area 19-20 salmon

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

As much as I want to see fishing open every where, all the time. We will have to accept and support conservation efforts in our fisheries to protect the future stocks. (when there is a concervation concern, not an allocation concern ie. Hali)
It would just be easier to accept if it makes sense.

Is the size limit on chinook not 62cm in area 19?
That would be a pretty tight slot limit. 62-67cm.

Tips

area 19 west of Cadboro point 45cm min size for retention.
anyway it ends up you can only bonk one between 3 and 7 lbs.

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

IMO it's purely and simply designed to stop the FN fishery on the river. DFO can say, "see, we have stopped the recreational fishery now no netting in the river." It's politics.

Exactly. Also the reason the troll fleet gets pulled off the water March through April. The Dino did just that last year, and has already announced plans to do the same this. Reason stated as: If we allow anyone to fish these early depleted runs, the FN's will hammer them, they have directly told us so. So the only chance there is of keeping their nets out of the water is to shut every one else down.

aYup. Politics.

Cheers,
Nog

More than 85% of the weak ET Fraser stocks passing Victoria are greater than 67 cms. Hence the slot is between 45 cms and 67 cms. and their timing as they pass Victoria is Mar 1 to June 1.

We all need to remember our impact before the restriction was implemented in 2008 was really very low. Now our impact is SO LITTLE in the marine approach waters its less than 1 per cent of total interception. Largest impact is on the Fraser itself, where FN licensed FSC harvesting take chinook in drift nets.

The weak stock ET Fraser chinook are classed "stock of concern" the mixed stock chinook fishing off Victoria is NOT the concern.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Nog,

WCVI Troll fleet had fishing opportunity during part of that ET Fraser time last year and is likely to fish again this year. But only in a select area away of where the historic ET Fraser chinook have been caught before. By far the biggest part of their catch is US fish.

The 2008 DNA and CWT tag data report I saw yesterday, which was much increased from prior years, showed the Area G trollers were not catching any significant amount of ET Frasers (listed on the report as less than 0.1%)

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by Governor

Nog,

WCVI Troll fleet had fishing opportunity during part of that ET Fraser time last year and is likely to fish again this year.

No actually, they're not. I am a member of Area G. We were off the water from mid-March through mid-April last year due to this concern. And, we are on notice we will again be off the water prior to 15 March, with no absolute return date other than "later in April".

quote:The 2008 DNA and CWT tag data report I saw yesterday, which was much increased from prior years, showed the Area G trollers were not catching any significant amount of ET Frasers (listed on the report as less than 0.1%)

Correct. Our 'footprint' on Early Fraser's has been amongst the smallest of any for quite some time. Yet, we are amongst the first to take the hit. Same Old - Same Old. Appears The Dino can and will curtail our activities when they cannot control a particular other sector, sorta like being held for ransom by the FN's involved. Not that I'm really looking for the input, but I kinda wonder where the FN's Board Ambassador FA sits on this one - Everyone off the water, or we will wipe them out mentality?

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

As much as I want to see fishing open every where, all the time. We will have to accept and support conservation efforts in our fisheries to protect the future stocks. (when there is a concervation concern, not an allocation concern ie. Hali)
It would just be easier to accept if it makes sense.

Tips

I agree...if we are closed for conservation than the f/n should be closed as well

I don't fish till June, and I don't fish Fraser fish...

quote:it ends up you can only bonk one between 3 and 7 lbs

So it is open? What's the issue here?

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Originally posted by Governor

Nog,

WCVI Troll fleet had fishing opportunity during part of that ET Fraser time last year and is likely to fish again this year.

No actually, they're not. I am a member of Area G. We were off the water from mid-March through mid-April last year due to this concern. And, we are on notice we will again be off the water prior to 15 March, with no absolute return date other than "later in April".

Nog,

As I remember, what I read indicated Mar 1st and earlier there are some of the 7 weak ET Fraser stocks in your waters, that's why I suggested you were fishing (Mar 1 - Mar 15 in 2008 as you confirm) when they are present. I think there was an opening in Feb as well. You also got area restrictions in G waters too, designed to avoid interception during early Mar. I heard the chinook come in from open ocean and hit mid-west coast VI over a period of six to eight weeks and turn right and head for the Fraser via JDF passing Victoria around Mar 1.

It is just the challenge we all face with mix stock fisheries when abundance is not at historic levels

Gov

Back