed up..we found baby salmon in a feeder creek after sampling only a small portion of the creeks feeding the lake.
so what did this do for the situation? well i was right they were populating they creeks and this gave them more money to do more investigation.we did a full large lake assessment ..all kinds of stuff water temps and depth ,set gill nets and dissected fish . i learned lots from the 3 days we spent on the lake. we also caught farm fish in the nets , and right now this the data that we collected is being processed . more will come from this but the government is very slow as we all know. so who is responsible to watch out that this does not happen?
mr Brian Barker is the "inspector" so i called him and told him about what was going on. he told me first that;
''no fish have escaped sense 1997 ''.
''if a escapement happens its between him and the farm and its not my concern''
''that he came here and there were no escaped fish and if i was going to push the issue that i should send him proof''
it goes on and on he is as crooked as the industry so i talked with the boss..same thing...so i wrote this letter it goes as follows

Nathan Demeester &lt;patcheshardheader@yahoo.ca&gt; wrote:

Hello bill this is Nathan Demeester or as you know me patches . Im very involved in the fishery in Powell river. Im head guide for Powell river out back adventures ,a private fishery consultant , I do brood stock for the Chapman creek steelhead program ,as well as collect D.N.A samples for several biologists from bull trout and dollies/rainbows and cutthroat . I give my time all over our fishery to make sure my 2 boys have these trophy cutthroat that live here in OUR back country for years to come . i say this so that you know that what i speak of, does not come from a place of ignorance. My message today is to inform you that if we as a community do not get some kind of responsible agency to look out for the wild fish of Lois lake soon, then we will take it to a new level of media and action to protect the world class cutthroat fishing of this area. After mr barkers rude and unprofessional comments on the phone..and then a few conversations with you i now understand that your office does not have any interest in OUR back country , or these spacial fishery's or protecting them as we hired you to do..Many more fish have escaped sense we talked last, there was a huge escape in the last wind storm of 5 lb fish that are all over once again . The fish have now left the lake and entered the river below. witch was all resident trout water till now . They were caught in the salt water along the shore between Lois river mouth and Lang creek and have been caught in the first few pools of Lang. this is your offices job !If you can do your job then we will find some agency that will. Mr barker took an oath . thats on the net as public record .stop defending the farm and farmer and do your job. I had aaron stodered the large lake biologist hear last year and we did a full large lake assessment of Lois and found farm fish . The local takle shop is covered in pictures of these farm fish. My 5 and 9 year old catch them, so why does your office pretend that they are not there? THEY POSE A THREAT TO THE FISHERY . And now we have video , pictures ,data and a very pist off community . We have the 'friends of eagle river' and the Georgia striate alliance .Im going to put this story on every fishing site on the inter net and u tube. Im going to call up every favor ,debt ,and persons that can make a difference in this situation . I told you guys whats going on and its not my job to prove the incompetents of the farm or farmer. ITS YOUR OFFICES AND ITS TIME YOU DO! Im sending a copy of this letter to every one that has an interest . If you care to help this situation then i am hear to help you....if your interest is only that of the farm and farmer . then we will find an agency that will live up to there responsibility and we will protect whats ours. I have 2 boys mr harrower...and they WILL guide Lois lake when they grow up and they will be catching the largest coastal cutthroat in world .thats what
i am leaving my boys....what would you have them fish for?...patches..patcheshardheader@yahoo.ca

Back