Are NON counter rotating twins common?

Rain City

Crew Member
Looking at a possible boat. It has twin merc 115s that are both right hand. Is this normal? Terrible handling? Appreciate any advice.

The Searay I sold to Sttr had non counter rotating 115 Mercs. It is common.The only difference I found was handling in reverse.You can "Google" and see responses,some people preferr it this way because they have the same bottom end.Not hard to find if you need one. I found the handling to feel normal in forward gear,but it wants to pull to port in reverse more than a single engine would, which makes sense. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was looking at it.

The Searay I sold to Sttr had non counter rotating 115 Mercs. It is common.The only difference I found was handling in reverse.You can "Google" and see responses,some people preferr it this way because they have the same bottom end.Not hard to find if you need one. I found the handling to feel normal in forward gear,but it wants to pull to port in reverse more than a single engine would, which makes sense. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was looking at it.
Not uncommon at all in that hp range!
Awesome thanks guys.

Coming from your twin duo-prop, great question. Prop updates will be easier, the used market for Merc RH Props is usually good. Command Thrust or standard? (different props)

Coming from your twin duo-prop, great question. Prop updates will be easier, the used market for Merc RH Props is usually good. Command Thrust or standard? (different props)
Good question. I'm waiting on all the specs.

You can always put a counter rotation leg on when the double pull may convnince you go go the route

I’ve got a pair of 115 RH Yammies on my boat . They work great . Bit more pull to port in reverse , but hardly noticeable. Actually helpful for where I dock.(Port side tie up). Could see it being more of a thing with bigger motors tho .

Pretty common, CR gearboxes end up going a lot more than standard rotation in my experience (about 14 commercial sets). Having them set wider apart helps the tracking and reversing issue as well, catamarans are essentially unaffected due to the hull design and spacing.

Back